Advice please

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello. My husband is coming off Tramadol and he has being a nightmare I just don't know how to help him. The house feels so depressing I don't even want to stay in it. He is so bad tempered nothing I do is right. He was on 300ml for seven years he is now down to 50ml but he has done this over about two months, now he wants to come off compleatly cold turkey. I'm so frighten about his moods. I just feel like crying all the time. Would like to hear from anyone else that is living with someone coming off Tramadol.

Maddie.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

It's horroble stuff to come off - I was only on it for just over a week after a hip replacement, and a low dose at that - but it was absolutely terrible - I can really sympathise.

I just put up with it, and let my wife know that whatever happened, it was me and the Tramadol, not her !

Graham

• Posted

Your husband has done really well to come this far. However, I would guard against him quitting cold turkey as the last 50mg is the hardest to come off. He should ideally wait until he is stable on the 50mg before cutting down further. By stable, I mean free of withdrawal symptoms such as pain and fatigue (I'm presuming he is taking alternative pain medication, or is now free of the condition for which he was prescribed the tramadol). When I was down to my final 50mg and stable, I opened up the capsules and poured some of the powder out before resealing the capsule. I then stabilised on this amount before reducing further. In the end I was taking half a capsule every other day then every 3 days and then came off. It took more timme to do it that way, but it was much easier on my body. Tramadol is an anti-depressant as well as a pain killer, which makes it harder than opiates to withdraw from. A word of warning; I was left with severe rebound depression and was put on anti depressants for four years after withdrawing from tramadol.
  • Posted

Hi maddie. First things first, non of this is you or your husbands fault. Many before you have become trapped on this very addictive and nasty drug  I stopped cold turkey Elleven days ago after taking 8   50  mg tablets for shoulder pain for about 18 months. it sounds to me like he is doing the right thing stopping slowly. Because my experience with cold turkey was brutal.   No sleep for 9 days terrible restless legs were the worst. I'm not trying to frighten you but for some that's the reality.  Cold turkey is not for everyone. Although I now feel a lot better now it was hard. Knowing what I know  now I would seek medical advice and form a plan with your GP. Don't be ashamed  about going to see your doctor  about this problem because most of the time they are not blameless in all this. They dish them out like sweets and bang your hooked. It also helps to talk,family good friends this forum was priceless to me. ( always someone out there willing to help). Remember a lot have already gone through it and come out the other side all the better for doing it .trust me it can be done.at times the light at the end of the tunnel feels like the train coming the other way. But day by day it will get easier. You BOTH must be strong and don't give up if you have the odd setback ,get back up, dust your selves off and go again you will get there l promise. I hope some of what I've put does not put the fear of God in you  but I have to honest about certain things that happen during withdrawl from a powerful drug.  Hope this is helpful. And remember don't give up at any cost.     Steve.
  • Posted

Thanks for your help. He is now sleeping a lot in the day and getting up late in the morning, he seems to be sleeping all the time really. I think Christmas is off this year. He is having a lot of pain in his body. Do you think it's okay for him to take another pain killer over the counter ones?

• Posted

Is the pain in his body due to a medical condition, or is it pain from withdrawl from Tramadol..what you don't want to do is get another dependaency from another drug.. Or take something on top of Tramadol.if he still on it.
    • Posted

Yes, he can take another pain killer alongside tramadol. Paracetamol for example.
  • Posted

I was on Tramadol for 8 Months, I weened off it slowly cutting dosage 1/2 every week.

The funny thing about Tramadol is that it helps you lose weight and it is an anti depressant. I occaionally take it to drop some weight, 2 50mg tablets a day.

you CAN NOT Cold Turkey this stuff and 300mg is alot to comre down off of, he needs to do 200, 150, 100, 50, 25 in 1 week intervals

• Posted

Anthony, I need to know from you how you can go back on and not have issues. I too lost a well needed 20 pounds. I looked great, I felt great and I bought new beautiful clothes for my new body. My husband loved my new appearance and my uplifting attitude, despite recovering from a nasty shoulder surgery. I miss that feeling and appearance. I've been off Tramadol cold turkey two and a half months and began feeling good, but have gained a total of 7 pounds in the last 3 weeks. I'd love to know I could take it for it's weight loss and antidepressant properties, but not over use it like I did before. I was told it was a safe medication, non-addicting and never aware of it's antidepressants qualities. I'm was on 225 mg daily. Can I go back to only two 50mg DOSES per day and be okay? Your input would be appreciated.
    • Posted

Everyone is different, however, I don't use it more than 4 days in a row then break for 3, I take 2 in the  morning right after breakfast and that is it to stop munching during the dayand gives me a burst of energy. If you take 50 in the morning and 50 in the afternoon, it dont give me the energy burst but is a mood enhancer

​I started eating Quinoa because it contains large amounts of flavonoids, including Quercetin and Kaempferol. These are potent plant antioxidants with numerous health benefits.important molecules have been shown to have anti-inflammatory, anti-viral, anti-cancer and anti-depressant effects.

Hope this helps

• Posted

Lillie, He needs to know himself that it's the medicine messing with his brain and that you have done nothing wrong. If he continues to be abusive, ask him to check into a facility to aid in his withdrawal. You can only support someone so much, but they need to address their issues and try to get a grip on what's happening. I'm not a professional, but a fellow Tramadol user and I can say from experience that it is not easy but I am so happy now. I love my life and all without Tramadol. But from all the people I've connected with who have gone through withdrawals, I've never known any to experience ANGER. So maybe he has something else he is trying to come off of beside the Tramadol. Find help for yourself too ASAP. Please keep me posted on your actions and progress. I am very concerned for you.
  • Posted

Dear Lolly,

Few people will ever understand the horror of what your husband is doing....No matter what he says to you , you should still feel good because he is dedicated to getting off of this ...Even doctors don't know or understand the withdrawal effects of tramadol. Let the verbal abuse go in one ear and out the other..... it's a small price to pay for the results. .... I am gonna get in trouble to say this but kicking Tramadol is equally painful and maybe a little more in some ways....Just like child birth it's painful, sometimes have post mortem depression, introspection, anger, etc... What your husband is doing is very similar....  Just be there for him... you don't even have to say anything just be there and let everthing go...the results will so wortit  for you.....Now if he is hitting you don't stay...go to your mom's house and after he is through the tough stuff you need to voice your concerns about physical abuse...verbal is natural and not meant, Hitting is not normal and is a separate behavior all together. I sure wish you luck and if in the future you have children you will have the chance to pay him back.....lol ..you can do it!

Emis Moderator comment: I have edited this post due to the swearing. These are open forums so as per the T&Cs please do not use offensive language in posts otherwise they may be deleted.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.