Confused by bisoprolol

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi

My cardiologist prescribed 1.25mg bisoprolol for heart palpitations. I think I misunderstood the Doctor as I'm sure he said to take it as and when I get the palps but my GP said no, I should be taking it daily. The reason I went to GP was because I was dizzy. He seemed to think it was because I kept stop starting them. I'm exhausted too but I haven't had a pill for three days as I haven't had any palps. I'm sort of scared of taking them because my blood pressure is lowish and I'm scared it will make it lower. My pulse rate is 59/60 where it's usually around 75. I don't know what to do. My GP said do you prefer the palps then ? He's not very sympathetic. Any advice please ?

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kim. Your GP is right you need regular daily doses of bisoprolol to improve things. The dose you are on is fairly low so long as you monitor yr pulse and BP you should be fine. I miss d a days dose of mine (1.25mg)  and did I know it. Felt awful washed out exhausted even walking short distances and within an HR of taking the tablet I felt normal again. This could be why if you've been taking it on an ad hoc basis. The tablet advice is not to miss a dose. Any further worries see your GP 
  • Posted

What a nice bedside manner your doctor has!

I have palps., but doctor told me to take bisoprolol every day  and the consultant told me that also. I had a 24 hour heart monitor on,but nothing happened so I think it's best to do as advised, it;s only a low amount so you should be O.K. (says me)  Good luck .  ps, get another doctor    

• Posted

Hi Kim, well I would agree with the other posts. Take it daily, 1.25 Mg is only a small amount, and as Jean said take it every day. Stopping and starting isn't a good plan. My GP has just halved my dose, and she reckons it will take 2 weeks to see any result, so obviously it takes time to get in an out of your system. 
  • Posted

im such a twit, i coulda sworn my cardio said as and when !!

shouldnt i feel more tired and how ive been feeling ON the pills instead of off them? i havent take one in three days and feel like C***

Julie you actually felt worse when you missed the dose?

I have been on it for two days off it for three days for about two months, it's no wonder im feeling so horrible i think.

So is there a better time of day to take it? im thinking before bed as it makes me drowsy through the day.

• Posted

Hi yes I forgot to take it and only realised the next morning after I'd been out dragging myself abt. Took it when I realised. And as say felt better soon after.

Some on here advice taking it evenings as then some of the side effects (aches etc) will occur when you are asleep. It can make you drowsy anyway. my advice us take it at time that suits you as everyone is different

• Posted

Hi kim ,

My consultant said that I could take my 1.25 mg dose as and when required and I have that in writing . My doctor said that I had to take it every day ! I stopped taking it after 5 weeks as my pulse dropped to 31 BPM . I also realised from reading back over consultants letters that I was prescribed bisoprolol for tachycardia (fast heart rate) when I actually have proximal AF and bradycardia (slow heart rate ) . I am it seems tricky to treat as have both fast and slow heart rhythms .Just had my 3rd holter tape monitor over the weekend so hopefully I will get some answers soon.

• Posted

I had a seven day ECG monitor that showed that I had tachy-bradycardia with 3 second gaps between beats and my heart rate around 40bpm. I was fitted with a pacemaker that kicks in when my heart rate goes below 60bpm.
    • Posted

Hi, that's just what I have had done three days for exactly the same reasons. Are you on any meds? How do you feel?, best, Mike
    • Posted

The pacemaker does not cure the AF it just stops my heart rate from going too low so you still get symptoms. Now I need an AV node ablation so that the pacemaker can take over my heart beat.

I am only taking Losartan for my BP.  

• Posted

Thanks for getting bck to me - I am finding this rather hard as I had no symptoms at al. I was living perfectly happily with a slow heart rate - cycling, skiing, climbing etc. But the ECG came back with a whole of things wrong with my heart - AF, AFl, tachybrady, ectopic beats, pauses up to 4 seconds, that the cardiologist said I should not ignore, Hence the pacemaker on Saturday. Did you have sympoms? And how long did you take to recover from op? thanks, Mike
    • Posted

The actual procedure is no bother and nothing to be concerned about.

As one of the team said, the cath lab is the safest place in the world as they have everyting there to save lives in an emergency. I lay there talking to the EP as he was doing it although the nurse later said that the sedation had made me drop off a couple of times.

The problem is that you are advised to restrict arm movements for six weeks so that is very awkward. Most people sail through it but I had quite a few problems. I was told by three people after diagnosis that I needed a dual chamber pacemaker but was fitted with a single chamber one. The one who fitted it said that was what was on the letter that he had from the one who told me that I needed a dual chamber one.

I developed a chest pain later in the day that I recognised as a pneumo thorax and had to have fluid drained from my lung the next day as the catheter had punctured my chest wall.

Initially I was not aware of the pacemaker except when washing and could barely detect where it was. Now after three months it looks like a swelling on my chest and I have muscle discomfort round it and under my arm. I had a cardiology appointment two weeks ago but they said that it was well seated and ignored how it looked. I also have some breast growth on that side and a sensitive itching nipple that they said to see my GP about and he has arranged for a CT scan.

My GP said that the pacemaker moves and is not in its original position and should not show as obviously as it does. He asked if I wanted it removed... I said that I still need it but perhaps it should be replaced.

Some hospitals put the pacemaker into a pocket made of pig material that the body attaches to better. Most are made of nickel but some are gold coated. I had meant to comment on a nickel allergy that stops me from wearing a watch.  For years I have had some blotches on my arms that come and go but are now much more widespread. I did not suggest that connection to my GP when he commented on them when he looked at my chest. 

The other person who had a pacemaker fitted on the same day came back with chest pains the next day. They examined him and told him that they were not cardiac related and sent him on his way.Like you he had no symptoms and his heart rate was in the 20's and was found when he went for a pre operation check prior to a hip replacement that then had to be cancelled.

Well you did ask:-)

Good luck for Saturday.

• Posted

Did the cardio not send you a letter after your appointment? You could phone the hospital and speak to his secretary to ask, Some people do take it as required. Although 1.25mg is the lowest dose I had to stop it due to side effects, It works too well for me. My heart rate went down from 136 to 38bpm after a 2.5mg tablet in the morning and one at night. My doctor then reduced the dosage to 1.25mg .
  • Posted

Hopefully I can add something to previous posts but firstly 1.25 daily has to the smallest dosage you can take. I am amazed if it has much effect as bisops half life that is the time it takes to reach its maximum effect is 2 hours and the total effect is 4 hours.I take mine at 4 hourly intervals as taking them all at once knocked me out and seemed crazy anyway. Based on this if you get your palps at a similar time each day then aim to take the bisop offset by 2 hours. If palps occur at random intervals then try taking med as others have suggested when it feels best for you. People react differently to bisop,

It may be you should look at possible reasons you get the palps (too much coffee,  alcohol, nicotine or anxiety , physical exercise ) in case you can help yourself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.