Still in pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

i wrote a couple of nights ago about my hip surgery in August and now having a flare up of pmr in my operated leg.  I am now up to 20 mg and although the pain completely goes from about an hour after taking my pred (I take it around 2am) until about 5pm when the pains start coming back.  By the time I go to bed I'm in really bad pain until I take my next pred.  I've been taking paracetamol for the pain in between but it doesn't seem to have much effect anymore.

i was wondering if I should split my does to half at 2am and half mid afternoon.  Any advice would be appreciated.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had problems with my pain returning late afternoon. To initially get it under control (20mg daily) i took 10mg in morning 5 at lunch and 5 mg at dinner. After a couple of weeks i went to 15 mg morning and 5mg at supper.

My rumi knew about this and has me splitting 2x now daily. I'm just reducing to 17.5 so i take 12.5 am and 5mg at supper.

I am a great advocate of splitting only way i co trol the return of afternoon pain.

Good luck

• Posted

Thank you for that, I will certainly consider splitting.  My Rheumy is not very sympathetic and won't even like the fact that I have increased but couldn't stand the amount of pain I have been getting.  

Sue

• Posted

Sorry Maid Mariane and Crystalcave that you have been having so much trouble getting pain under control.  Hope things get better soon.
    • Posted

Because of my splitting i wake up most days pain free and it's my right arm that serms like a wimp noodle with agrivating pain late in the day. Compared to most if you I'm great.
  • Posted

I know that it has helped me.  I split my dose, one 5mg at 10pm of coated pred (Rayos here in U.S.) and one 5mg in morning when I wake up.  It has worked for me so that the pain is way in the background consistently unless I do something crazy like lift a boat or something.  Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.