Emergency colectomy with loop ileostomy then reversal

Posted , 5 users are following.

i am wondering if anyone who has had the emergency operation, had to wear the bag etc. gotten it reversed then gotten well....only to feel totally stressed and anxious about other things happening. Can someone get post traumatic stress after its all over and your well? I want to feel so grateful that I am alive and well but some days I am just not right in my mind. Very anxious. Any one go through this? 😅Thank you. I appreciate everything you have all had to say here.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I had my reversal April 2015!  Your anxieties I would say are typically normal after such a traumatic time, I think the way we deal with stress individually can be the only difference.  I'm not normally an anxious person but have suffered bad dreams, relived the traumatic operation and since the reversal, have thoughts like when is it all going to go wrong again!!  Any twinge in the tummy frightens me, I do now have a hernia to deal with because of the surgery but they assure me it 'won't cause any problems' not in my head though!!  Try not to expect too much of yourself, it takes time to heal, talk about how you are feeling, I'm guessing that a near death experience can take a long time to heal from, allow yourself that.  Good luck and try to be patient, you're not going mad, just being able to talk about these feelings show you are in a degree of control, stay strong x
    • Posted

Thanks Carol, I am so happy to be living pain free. I often wake in the middle of night and just cry for no physical reason. I appreciate your reassurance. I am sure I would give someone who has had all this the same advice. Seems we are harder on ourselves above anyone. 

Thanks again. Will you have to have that hernia fixed? 

• Posted

I'm convinced it is a form of post traumatic stress, it is amazing how they can fix you and get everything working normally,for them a job they do on a daily basis for us life changing!!  I visited my GP the other day regarding the hernia and she asked me, did anyone tell you what to expect after all this surgery, the answer to that is definitely no.  Because of that and the fact we are fixed does not mean we are mentally prepared,  perhaps post surgery counselling is what we should of had.  Oh and I will have to have the hernia fixed at some stage, just waiting for a ct scan to see the extent of it, it is pretty big and today so painful, so of course I am imagining all sorts.  Take care, stay strong oh and don't lift anything heavy 😬😬
    • Posted

What antibiotic were you given in the hospital? Some people have mental reactions to Cipro or other fluoroquinolone antibiotics. Anxiety and crying for no reason have been documented. A magnesium supplement or eating food rich in magnesium can help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.