stopping tramadol

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello to all . This is a first for me , never posted anything on line before so quite nervous. Anyway needed to talk about Tramadol pain killers. I really did not realise what I was getting into 18 months ago when I was prescribed  them for shoulder problems that have required two lots of surgery one unsuccessfull the other good so I've been munching on these tablets just to keep up whith my v physical job. BIG MISTAKE . Although I have to say they did a good job at getting me through my working day keeping pain at bay but now shoulder is ok no more need for tablets.stopped taking them altogether four days ago. Now I understand what a addictive and dangerous drug it is. Have suffered many very unpleasant withdrawal symptoms   Temperature changes hot and cold very bad leg and arm twitches. Impossible to sleep. Upset tummy. Nausea. Dry mouth. No energy. Feeling depressed(not like me)  and also some hard to describe brain buzzes  which make your hearing pulse. Hope somebody out there understands what I'm trying to describe please let me know. Anyway on forth day of cold turkey an slowly feeling a bit better although lack of sleep still a huge problem knowing what I know now I would never started taking this poison so anyone out there thinking of starting to take them. Please think again they are no joke when you no longer need them please don't. Find a alternative if possible although it's not easy when your in pain. Hope these comments are useful and wold love to get a reply as its my first time posting anything  all the best..

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I am glad you were able to go through with the cold turkey. Don't take tramadol again, unless you need it post surgery, and then no longer than a week. If you get restless legs, try taking iron supplements. Also, try eating a baked potato before bed for the depression. I have found out the hard way that anti-depressents after tramadol are good for a bit, but not really addresing the problem,  that the brain needs to learn how to function without drugs. Tell you GP what you think about tramadol, and share the experiences you have had and are having. They need to here from real people what their prescribing does. 
    • Posted

Thanks for reply happy joy . Some good advice. Will def have a word with GP they need to know. Ps love baked spuds give it ago.thanks.
  • Posted

Hi stephen

I've been a on tramadol for 2 years for back pain (car accident) I have been reducing for the last 6 months I tried tov go cold Turkey but couldn't deal with the withdrawal! I'm now on 100mg a day 2×50 mg I was on 800mg a day 2×50mg 4 times a day I've found that's the best way of coming of without pain I'm under supervision of my doctor and a drugs and alcohol misuse service and all's going well.. are you still going cold Turkey? Your a brave man if you are 😃. Now days the docs just dish them out like sweets and most docs aren't trained to help with reducing it's ridiculous ...

Good luck mate keep in touch

Tony 😀

• Posted

Hi TOny many thanks for reply..did wonder about getting medical help seems v sensible but im v stubborn at times so made my mind Togo cold turkey.But on the second day I had my doubts. felt as bad as anything I've had in my life,. But now into day four small improvements are starting to show there is light at the end of the tunnel and it's not the train coming the other way. It also helps to share this problem with other people I find my wife and kids are a big help. Always share a problem . How long 
    • Posted

Sorry about that no good on computers. Are you in uk.....
    • Posted

Keep messing reply up sorry. How long do you think it will be before you are not dependant on tablets. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.