In Agony at moment with extensive Diverticular Disease and looking for advice and help.

Posted , 11 users are following.

Newly been diagnosed with extensive Diverticular Disease and just out hospital after 4 days getting antibiotics intravenously. Currently on course of oral antibiotics Ammoxicillin and Metronidizole but confined to bed in agony here after trying to eat some soup earlier as i have had no food for 4 days and can only tolerate a small Actimel in the mornings and drink lots of water throughout the day. If i eat i have excruciating pain and foul smelling watery diarrhoea. Really feel ill here and i am at the end of my tether which has prompted me to seek the help and advice of other sufferers. Thank you all in advance for any help you can give me.

0 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Jane,

Been there and it's just plain dreadful. Have you had a CT Scan recently? I had also reached the end of my rope and ended up having a sigmoid colectomy after years of suffering. Ask your GP if you can have one, that way they will be able to see how extensive the damage is and might offer you other solutions ie. Surgery. Elective surgery is far better than the alternative.

• Posted

Oh Thank you Stephanie for answering. Yes I had CT scan 2 days ago and also the camera up my back passage. Been told the disease is extensive and they want to try and control the inflamation with antibiotics as they dont want to operate until its absolutely necessary. The complications i have at present is that i also suffer from Rheumatoid Arthritis and i am currently taking Methotrexate to keep inflamation levels down for this but Methotrexate is very potent and an Immuno Suppressant drug and cancels out antibiotics. Been off the Methotrex for a few weeks now to give antibiotics a chance to work but blood results show infection levels are coming down but i am wondering if its still inflamation thats causing this pain and its something i just need to see through. Just at the end of my tether with pain and taking tramadol and paracetamol every 4 hrs.
    • Posted

Hi Jane,

If the disease is extensive I'm surprised they have not offered you the choice of surgery. Poor you with added complications, it's bad enough on its own never mind arthritis on top. I insisted that they do something for me as I just couldn't cope living as I was, constant pain, half my life on the loo, struggling to eat anything that didn't make me ill. If you got this under control you'd feel so much better. I had my op 2 years ago and although difficult and long recovery no regrets at all. I would try and see your consultant again and push for surgery. In the long run it seems to be the only solution. I do hope you have some help and support whilst you are feeling so poorly.

• Posted

Thank you so much Stephanie, do you have a stoma bag now? And if so, does it help or do you still suffer?
    • Posted

No I didn't end up with a bag (but it's something that can't be guaranteed until they have a look inside). I was very lucky, my surgeon said my

Bowel was ready to perforate at any time and I had already had peritonitis twice by then. I still of course have diverticular disease but the very worst part has been take away. I sometimes have a bit of pain but it's nothing compared to before. I've had six abdo surgeries and I am 6 weeks post last one which was to repair incisional hernia. Much worse than the bowel resection! i was very apprehensive about surgery, and possibly having a bag, but so so glad I went ahead now. Things are about 80 per cent better and I lead a more or less normal life now. Obviously your choice but from one sufferer to another push for surgery! Can I ask how old you are? I was 48 when I had it done x

• Posted

Thank you for your help and patience Stephanie. I was 56 years old yesterday but normally reasonably healthy and active. Just have good and bad days with the Rheumatoid but nothing has ever made me as ill as i feel now and this has been my 3rd time in a year i have been admitted to hospital and put on drips. Dont know what the next stage is but at the moment i could quite easily say give me the op. Just dont know how long it usually takes for attacks like this to settle. Thanks very much for your advice. Its so reassuring to hear you are not alone in your suffering and other people understand. Xx
  • Posted

Good luck

This is a very useful forum.

think fluid for a few more days then liquidise everything .

• Posted

The first thing is to get rid of the inflamation, all of it, so stay in bed, keep warm, drink loads  watch T.V . read ,don't bother about eating anything ,I went 8 days

without food,   i know you feel as though the pain will never go, but it will.

then they will decide  what is best for you. There are hundreds of 

us ,so come on the forums and talk, it will help 

• Posted

Oh Thank you so very much Jaqueline! I am not usually a depressed kind of person but today has just got to me and i was desperate to contact other sufferers for help and advice. Defo not going to be eating anything, only drinking water, and if it takes 8 days then i will be happy theres light at the end of the tunnel. Thank you so much!! Xx
    • Posted

Ask someone to get you bottled flavoured STILL water ,much nicer

than tap water 

Aldi sell four packs. peach is very nice, I drink it all the time now .I 

buy a trolley load at a time,  

Lie on your back ,raised up enough so you can watch the tele.

• Posted

Thank you very much Jaqueline, will defo try aldi flavoured water. Its aldi still water i'm on just now. Lol! Just heading back to bed now as I have been up for an hour and still very sore. This lying in bed caper doesnt agree with me but have to admit i really do need it all the time just now. Thank you so very much for all your help and advice! So glad I found this Forum!!!
    • Posted

. staying in bed is NOT a caper, it's necessary to keep your

guts quiet and relaxed. Be patient ,it won't heal overnight

Sleep tight   J .x  

• Posted

Keep in mind too that the strong antibiotics can cause or worsen diarrhoea. Flagyl can make you feel ill generally. You should also think about starting a probiotic to repopulate your gut with good bacteria. Aloe vera juice can also help with inflammation. As Jacqeline says rest is very important as the liquid diet does not give much energy for daily tasks. I found after being on a drip for several days in the hospital that the first meals they gave me caused pain.
    • Posted

Thanks Madge, i am drinking small actimel in the morning and if i feel like it, taking the odd probiotic yogurt through the day. But thats the maximum I am able to eat right now, so hopefully its just inflamation that needs to settle. But thanks again for your input. Appreciated. X
    • Posted

It would be better to take the probiotic capsules as well. There is a lot of controversy about how much of tye good bacteria actually get through the digestive system to the colon where they are needed. Some studies have shown some sucess for Actimel but not for ordinary probiotic yoghurt.
    • Posted

Madge is right, the probiotic capsules ,cause nothing but good bacteria

to go bad bacteria bashing, and win. Plus you don't have to keep visiting 

the supermarket to stock up, there is a 100 tabs in a jar 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.