Herniated disc and annular tears

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi All 

I have just come back from the doctors with a copy of the report from my MRI i have Herniated disc L4-L5  and annular tears L2- L3 has anyone had either of these and what treatment have you had. I have been now given tramadol and 50mg of Amytriptline. she also referred me for physio but i have been asking her for a rheumatologist appointment a smy arthritis is so painful but still she wont. Going round in circles and so frustrated ...

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Lisa has your doctor told you why she won't refer you because she's not acting very professionally? Under the NHS a patient is supposed to be referred if that's their request unless it is clearly inappropriate.
    • Posted

Hi Matron

she wants me to try physio first but i am just in so much pain during the night i would like a diagnosis of what type of arthritis I have. been suffering for years with back pain but just getting worse and i dont think the diagnosis she has given me matches the amount of pain. Even my heels are so painful to walk on in the morning. i have ordered a copy of my MRI on a disc to see if anyone can look at it for me. just bashing my head against a wall without a referal i have got no chance all she does is dish out pain killers

• Posted

Is there another GP in the practice you can see? Someone a bit more sympathetic? I have osteoarthritis and I know how important it is to see the appropriate consultant. After all they are the experts.
  • Posted

It sounds like Osteoarthritis as opposed to rhumatoid, i have osteoarthritis myself. You could ask another GP in the practice for a referal. In the meantime the Amitriptyline will help with sleep as it relaxes the nerves around the spine. Depending on the dose you may feel quite sleepy in the morning so monitor it. 
    • Posted

Hi Elizabeth

Thank you for your reply I have been given 50mg of Amytritiline and tramadol for pain... Made another appointment to see another doctor on Monday. The pain has been excruciating.

Hopefully I will find out what type of arthritis I have. Just nice to have contact with someone who knows the pain your feeling... So depressed don't know how I am supposed to carry on at work

Thank you

• Posted

HI Lisa

My son had the same and suffered horribly. His doctor gave him Oxiconton when it was legal and he spend his day high and sleeping on the floor for 6 mths. After physio and acupuncture he finally came home and it looked like he aged 30 years. We did not want him to have surgery as its never good. Finally my sister who is a nurse said she had several success patients from Spinal Decompression Therapy which involves stretching the spine, using a traction table or similar motorized device, with the goal of relieving back pain and/or leg pain. It was a miracle. My son was hunched over and his back was all twisted. His bowels did not work well and lived on elax and sleeping pills as well. After the therapy, because he has so much infection during his problem, he went for an epidural steriod injection at the hospital and it cleared up the infection and today he 100 % That was 6 years ago. Today he swims and works out in the gym to keep his back muscles strong....

• Posted

Thank you Wanda lovely to hear a positive outcome when your in this much pain
  • Posted

Well Lisa, you are not alone for sure. This type of problem is common and I understand the pain. I hope you can ice your back as much as you can tolerate. It would help for sure to reduce inflamation. I hope you look into the Decompression and ask the doctor about the steriod injection as well. Take care. Wanda

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.