Ovarian cyst

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello, I'm 31 and have had a severe bloated stomach for about 2 months now and a sort of cramp feeling mainly at the top half of my stomach underneath my breasts. the top half of my stomach that is so bloated and hard as a rock. Went to my GP told me it was IBS and to try taking buscupan for 2 weeks. Took for a week and nothing. Was changing so went back to my GP and was referred to the nurse. She checked my stomach took blood and urine samples. Bloods came back fine. Took pregnancy test which was negative and has my period as normal. Then was referred for an ultrasound and all they said was there was a lot of fluid in my stomach. So was then referred back to my GP and was told that they had a consultant have another look at my ultrasound images and said was a 13cm cyst and as I was in alittle bit of pain was prescribed some codeine. So had more bloods taken for the CA125 which came back all normal but my GP still referred my to the hospital. So I met with the gynaecology team this week and they are booking me in for a ct scan within the next 3 weeks. When I asked the consultant about the cyst he said he wasn't sure as the ultrasound was very vague. Then on Friday I woke up and had severe pain on the right side on my stomach, called the docs and was told I might jus be having some a flar up and to continue taking the codeine. This was in the afternoon and by late afternoon I couldn't take the pain anymore it was like a tight cramping that came in waves on the right side on the upper stomach and was sent home from work. Went back in for a emergency app with my GP who felt my stomach and said he will prescribe me some stronger painkillers (tramadol) and if the pain had not decreased by 10pm that eve to go to a+e. The pain isnt as bad and my tummy still feels sore so I'm jus waiting on the ct scan

Apologies for the essay just wanted to know if anyone has had the same thing, as people I know who have had ovarian cysts have had lower abdomen pains and not the pains so high up!!

3 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Rosie07535,

I was 31 when i started having the same type of pain it was high up and lower. I too went to a gi first bc I was throwing up all the time that was in Jan of this year in feb after i turned 32 they did an ultrasound at the hospital which they said it was some type of mass on my ovary. By the time I had a ct scan in march it was determined to be a 22cm dermoid cyst on one ovary and a 6 cm dermoid cyst on the other. Because of the size they had to do a zipper type cut from above my bellybutton to my hairline to remove. I just got married in 2014 and no children but bc of the size and condition surrounding my ovaries they had to remove. Please keep us updated, praying for you

• Posted

Morning sw40138,

Thank you for sharing your experience. It does sound similar to what I'm going through I can't sit for too long now as it starts to hurt and only really find comfort in laying on my side with a pillow support my tummy. And at the top part of the tummy is feel numb and sometimes I get a burning sensation on the right side at the top! I too do not have any children and have nerve fallen pregnant not that I am actively trying but I always thought there might be an issue and this could be why!

I will definitely keep you updated. Thanks again Rosie x

• Posted

Morning ladies ☺️

I'm 25, I was suffering from really bad stomach cramps and a bad lower back shooting pain which I then thought was just kidney pains because before I suffered a lot with kidney infections! I was rocking back and forth like a possessed woman! My mum said it looked like I was in labour the way I was and the state of my screaming 😔. I got rushed to A&E the first time about 5am had has an air which was AMAZING totally took the pain away and let me sleep ( I cannot remember the ambulance journey) the A&E people just took bloods sent me for a ct scan and just fobbed me off with strong pain relief and antibiotics apparently had a severe kidney and bladder infection. Anyways 5 hours later I had another ambulance come out to me and was rushed back in because I couldn't take the pain anymore! I was given morphine to take the pain away! Then with me being so high on drugs they said I had a 11x10x10 cm dermoid cyst on my right ovary and it was causing some torsion (twisting and strangling my ovary) hence the pain! I was then operated on 2 weeks later and had to have my ovary and tube removed because it was purple and totally round the wrong way thanks to that cyst!

My advice would be if your still having pain keep pushing Rosie because you know your body better than anyone!

Sorry for the long essay! This was back in March and I'm still trying to come to terms that my fertility has dropped 50% already without me even having the chance of having a family yet...! Don't get to the point where I am and have depression and anxiety problems!

I will keep my fingers crossed for you and wish you the best of luck! Keep us updated!!!

Love Stacey ☺️ Xxxx

• Posted

Morning Stacey171289,

Thank you for sharing you experience and I'm so sorry for the ordeal you have had to go through. I definitely do keep pushing back with the doctors/hospital and at the beginning they jus tried to fob me off with ibs when I know friends with ibs and they don't suffer like this.

To be fair the GP and hospital have been fairly quick in getting my blood results back and booking me in for my appointments jus doesn't seem to be getting any further at the minute so hoping my ct scan will show something.

I will keep you updated and thank you agaih for you best wishes. I too hope everything works out for you

Rosie xx

• Posted

Me too smile hope it all gets sorted and the ct scan will resolve the pain! The ct scan will literally show up everything and you may even need an internal scan aswell that's how they confirmed mine ! Forgot to say my op was done through keyhole of 3 incisions xxxx I know get some nigley little pains which is weird because they are on the side where my ovary no longer exists lol! Just phantom pains smile xxx

Can't wait to hear some better news for you 😘 Xxxx

• Posted

Was the recovery long after the keyhole what also is adding to the stress of all of this is I only started a new job a week ago and already having time is worrying me about that also.

That's strange that you still have pains there, but have heard of that before.

Thanks again😊😊 xxx

• Posted

I was in hospital for 2 days after my surgery because they thought my belly was infected because of a weird rash I had so I had a nice looking map drawn on me haha if act all it was, was bruising where they blew me up in surgery! 😆

Recovery was 2 weeks off work doing absolutely nothing and then I went back earlier than I should but that was for money reasons ! I still had my belly button stitches in so wasn't allowed to do any heavy lifting ! But after they came out about 2 weeks later I was back to normal with odd pains when I had overdone it but other than that I was ok smile

With work just explain your circumstances because it's not like you've asked for this xxxx I'm sure they will understand xxxxx

• Posted

Oh that's not too long then!

Yeah work have been pretty understandable at the minute and I have explained exactly what's happening just adds to my worries.

Thank you xxx

• Posted

Stacey,

Sounds like you're young and one ovary missing doesn't always mean fertility problems.

Keep regular visits with your gynecologist. Keep tabs to make sure you don't have cysts on the other side. Your other remaining ovary may take over for the missing one and produce an egg every month instead of every other month.

You know what to watch for so stay on top of it.

Best wishes and prayers for your continued good health!!

• Posted

Hi rosie not to scare you but please of you can find it on face book wombles small cell ovarian cancer fight and awarenessmy long story is on there I really hope it's nothing bad for you but please don't give up .. They thought mine was a dermoid cyst but turned out to be a rare ovarian cancer I now have another cyst and due to have my remaining ovary out x
    • Posted

Morning Amy,

Thank you just had a look at your page and liked it.

I promise I won't and the same to you, please keep positive 😊😊😊 xxxx

• Posted

Thankyou sorry it was easier than explain all over on herealthough I will say this site has really helped t tell people were not crazy and it's not normal to be in this much pain xx
    • Posted

That's ok! Yeah I thought this seemed a good way to hear other people's experiences and advice.

Xx

• Posted

Hey everyone hope you all had a good Christmas!!

So just as an update:

So I had my CT scan on 23rd Dec, and chased the hospital today for the results which I couldn't get hold of the consultant so I called the GP and he said that they have found a large mass which is coming from the ovaries, the mass is 36cm 😮 Which has shocked me to be honest and the GP has said that there could be a couple is cysts within be mass. So I'm just waiting on the next steps. My consultant have their MDT meetings every tues so hopefully might hear something next week. My GP has signed me off work for another 3 weeks, and prescribed me some more tramadol for the pain. the pain comes and goes but it is still uncomfortable most of the time.

So I wish I knew what was going to happen next, but guess I am alittle closer to knowing what is happening but worrying about being off work still as I only started my new job at the beginning of Dec so this is such bad timing!!

Hope everyone has a good new year xxx

• Posted

Hi rosie I shocked they have not got you in straight away to remove it .. I'm so sorry you having to go through this ..I had my second ovary and tubes out today so feeling rough .. but hope you get clear answer's soon xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.