Post-spinal fusion pains - instrument or vertebra movement?

Posted , 3 users are following.

On 5th July 2015 I had my thoracic spine fused - the operation itself went reasonably well, a few minor complications but nothing serious.

I recovered fairly well and was beginning to get back to normal life, but around 5-6 weeks ago I began getting stabbing pains periodically around T6 - as the pains were always centred around one vertebrae, I felt the area during a period when it was less painful and have found that I can feel a few lumps either side of the tender vertebrae.

I wondered if this could possibly be a movement in the bone itself or the instruments in that area? Has anyone else experienced something similar?

Also, any pain-management tips? I really don't like taking painkillers like paracetemol and try to avoid it whenever possible!

Thank you! Izzie

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi.

I also have lumps all down my spine after my fusion i think it might be the screws but am not sure. Also i feel like i might have a loose screw or somthing as if i take a heavy step of something i can feel it vibrate.

I am 18 an 2 months post opp

• Posted

Hi I had my op Feb 2015, fused T2-L2. I had that feeling but I noticed it was when things got stressful. Also sometimed just simple exercise irritated the back and it would become swollen. Simple pain relief did the trick. Like you I don't like tablets but it helps. If you had a screw loose it would protrude and would show through your skin. The stabbing pains I had a lot of round your time and was told it is the healing process. That went of for best part of 6months. Be patient as you are still early days of what is a two year recovery. Even now I have good/bad days. Days when the back feels heavy and I can feel almost every piece of metal in my back. Best Wishes.
    • Posted

Thanks for letting me no wasnt sure weather it was normal or not haha. An the surgon said i should be back boxing in a year so got plenty of time to recover
    • Posted

Jay,

Thank you! You really put my mind at ease, and I've just come back from scans with my surgeon and it looks like there is a screw a little too close to the skin which is rubbing and causing the discomfort - not a lot to be done about it other than more surgery which seems unnecessary so I'll leave it tie to heal and hopefully my muscles will strengthen around it to reduce the rubbing.

Thank you again, I hope your recover continues to go well!

Best wishes, Izzie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.