New to this board. Need advice.

Posted , 10 users are following.

I'm having bunion surgery on a" moderate to severe" bunion on my left foot sometime after Christmas.  I have no idea what I'm going to be capable of or incapable of during the first 2 weeks or so.  My doc says I will have to be non weight bearing for 6 weeks followed by PT for who knows how long.  I have asemi-retired husband who works part time and a few friends in the area (we're pretty new to this area).  My sister who is in another state and almost 80 has offered to come help me.  She's in good health but she is elderly so not terribly active or strong.  Will I need someone everyday, all day?

Any advice, help suggestions is most appreciated.

I had hip replacement 5 years ago and my friend who had hers done was so helpful to me.  I'm glad to have found y'all!!

2 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

For the first two weeks you walk on your heel of the operated foot only. After that you slowly increase how much of your foot touches the floor. For the first day after you will need help. I spent the day in bed. The day after I got up and got about a bit. I was home alone and managed to make drinks and snacks. I kept a carrier bag on my crutches so could carry things. When you are sitting you need to prop up your operated foot.

Hope this helps and your surgery goes well. X

• Posted

Hi Sally 2403,

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. 

My doc said I have to be completely non weight bearing (like in no walking on my operated foot at all for 6 weeks).  He's suggested a knee walker, a wheelchair or crutches or a combination of the 3 to get around when I feel like it..  Perhaps my bunion is too severe (it is like...super ugly, although it doesn't hurt) and too much needs to be fixed in my foot to touch it down on the floor at al!.

• Posted

Hi Joanne,

I had my first bunionectomy last December, had another in July on the same toe, this time with plate and screws because the arthritis, I was due another op on the same toe last Tuesday, but because the junior doctor  strike it has been postponed until January, the third op is to correct the position of the toe as there is a big gap.

I found it painful post op both times, although with the first I needed physio which was very painful, physio not needed second time as the toe is now fused.

I have seen these knee walkers and they look fantastic, enable you to get around more, if offered defo get one!

• Posted

Lapidus has a longer recovery than the other surgeries. I had right foot Lapidus 8/28 and left foot Lapidus 11/5. If you're on facebook, join our Lapidus bunionectomy group.
    • Posted

What is the name of your group, so I can find it on Facebook?  Thanks!
  • Posted

Hi Joanne.  I am also having bunion surgery just a few days after Christmas.  I'm having pins in my left big toe, hammertoe repair on the second toe, and another pin for a tailor's bunion on the same foot.  Like you, the doctor told me 6 weeks totally non-weight bearing.  I have a knee scooter, crutches and a walker.  I also have a portable potty chair that sets over the potty -it will be easier because it is higher.  I am also recovering from a hysterectomy that I had on Dec. 3rd, but I'm much more anxious about this foot surgery.
    • Posted

Hi,

I'm a little jumpy about this too! The idea of being off my feet for 6 weeks is tough. I have a raised potty seat from a previous surgery. Is the walker a regular walker like you see in nursing homes? I talked with my chiropractor about the knee scooter and she mentioned it might be a little hard on your knee and back. Great! 😥

My repair is further down the top of my foot from the bunion... screws and plate. Therapy afterwards to teach me how to walk because my gait is off from compensating for this bunion. Let's keep in touch. We'll have lots of time to write. I wish you all the best. J

• Posted

Yor surgery sounds very similar to mine, Joanne.  Mine is also further down into my foot because of the size of the bunion.  My doctor recommended the knee scooter, which I think will be good for large open spaces, but I don't think it will do too well in most places in my house.  The walker is just a basic walker that used to be my dad's, and I can't imagine how it will help if I can't put any weight on my foot.  The crutches are difficult for me right now because of the hysterectomy I had on Dec. 3rd.  I honestly can't figure out how this is all going to worl, but others have done it before us, right?  Yes...definitely keep in touch!  What date is your surgery?  Mine is on the 29th.
    • Posted

I was thinking the same thing about the walker. Not sure if it will help that much. Yep, others have done this before us. We can do it!

Mine isn't even scheduled yet. I have to go do some physical therapy first that they recommended. I'll let you go first! ☺

I'll be thinking about you. Keep in touch.

• Posted

A walker will not work if you are NWB. And no need for a raised toilet seat. Easy enough to lift off with your arms(unlike hip replacement, which I had last year, when I could not sit at 90 dergrees). Learn to use your core to stay straight and your arms to lift. And get lots of books to read. Good luck
  • Posted

If you are ordered to be non weight bearing for six weeks that is what it means. I had my surgery 12/1 and cannot walk on the heel or any part of my operated foot for three more weeks. Get a knee scooter. Also my pain was minor--off pain pills in two days. Ignore the replies that say you can use your foot at all for the first six weeks--they had a different surgery. If you are going to try to use crutches (I tried but abandoned because the crutches triggered bursitis in my hip, which was replaced last year) get Mobilegs. 
    • Posted

Thanks, Carol, for all the great advice.  I checked out Mobilegs, but can you tell me why you like them as compared to regular crutches?  Is it worth it to pay $149.99?
    • Posted

The main reason is the fact that it does not hurt your armpit. Flexible mesh that moves when you do. With regular crutches you can cause nerve damage in a few days. Also easier to manage and much lighter. All crutches are horrible, particularly for women. We don't have the upper body  strength. I can bench 90 but hate crutches. 
    • Posted

Thanks again, Carol!  My mobilegs arrived today!  smile
    • Posted

Be sure and practice before your surgery. Crutches are not very stable and tha last thing you want to do is topple and stop your fall with the operated toot. I love my knee scooter and, for crutches Mobilegs are great. I am 23 days post surgery, 18 days before I can walk on the horrible surgical shoe. No pain after the second day but much boredom. But my foot looks so much better than pre-surgery. Good luck!
    • Posted

Let me know, szqnva, if you like your mobilegs.  I sure read good things about them.  I'll be anxious to hear your opinion.  smile
    • Posted

The boredom sounds excruciating. sad

Let me ask you something.  I work part time.  Would I be able to go to work?  It's a sit down job mostly or I can make it a sit down job, but does my operated foot have to be elevated like all day when I'm sitting or can it hang down while I work?  My doc seemed to indicate I could go to work after 2 weeks but I'm wondering if he's telling me correct.

• Posted

I work part time. MyMD OKd me for three months off. Realistically I could have gone back after three weeks because I could prop my leg on my scooter under my desk. Two weeks is ridiculously short and would not work. I will go back after five weeks because there is no point in going back during the holidays. But you will be very tired after each day of work. So try for four weeks. Of course my doc just got off of three months NWB because of a torn Achilles' tendon so he knows what it is like. And I am reading a book a day so it is not too bad, but my butt hurts from all the sitting
    • Posted

And wardrobe is an issue. If you have a k pin for hammertoe you need pants with very wide legs or be willing to wear skirts without hose/tights. 
    • Posted

Carol...I don't have to work, but will have a pin for my hammertoe.  Will stretch yoga pants work?  I plan to wear them home from the hospital.
    • Posted

I've only practiced with them a bit, but so far they definitely are easier, and more comfortable.  I got the "ultra" version which has rubber mesh underarm pieces which give with your weight.  They are also ergonomic and lighter.  And I know crutches will never be "fashionable" but they are white and actually kinda cool looking!  smile
    • Posted

That would be tough, but should work if you do it very carefully and slowly, with much stretching.  The pin sticks up at a strange angle and the surgical shoe is huge (which is good because it protects the pin).  I am using the same pants that I used for hip replacement--Gap Body knit pants with drawstring top.  A friend bent her k pin pulling on pants, and I'm not about to risk it.
    • Posted

I've been trying to practice with the Mobilegs, and I'm not making a lot of progress.  I think the biggest reason is my lack of upper body strength.  I can only go about 6 steps before I am exhausted.  About the same as the regular crutches, but you're right in that my arm pit doesn't hurt as much.  I can also hop about 6 - 10 steps with the walker.  But the scooter is by far the best!
    • Posted

My yoga pants are a little large on me and very stretchy.  My doc also didn't say anything about a "shoe".  I am supposed to have some type of splint for the first two weeks and then I will graduate to a boot.  If worse comes to worse...I'll just tell the nurse to cut the sides of my pants.  rolleyes

• Posted

You are lucky. I had pretty extreme surgery and am wearing the Darco wedge now non weight bearing for six weeks  and then two weeks walking on it (there is a YouTube on how to walk in it and it looks horrible). The scooter is great. I had no problem with upper body on Mobilegs because I am a gym rat, but after 15 minutes or so my new hip started hurting. So I only use the scooter now. Steps are an issue but other than that it is great. If you are getting a k pin for hammertoe I am not sure how you are going to protect it. That is the only good thing about the Darco wedge. It is soooooo big it protects the pin in most circumstances. Good luck. I have four weeks down and it is fine other than the boredom

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.