My best friend just had a stroke this morning and I want to bring her a book, is that okay?

Posted , 5 users are following.

My best friend had what I think is called an Ischaemic Stroke this morning and when she's taken out of the ICU we're going to go visit her and she had asked her mother to ask me if I could bring her my favorite book to read. I wondered if it was okay to have her reading since you have to use your brain to read and a stroke is from cutting off bloodflow to the brain which seems like less of a good idea. But I'm no medical professional and I can't find anything online about it.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

A stroke effects many people in different ways, and there are different types of stroke. For example, my stroke was not a clot, but a burst, known as a cerebral haemorrhage or haemorrhagic stroke.

They will certainly feel a bit disorientated, depending on the severity of the stroke, although TIA tend to be on the minor side.

It's very boring lying in a bed in hospital, and you need things to occupy your mind, so if she wants a book, let her have it.

She will probably be very tired and want to sleep a lot, but when she is awake, something like a book to occupy her mind is good for her. The alternative is that she will lie there thinking about what has happened to her, whether it will happen to her again and what her future will be like.

Trust me, I've been there.

• Posted

I was so sorry to hear about your friend having a stroke. I had my stroke in 2013, my stroke was a operative stroke that occur doing a procedure. For your friend reading can be very therapeutical however it all depends on where and what type of stroke had occurred. Vision challenges may be difficult sometimes and frustrating for stroke patients as I experienced
  • Posted

Hi there it really does depend on what sort of stroke she has had. I had an occipital stroke so the only thing really affected was my vision so obviously early doors found it really difficult to read but if she is asking for a book she can obviously see ok so take her one lol really hope she picks up soon and alls ok xxxx
  • Posted

My stroke was in the visual cortex and although I found reading hard to start with I decided to force my self to find away to read etc I used my iPad and played a lot of games (not very well I might add) in my perifferal vision, my brain has rewired so much now I'm left with a very small patch where I can't see properly now (I had my stroke on 2nd July 2015). If your friend wants you to take a book take a book , that's what friends do and if she wants you to read it to her, pick it up and read it to her ;-) it is a very stressful time for her. 
  • Posted

I had an iscemic stroke 4 years ago. Lost my speech for a week. But it came back. Just remember this about your friend "Stroke is an inability to communicate and not intellegence" ..Your friend may be in complete surprise about her condition. It can be like a car accident, but there is no car. Be patient, and realize that your friend needs time to figure it all out. Just be there with your friend. Do not ask lots of yes / no questions till he/she is ready. Be very patient, and your just being there smiling and confident will be better than any doctor will do. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.