Pain occurring after stroke

Posted , 5 users are following.

After my stroke the pain has been horrible I've tried many different narcotics with you just made me tired. Does anyone have any idea how I can help myself with this unbearable pain that's affected my whole left side. Thank you and I'm grateful for any suggestions.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

People will help you Steven on here.

I had an SAH which is a stroke in 2009 and they said I wouldn't walk but now I can do more for myself and walking a little way but then back starts to hurt.  You will get there eventually.  Keep believing in yourself and never quit.  Sing ad try a smile all this sounds daft but get therapy for yourself as I was given up on.   Do not ever quit xx Good luck

• Posted

Thank you for your encouraging words. It's quite a battle always having good support around is amazing
  • Posted

I take it, from your use of the word narcotics, that you are probably North American based.

In the UK you would be recommended for physio to help with your physical difficulties, but I don't know how it works over there.

Tiredness is common in stroke victimes, especially as the body adjusts to the chemical imbalance of the many medications.

• Posted

Hi Steven. I suffered a stroke 7 months ago and to begin with I had little pain. The last two months however I have started to get quite severe pain in my left leg. I'm told this is normal. Outside of pain killers I've just started to make & take natural remedies such as those that include turmeric. I'm also having acupuncture & have started yoga. If you are on Facebook have a look at the 'Different Strokes' Group. All the best. Jeff
  • Posted

To All,

Behind The Gray is another good site,  if you have had a stroke or TIA's ..the people on there are very helpful and it helped my Daughter while she was waiting for me to come out of cuckooland as I call it.  I had an SAH followed by ventriculitis, UTI and Sepsis  (over the UTI)  and I talk or sing to people lol who have had similar situations and I do not feel alone as much.  lol xxxx take care all xxxx

• Posted

Hello

I'm not sure whether I can help but I have been reading people's various symptoms since they had a stroke but yours was the first I read which mentioned being tired. I had a full blown stroke three years ago. I was a very healthy female attending a gym at least three times a week. I rowed and did weight training, Pilates and went swimming. I am not over weight  I was paralysed down my left side but I was totally unaware of that when I awoke the day after and got out of my bed in the hospital and had a shower. I do have a weakness on my left side. My big problem is exhaustion, I want to stay in bed all day I have no energy I have tried lots of things. The best was having physio in the swimming pool which I paid for privately. The water supports your weight and I was able to do various excersises in the water which gave me physical relief. Swimming was difficult as my right side is so much stronger than my right I tend to go around in circles. Funny to observe but frustrating as the swimmer. Swimming may help you. When I was receiving my physio I asked if we could use the children's pool and was given permission which was great as it was one depth all over and much warmer. There were not many children around using it just a few toddlers with their mums. My extreme fatigue is still a huge problem it really effects my life as I cannot go out to meet friends as walking is difficult due to being so tired plus I'm late wherever I go. I can't do any house work or gardening all that were no problem until l had the stroke. If anyone has this symptom Or can perhaps give me some advice I would be so delighted. I was told recently that taking B complex vitamins could possibly help me but I'm not sure if I can take them as l take warfarin daily and statins. I hope the swimming helps you with the pain. Helen good luck

• Posted

It is common to feel tired after a stroke. I had a double whammy of liver failure and acute cerebellar haemorrhage with a 6mm midline shift.

I lost the use of my legs for the two months I was in hospital plus some of the use of my right arm, which got worse after leaving hospital until I had nine months of physio on it.

I never got told anything when I left hospital, just given my medicine and a discharge, my wife who was pciking me up, asked if there was anything we needed to know and was told, no, here is your medicine and bye.

I was tired when I left, I wanted afternoon naps, could barely make it past 9:00pm and standing up for long periods was out, although it wasn't so bad if I was walking and moving. The medication used to tire me and make me feel grumpy. So I now take it just before I go to bed.

I take vitamin b compound strong, my GP wanted to put me on statins until I said no and got my cholestorol down to 4.2 and to give me aspirin, which is a bit strange, since I had a bleed on the brain stroke, not a clot.

We are all different, I still ache when I get up, and my joints sometimes creek a bit, even though I'm only 50. But I have stopped feeling tired. I can only suggest, keep up the exercise, eat well - this is more important than people think and try the vitamin b complex/compound - I believe they are for your nervous system, but check with your GP, because they probably have different uses for different peple.

stroke.org is quite helpful and for some 'non' qualified people on the phone, they certainly know a lot.

• Posted

Hello many thanks for your reply I feel quite ashamed when I hear what you have been through but your reply is so interesting and useful. I too was left with no advice in fact my daughter in law telephoned my doctor and complained that I had been given no help or advice and live alone. He was very angry and very rude to her. Fortunately he retired which gave me the opportunity to change my doctor I now have a very helpful and supportive GP. I am now sitting in her waiting room to ask her advice on taking the vitamin B complex. I think Pilates and yoga are very good as they strengthen muscles and flexibility. The Physio in the swimming pool was very good as I was given exercises in the water which did help to build up my muscles with no side effects. A friend of mine did go to see a dietician again privately which she found very helpful. I wish you all the best in managing your pain. Regards Helen
    • Posted

Don't feel ashamed, I only mention it, because if you don't. people will always wonder what was wrong with you/why you feel qualified to give them an answer. If they see you have been through something, they will think, ah yes, he's probably got an idea what he is talking about.

Thiamine B is useful for fatigue. The B compound strong/complex does contain it, but in very low values. How did you get on with your GP.

On a separate note, I am always astounded about how little traffic there is in this forum. I posted when I first came out of hopsital and never got a reply. It thought there would be loads of people and relatives wanting to talk about their experience and share advice, but no.

I am a member of six forums, I consider Alcohol, liver, hypertension and stroke the mains ones, with two smaller ones (for me). You won't get a day go by without about 50 posts in the alcohol forum, and if you made a post, it would definitely not get ignored. I think it is sad that vitually nobody posts here, there must be people needing help. Not for me, I've moved on and I think I will have my final two year check up meeting at the stroke rehab hospital in the summer, but for others.

• Posted

I'm sorry I may have sent you the reply I was typing and had not completed I had to answer the door and possibly sent it in error. Well to finish my doctor did recommend I double my dose of Sertraline even though I'm not depressed I get frustrated with constantly being exhausted and late for all of my appointments. Well that's all I have to report. I do find the forum interesting as I'm amazed how strokes cause such a variety of problems. Keep positive and good luck Regards.
    • Posted

Hello I don't know whether you received the first part of my reply as I was disrupted and my reply disappeared from the screen. My doctor did not think taking B complex was a good idea as it could interfere with the warfarin. I was disappointed as I was hoping I would be like Popeye when he eats spinach. Well I will continue to make enquires and see how that goes. Stay positive and good luck. Regards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.