Over active Thyroid

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi.  Try and make a long story short, 5 years ago I had 0AT and was treated with tablets, it settled down and consultant took me off medication, I was also put on AD for anxiety, fast forward to September this year, got Neurlgia & a lot of messing with tablets which after months I had to stop, got a run of kidney infections and my anxiety came back with a bang.  Reading the leaflet I took it that the anxiety was caused by one of the many antibiotics I had taken, the dose of AD was upped but after 5 weeks I'm no better, I am eating but weight keeps falling, very red palms on both hands, jittery, can't sit or stay in the one place for long, is it possible with all the messing with medication and illness that my thyroid has gone overactive again?  I can't see a GP for a few days because of the holidays & consultant visit can take up to a month!  What do you think?  Thank u in advance.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello 

Sorry you are having these symptoms over Christmas.  Being hyperthyroid with Graves myself, your symptoms suggest to me that yes you are definately hyperthyroid at the moment.  You need to get to see your GP atleast ASAP but in the meantime make sure you are avoiding stress and anything that could stimulate your heart - caffine, alcohol and exercise.  I am pretty sure they will want to put you back on some medication.  Wishing you all the best. Claire

• Posted

Thanks Claire, it was only yesterday my hubby and I were chatting and he said I'm exactly like I was the time my thyroid was overactive.  Sod's law GPs closed until Tuesday,  trying to avoid stress at Xmas is not easy as I feel so guilty spoiling the family Xmas,  but I will take it easy until I get to see my GP, I'm so tired anyway I don't need to be told twice to rest, may sound stupid but I would be glad if it's the thyroid as I  didn't/don't know what's the matter with me, i didn't think about it until yesterday when he said it.  Thanks for taking the time to reply, now I only need to be able to sit in waiting room and not take flight!!  Take care Jean.
    • Posted

Hi Jean you are most welcome.  The red palms are a giveaway along with the other symptoms, put your feet up and when you call your GP tell them you have had problems in the past and are showing signs of Toxicthyroid they will prob want to see you straight away and put you back on Carbimazole or the like.  Dont panic too much I waited over a week two weeks to see someone and was fine.

• Posted

Claire I was just reading your messages again and I just thought I never said, I hope you are doing OK?  Here's to all of us having a health 2016. J.
    • Posted

Hi Claire, just back from Dr., it was the locum and she gave me a good going over!  She took a load of bloods which I left to lab in Hospital, she also rang the acute medic in the hospital to see what the best plan of action would be and between them they have put me on 30mg of thyroid tablet daily for a week until results of bloods come back to confirm overactive thyroid, but she did say to the medic on the phone that she thinks it's Acute Thyroid Malfunction,  so hopefully I get to see consultant in the near future and see from there.  So thank you for your support when I badly needed it, it helped more than you will ever know.  J.
  • Posted

Hello - that is great news!  I am so glad that you managed to get it sorted out quickly and 30 mg will soon have you feeling better, my iniitial load was 40mg a day and I was feeling much better within one week.  Anyway, please stay in touch and let me know how you get on when you see the consultant x
    • Posted

Hi Claire, here's a question for a Monday morning?!  The last two days I'm  full of wind, it feels like I've trapped wind in my chest, I burp, it goes but then it's back again, just wondering if u or anyone else reading this has this happen? can neomercazol do this?  Told you it was some question for a Monday or any morning!  😉  J. 
  • Posted

Hi Jean, Sorry I didnt get back earlier I had to go to the hospital for a heart scan but it was all good news - Carbimazole has brought my resting heart rate back down to normal so I am really pleased.  Re the funny question lol!  Yes, I had the same problem when I first started on the medication for a couple of weeks  but it subsided after a while, absolutely nothign to worry about but quite embarrassing sometimes though!  Hope it clears up soon x
    • Posted

Well done Claire, that was a good mornings work.  And then my question 😳 to welcome u home!! I had hoped Dr. might have called me today with results, she may do yet and I was going to ask her, bet not too many asked about that in her surgery today!!  I'm so pleased for you and your result, it's nice to hear a bit of good news.  Take care and no jogging about now with that healthy heart of yours 😊 J.
  • Posted

Ah, thanks Jean.  I feel much happier tonight than I did yesterday for sure!  Fingers crossed you get your results back soon and can get back on the road to recovery, lets hope 2016 is a lucky, happy and healthly one for us x
    • Posted

Hi Claire, just rang Endo and all my bloods are showing normal?!  I was bad before I rang now I don't know what's going on as you know I have every symptom of OAT, I've GP at 12.30pm and I don't know what to expect... What comes into my head is treat the symptoms not lab results? But what would I know?!  Worried now.
    • Posted

Me again!  Well went to GP, she still says I'm overactive, the only smile I had was when she said "I think we should treat the symptoms not the numbers" I was wondering if she reads this forum!  Anyway she did more bloods and now I'm in no mans land and its wrecking my head.  Got letter this morning with blood results as follows "free T4 of 17.1 and TSH of 1.44, kidneys normal, iron normal, B12 and folate normal but cholestral is high and needs work, I would therefore stay off carbimazole". But GP has told me keep taking it....  GP is also trying to get me an appointment with Endo that she feels if she saw me she would have a rethink.  Ah I don't know but I'm worried.  J.
    • Posted

What am I like I think I sent my message to you, to myself?!  Sums up today, u might see it up or indeed if anyone else can give me any thoughts that would be great.  J.
    • Posted

Hiya Jean, sorry I didnt see this earler.  You need to find out what your T3 is aswell because this will often show low if you are not converting, and high if you have blocked receptor cells. Even if you are converting, the body needs the extra T3 that a normal thyroid produces. TSH looks fine and everything else too so I wouldnt worry too much at the moment. I think I would ask for a liver check though if not aready done. How are your symptoms now, what is the redness on your palms like - is it all over or just the outer edges.  

• Posted

OK, I have in this letter "liver normal, iron normal, B12 and Folate normal.  Blood count is normal at 14.4 and sugar level is normal with a HbA1 of 5.7 per cent". Have to say Claire I'm really worried now, I just wish they could agree on what it is, I'm here blowing the head off myself wondering what is going on.  With regards to the red palms I would describe as around the edges not in the middle of my hand, if this makes sense?  J. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.