Ankle Pain

Posted , 2 users are following.

I posted a few months back about a bad PF flare up. This took ages to go and I was left with a stiff, sore heel/ankle for six weeks.

Well things went back to normal and I tried wearing as suggested on one post Skechers Go Walk trainers. I found these very light and comfortable but after three days wear have a bad ankle pain, and stiffness of the heel tendons.

The shoes, while comfortable, are not really supportive and the soles being very flexible do not help over bumpy kerbs and pavements.

The worst pain and pressure point is on the outer edge of the heel. It is not PF as I recognise it but does seem to be associated.

Anyone had something similar and ideas of best treatment?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like peroneal tendonitis.  Limit use of foot, keep it elevated and do calf stretches twice a day.

A friend of mine has bad feet and wears ASICS Men's Gel Nimbus 17.  He says it has a great cushion for the heel.  Expensive at $150 but I guess you get what you pay for.

• Posted

Looked that up and it does semm to fit.

I found the Skechers Go Walk so comfortable I wore them constantly for three days with a lot of walking. They are are very low at the heel and give no support there so maybe with pronation  I stretched the tendon.

Am taking anti-inflammatories and ice baths so will see if that helps - I only use doctors as a last resort!

I often wear Teebok Easytone shoes but have Asics Gel Nimbus which I'll give a try.

Many thanks for your help

• Posted

I had PF for 2 years and have only recently got through it. Just getvyiur eps when I have over done it. But when possible I wear my running trainers with my bespoke insoles. I am not a runner but my foot man who made the insoles sent me to a professional running shop who fitted me up. You need flexibility ( you should be able to Bend the shoes length ways but not sideways or twist) and support, quite stiff round ankles and learn how to lace up to the top using those extra hole no one ever uses!

also see a phisio and do all the exercises every day without fail. Calf stretches are the best as this is where the underlying problem comes from, a shortening of the calf tendons.

get someone who loves you to give you a foot massage every night too!!

although mostly I did my own but it does help and don't afariad to be tough on them, it's good to really push out the hurty bits.

cx 

• Posted

Am trying the calf stretching which I hope will work in the ling term.

My doctor prescribed Naproxin which is an anti-inflammatory and strong pain killer. I took double the recommended dose (maybe not wise) for three days and this really seemed to do the trick. However with PF, apart from some basic measures it seems treatment and causes do differ widely from person to person, so what suits one may not help another.

I also found a pair of Crocs clogs which are supportive and very heel cushioning and have been wearing those as my heel was so swollen with a lump like an ice cream cone sticking out, that I couldn't wear any closed back shoes.

Just stiffness left now and finges crossed ok for the rigours of Christmas!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.