Eye flashes

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone experienced 'flashes' in an eye - (totally different to floaters)?

If so, how long did it last - have been told could take up to three months.

Did it get worse with detiorating peripheral vision - a sign of retinal displacement.?

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Connected to what? In general? I get them. I have optic nerve pallor, and some issues.  But the flashes are from the brain i thought.  There are lights that are different from pvd. Flashes are not like the pvd light. I get strange stuff and important that you care for dry eyes if you have that.
    • Posted

How do you care for dry eyes (maybe a stupid question) but when i wake in the morning my eyes are so dry i cannot see i have to run to the bathroom and sprinkle water into them.  Is that dry eye i never knew?
    • Posted

THe best answer I found was an 'eye pad' - not a beauty one but a wheat one. You put it in a microwave for a short time, then over your closed eyes - it warms your natural eye oils, melts any brockages. 

Try it - not too expensive

• Posted

You need drops or gel for dry eyes.water wont work. Systane makes some. And refresh in little viles you can carry with you, They have a night time gels and drops too. you need to care for dry eyes. Take some salmon oil gel caps too.
  • Posted

Can i ask how old you are..and yes i have had them in both eyes.i have what they call vitreous detachment..this is not detachment of the retuna.it usually occurs when you get older..normal part of ageing process especially if you are near sited.It can however happen at a younger age.
    • Posted

Lots of info on the net about this
  • Posted

Yeah i have it and im worried, i have flashes in my periferal vision and if i look at something bright (like the sky on a Summers day).  I had retina tears about 15 years ago and im worried about detactment.  Although in saying that i have had flashes for a number of years too.  have you been to an opticians?
    • Posted

I have been to my doctor, who advised me to see an optician. Fortunately they had all the equipment for a thorough eye-medical, forewarned me it could take up to 3 months, but to come back or see A & E  if I the peripheral vision 'goes down hill'. I notice mine more in late afternoon/evening it's like a camera flash. So far so good, the length of the flash is getting smaller.
  • Posted

I did many years ago when I had retinal tears in both eyes within a few months of each other, ages 49 and 50, now 75. Went away eventually.
    • Posted

How long do mean by 'eventually'?

As I said the length of flash is smaller, before it seemed to from one end to the other, now just in the corner, but my eyes get tired - can't watch TV for long - even doing this is a struggle!

The doctor said that it can effect those of a 'certain age' - I'm 63.

• Posted

I've also had dry eyes for years, comes with age, vitreous gel breaking away. Systane Ultra and Lacrilube are my best friends
  • Posted

Hi,I have flashes on the right side of my right eye and loss of peripheral vision,went to Moorefield's eye hospital to get it checked,only to find out that I have a growth on the back of the eye,which is leaking fluid causing retinal detachment,now they say the only way to get rid of it is to remove the eye itself,best thing for you to do is get your eye checked,hope it won't be as bad as mine,I'm also looking for any alternative solution's to save and reduce the growth,if anyone else is reading this let me know if there is another way to save the eye without having surgery.Thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.