Amitriptyline 10mg...bad side effects!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was perscribed Amitriptyline 10mg at night about a month ago to stop my migraines and my side effects are so bad I have to stop taking it! I feel dizzy, tired all the time and I started getting weakness in my right arm and leg and just couldn't function! I spoke to my doctor before I stopped but I actuially have another pointment today as I feel terrible! Has anyone else stopped 10mg of Amitriptyline and if so how long before you started to feel "normal" again?

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Edited

I have taken 25 mg at bedtime now for over 20 years...i was put on too strong a dose at fist i was like a zombie all day...then i settled to 25 over the months..i decided i could probaby do without it a few years ago..i weaned myself down to 25..but it did nothing for me i was i soooo much pain and couldnt sleep....i did this all under the drs supervision, he said to go back on the 25mg because he knew this would happen i guess he just wanted to appease me..he said that 25mg was the dose that worked for me...we are all soooo different, some people on the Fibromyalgia blog take 75 and a 100mg..now if this was me id be askeep all day e eryday, it does take a few months to settle in though..i have never ever had mine increased either..i take it for Fibromyalgia and Sorgrens Syndrome..hope it helps...yes there are a few side effects coming of the higher dose..but 10 mg might be high for you..its well worth googling to find out what it is and all about I diid... be blessed nicskev, have a lovely day wherever yoh live..😍😍😍
    • Posted

How well do you function on this?

I didnt...now I'm just trying not to go crazy from not taking it!

• Edited

I function perfectly..it does take a while to get your individual dosage right..When I first started taking this med I just slept for days..I was always sooooo tired, however I perceivered for a few months and apart from having a too heavy dose for me 50mg..which I dropped each week..and yes there is side effects coming off it or down..it's like any drug I suppose..Happily I've been on 25mg now for years and it works well....it's the amount that suits my needs..many on here have stronger doses..but it is an old low grade antidepressant drug that they found helps stop the pain from. Travelling throughout you body and numbing the nerve ends...that's what really helps me...but you do get over the zombie like stage....be blessed Maureen have a lovely day..😘😘👍

• Posted

Hi Id gone up from 10mg to 20mg of antri for about amonth didnt help me at all. It took me about 2weeks with the side effects to get it back out has it says what goes in must come out the same way. Hope you got off it ok.  Im on 10mg now trying to reduce it side effects for me have been orfull x Please let me know how you got on x

• Posted

Hi everyone! Thanks for your replies. I stopped taking amitrip about a week ago now and still waiting for it to fully leave my system! Hopefully it won't be much longer now. Most symptoms have gone but still feeling sick and tired most of the time. Just hoping my migraines don't stop again either. It's just a case of wait and see!
  • Posted

Hi, Hope you feeling better?. Iwas on 10 mg antripiline for a year  and up it about 6 weeks ago  another 10. Like you had terrible side effects and went back to doctors and came off it it took me 2 weeks to get it back out, Hasi read what goes in has to come out the same way.
    • Posted

I would never go back on it again and I can't believe how much just 10mg effected me! I'm hoping I'll be back to normal and all out of my system by Christmas day!
  • Posted

Did you ever get off of this and what did it take to get away from it if you did?

I ask because I was on it 3 months and weaned off slowly but now 3 months later I'm in very high anxiety!

I'm wondering if it takes that long to get away from it !

I had issues with it too!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.