Antibiotics Killed ALL the Bacteria in my intestines

Posted , 10 users are following.

Has anyone encountred this ? I was on Ciproflaxin for 10 days for Diverticular attack that I had on Thanksgiving I still had some pain as the 10 days was ending so my GI put me on Metronzidaole for 7 days - 3 days in I was sicker then with the Diverticulitis- My intestines were on fire and I loose stool in large amounts - I went back to the Dr he said the mecicine had wiped all the good and bad bacteria from my intestines and now we had to rebuild it - that was tuesday he told me to take Probiotics and 2 yogurts a day . Poops are now normal and my pain is starting to subside but it goes in spurts - I definitley feel like i am on the mend but hoping to feel better soon - i was owndering if anyone else had any expeince with this ?

0 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes Brenda i was the very same! Never had pain like it in my life!!! Had the runs for nearly 2 weeks and couldnt eat anything but a small yogurt. Now I am slowly introducing small amounts of solid food ( minus seeds and nuts and anything with skins and dont take oranges either)...but after reading these forums and getting good advice from other sufferers I now start my day with Probiotic drink And i bought Acidophilus pills from health shop and take one a day. I have found a great improvement from inflamation and things are at last starting to look up! So persevere and you will get there slowly but surely! Good luck! Xx
    • Posted

Thank so much for getting back to me Jane - I really was beginning to wonder if I was heading for a body bag and my Dr was crazy ! I stopped the second antibotic on Tuesday - No more diahrea and pain is more sporadic I think I ate to much today and it is worse today but still not as bad as earlier in the week - Dr examined my stomach thought the Diver bout was over but I can tell you this pain is much much worse - I wish I had skipped the antiboitics . I am glad you are feeling better - I am using probiotic and 2 Activia a day .  
    • Posted

It is possible you are having a delayed reaction to the Cipro. Cipro is a very powerful antibiotic that some people have bad and sometimes delayed reaction to. Have you any pain other than in your abdomen?
    • Posted

No abdomen cramping is gone I am just having burning on my sides and upper back its more intermittent now but not gone
    • Posted

That sounds more like a reaction to the Cipro. It can cause pins and needles and burning sensations. You should never take it again as once you have a bad reaction to it the next time it can be worse. It can also cause tendon pain and even ruptures especially of the Achilles tendon in the heel.
    • Posted

There are side effects such as tendon ruptures, however, there are side effects to most drugs. The tendon ruptures are few and far between. The benefits of of these antibiotics far out weigh the disadvantages. Ciprofloxacin is the first antibiotic usually prescribed for horrible diseases such as Anthrax. People would die long distressful deaths without such modern-day drugs. It only takes a couple days to replace the useful bacteria in your intestines.
    • Posted

Cipro and other fluoroquinolones are overprescribed for UTIs, sinusitis and bronchitis. Research has shown that they are actually little better than placebo for these ailments. They can have horrendous side effects some of which do not manifest themselves for weeks or even months after stopping the medication and ate not connected by the suffererer to the ingestion of the drug. As there is no way of telling which people will have an adverse reaction either to their first dose or after taking previous courses with no apparent ill effect it would be far better if they were indeed kept for serious diseases like anthrax (for which they were developed), rather than dished out by doctors who appear to be ignorant of the devastation they can cause for far more trivial complaints. But then the drugs companies would not be making any money out of them as very few people have anthrax and lots have sinusitis and UTIs. And what basis do you have for saying it only takes a couple of days to replace the good bacteria in the intestines?
    • Posted

Yes. Some people have had reactions to Cipro that start more than a fortnight after stopping it. If you have any adverse reaction to an antibiotic in the fluoroquinolone family either physical or mental then you have to avoid them in future as the next time it could be far worse. I know because this has happened to me and I ended up in hospital cardiac ward with atrial fibrillation. I had a reaction when I was given Cipro along with Flagyl by iv when I had my first attack of divi. The consultant withdrew the Cipro but sais nothing and it was only later after taking one pill of Cipro for a UTI the following year that I made the connection. I only took the one pill that time but ended up being rushed to hospital in an ambulance one week later.
    • Posted

Wow ! Now I am wondering if what I thought was Not getting better on the Cipro was actually getting worse on the Cipro I took the full 10 days and then did 4 days of Flagyl !!! Before I realized it was the medicine that was making me sicker in a whole nother way ! Good lord I must have done some damage to myslef 
    • Posted

The combo of Cipro and Flagyl is truly horrible. Flagyl gives very bad nausea and afurry tongue. Within 24 hours of being given this iv combo I had pain in my Achilles tendon and balance problems but I never associated it with the meds unlike tye nausea which I expected. Within just over 48 hours I had chest pain and severe pins and needles down my arms. I did complain to the nurse about this as I felt really ill and she rushed off to get my consultant who then rushed off to summon the cardiologist and fetch the ECG machine. They said all was ok but it was after this that I noticed that only the Flagyl bag was replaced on the drip stand. When I asked the nurse why thiw was she said I didn't need the other medicine. Nothing whatsoever was said about my chest pain and neuropathy (I later had it in my les as well):being a reaction to the Cipro. In fact after my reaction to the Cipro this year when I was discharged from the hospital (a different one) I phoned the gastro consultant to check that it was indeed Cipro that I had been given and she lied to me and said I had only had Flagyl and when I asked her what was in the other bag, ( the drug that began with Ci- at the time I did not retainthe full name clearly) she said it was a painkiller. I know she was lying as both my GP and my new gastroenterologist have said thet the Cipro/ Flagyl combo is bog standard treatment for divvi here ( I live inFrance). Also when I requested my dossier from the admin she had falsified my treatment sheet saying that I had had a combo of Augmentin and Flagyl. I have tendon pain in many areas, blurry vision and other issues which I know from delving into this can all be caused by fluoroquinolone toxicity. If you have to have antibiotics again make sure it is not just Cipro you avoid but any in the same family. It even says this on the insert.
    • Posted

Wow that's terrible - my husband just said. Maybe that's why your elbow has been hurting for no reason I hadn't even thought of it 

• Posted

It could be tendon pain. I have it in both elbows at the moment and occasionally in my inner forearms. Sometimes it is in my hips and I find walking painful. Do you have any sensations of prickling, burning or pins and needles in any part of your body?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.