RA positive and PMR

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi All, I mentioned a while back about a 'new Pain' in only one leg. My GP said its because I'm showing RA positive in my blood that the pain is related to that in the cold and wet weather!! Mmmm mmmm do you think that could be right? I'm not due to see my rheumatologist until March and I'm wondering whether I should challenge my GP, anyone else on here with similar circumstances?

many thanks Andrea 😀

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Glad he's not my GP!!!!! You can have RA and be seronegative and be seropositive and perfectly healthy. So that is no indication that you have RA! There are a few more criteria to fulfil before that diagnosis can be made. 

Here's a bit of reading whihc may help:

https://patient.info/health/rheumatoid-arthritis-leaflet

Why not call your consultant's secretary and ask if there is any chance of getting the appointment brought forward and explain why? Say you'll take a late cancellation - but that will mean being prepared to drop everything and go at very short notice. 

He IS possibly right about the weather though - it does have an effect on arthritic joints. But I can't remember now what you said about your "new pain" to make any other suggestions. Is it getting worse?

• Posted

Thank you Eileen, the new pain feels more like an arthritic pain rather than 'PMR stiffness',  but whereas before it was on and off, it seems more constant now!! I'm tempted to increase pred by 1mg, but I'm wondering if it's the 'stress' of panicking for Christmas, plus my employer is wondering whether to finish me on ill-health,  that it could just be PMR pain, but only one leg??? I will however phone rheumatology to see if I can have a January appointment!!

🤔🤔🤔

• Posted

Does finishing on ill-health mean you will have an income without working? Like retiring? We have never regreted taking early retirement despite a much lower income - you spend less too! If you can afford it - it helps a LOT with PMR!

I've had my say about Christmas in a post on another thread - there is no point panicking about Christmas. Someone else said something to the effect of "awful" Christmas. If that is how you feel about Christmas it  is high time to cancel it - or at the very least book a table at a restaurant if you cannot face saying you will eat as you normally do, just something a bit nicer than usual (fillet steak intead of rump for example). My shopping list is no different from normal - I do make 8 mince pies as I have a jar of mincemeat and a bit of pastry is no big deal, and brandy butter. Nothing else - I can't buy tradiitonal UK Christmas goodies here so I can't stuff my face! If you need to have a family "do" either go out and everybody pays their own or - if you are rich - you take them out. If they come to stay - lay the bedding on the bed, let them make it. They take turns at doing things. You are not well, you get to rest. No panicking - it is supposed to be the season of peace and goodwill!!!!!!!

What I meant about the pain was - where is it? Is it in a hip? Bursitis/synovitis/tendonitis also progress if not dealt with and can be just one joint.

• Posted

It's more in the groin and then top of the thigh, the Achilles of that leg is playing up too!! I had tendinitis of the Achilles 4 months before full blown PMR,! I'm now thinking a flare?? Oh dear sorry to be a pest by telling you all this Eileen! Xx
    • Posted

If it is groin/top of your thigh the first thing I'd think of is trochanteric (outside of thigh) or ileopsoas (in the groin) bursitis.

https://patient.info/health/greater-trochanteric-pain-syndrome

or google "Hip bursitis - orthoinfo AAOS" for a good picture.

They give some suggestions for calming it down but the real answer to that is a local cortisone shot - not into the joint so not particulalry painful (just an injection).

What's being a pest? That's what the forum is for - bouncing questions off people who have been there and got the t-shirt.

• Posted

This year I handed each child and partner a chunk of change and said "Fill your own Christmas stockings."  They are all thrilled.  Of course nowI keep seeing the "perfect" things for them. wink
    • Posted

Thanks ever so much Eileen, I've just followed your thread, and yes it seems very much like that!! There was a little rise in my CRP in October too, so there's obviously a tad more inflammation running around my body to upset the apple cart! The bottom line of the thread was the advice of 'rest' huh that's just what I haven't been doing of late! Thank you again xxx
    • Posted

Hi Eileen, it happened to me recently when I could not move my left leg into bed because of extreme groin and hip pain.  This was a second attack I have had within a year.  Finally the next morning I could see a doctor, and an Orthopedic doctor dealing with Sports Medicin took an ultra sound and gave me a cortisone shote.  After numming, I did not feel the shot.....not painful..... but what a relief soon after.  I walk much better.

• Posted

Excuse my not proper English....meaning "numbing". :-)

• Posted

Any possibility you can see your rheumatologist sooner? I am not in similar circumstances, but I have usually gotten 2nd opinions.
  • Posted

I have PMR,  Osteoarthritis and Gout and am trying to cope with this sudden onset of damp weather.  Cold is alright, especially if it is sunny as well.  It's sometimes difficult to differentiate between the pains of the above, and any new pain adds to the difficulties.

Wrapping up warm, using hot water bottles or heating bean bags in the microwave helps me.  A hot bath does wonders, too.

I have to force myself to go out when it's raining (afraid I'll shrink)😃.

Christmas cheers me up.  I love the lights, the shops, the food (miss some of the English dishes though) and, of course, the odd tipple!🍷

Hope you sort your problem out soon.  All the best and good wishes

Constance.🎄

• Posted

My gosh Constance where do you live that doesn't have the odd tipple? It reminds me of a friend who married a Dutch lady who was determined to make a traditional British turkey for her husband. The only trouble was she served the mince pies as part of the turkey course. 
    • Posted

No no Ptolemy, I broke the sentence up if you remember I 'love Christmas' ESPECIALLY the odd tipple.

I live in Germany by the way.

C. 🍷🎄

• Posted

Christmas tipple on this side of the channel is much more fun than a Christmas sherry rolleyes - Gluehwein, Punsch, Sekt, prosecco, wine...
    • Posted

can you tell me about the gout please, i have severe pain in my foot, it stems from my big toes and the pain in unbearable have been to doctors and hospital for 3 months now, and all i get is painkillers, last time at the hospital i ha an xray but nobody hs got back to me about this.

i have had some blood tests at the doctors and will be ringing them today to see what the results were. Many thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.