Acupucture for tennis elbow?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there--

My dad had tennis elbow years ago and he had acupuncture and he said it cured it.  I was wondering if any of you guys who have had tennis elbow have tried acupuncture.  If so, did it help?  If it helped, how long did it take?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I've suffered now with tennis elbow for 2 1/2 years, I tried everything like acupuncture, steroid injections and Physio nothing worked! Acupuncture in my opinion did nothing but that's just me!

I am currently recovering from having elbow surgery it's week 7 and I'm still in pain, not sure if it's work time will tell

• Posted

Hi Tony1414

Your story sounds exactly like mine!!.  Had it all - including laser therapy and ultrasound too and the only thing that helped with the pain (temporarily) was the steroid injection.  I am now booked in for surgery in 3 weeks and not looking forward to afterwards - 7 weeks!??!!  I am self employed consultant and cant afford to take that amount of time off! How bad is the pain and what activities are you able to do.  Can you drive yet - I was told 2 weeks off and no lifting for 6 weeks.

• Posted

Hi loueezeA

I had a nerve block for the operation which wasn't uncomfortable but ok, it kept my arm pain free for about 10hours. After that not going to lie I was in agony, they gave me Co-Codamol which was rubbish, get some strong pain relief I was on tremadol which eased it!

A few days later the pain was tolerable.

I'm now coming up to 10 weeks and still in pain when bending arm went to hospital for check up with consultant a few days ago and he seemed quite positive? He said the pain could last up to 6-12 month but told to use arm as much as possible!

My job involves realy heavy lifting so haven't returned yet, going back just over a weeks time.

I could drive 3 weeks after op and most other things by 2

This is just my story I've heard others say it isn't that bad and made a full recovery, I hope all goes well for you good luck!

• Posted

Thanks for your speedy response!  Never used these sort of forums before but wanted to find out as much as possible about what I was letting myself in for!!

Did you have key hole or open surgery?  I assumed it would be under general anasthetic?  I am having laparoscopy to see what exactly is going on in there as my pain isn't typical tennis elbow apparently.

Knowing what you know now would you have the surgery again? I am having doubts about the surgery to be honest (even before hearing your story!) and wonder whether to put up with the pain I live with daily and cope with and hope it eventually goes away on its own, or go through more extreme pain for another 6-12 months but be able to get back to a normal life and back to playing the sports I enjoy (badminton and swimming)!?

Decisions decisions!!

Good luck to you too and hope your return to work is pain free!

• Posted

I had open surgery which might be worse than keyhole with a nerve block that goes into your armpit. Maybe that's why the pain was bad after it also depends on what they find when in there, if they need to do bone work!

Would I have it done again if this doesn't work I don't know? I was I constant pain before the op so it was worth trying!

If it's getting in the way of your normal life then I say go for it!

I wasted 2 1/2 years putting up with it couldn't even throw stones into the sea with my son or pick him up always telling him to watch my elbow!

2-3 weeks of it been uncomfortable after op, if it works then happy days

Good luck

• Posted

I'm actually writing this on behalf of my boyfriend who has tennis elbow, btw.  He got an MRI and a doctor said he has a small tear in the tendon, but it's not such a bad tear that they would consider operating.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.