Intermittent use of esmya for fibroids

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone had any reduction in fibroid symptoms after taking esmya for a second course of three months. I have finished a first three month course and still have some pelvic pain. I wondered if it is possible to obtain an improvement with the second course of 3 months if not gained much in the first three months. There will be a 2 month gap in between as advised by the Dr. (They can be used intermittently now and not just prior to surgery).  

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Michelle

I cant answer the question but i am on my first week of taking Esmya after a failed op to remove my fybriods.  Can i ask if you gained weight whilst taking Esmya? I was on Zoladex for 3 months and gained some weight - just hoping i dont with the new tablets.

cheers Louise

• Posted

Hi Briggsy

I do not believe i did gain weight during the 3 months. I still weighed the same. I did sometimes have a swollen stomach at times but that can be due to the tabs or the fibroids and different stages of the cycle. In my case my periods completely stopped after the first one. Side effects were minimal. There were ocassional headaches in the beginning. It was worth it if they would reduce the size of the fibroids. In my case I may have to start a second course after a brief break to try for improvements in symptoms which I hope a reduction in their sizes will bring.  

• Posted

I have been on Esyma since September with a 2 month gap and started a second course in December.  After the 1st course, I had a an ultra scan and my fibroid has had shrank but the consultant does not think it will be sufficient to stop the heavy bleeding I have been having with my period so put on a second course to shrink it further.

I had alot of headache and was tired at the beginning of taken of Esyma. I do feel iit n my system and you do noticed more when you had a break,

• Posted

Hi there, thanks for your comments. Did you mean you noticed you did not have the side effects of headaches and tiredness when you were not on the esmya i.e when on the two month break?            

& when you started the second course did you get the side effects of headaches again at the beginning or not  that time because you were used to it now from the first course of them,     Ta,

• Posted

When I started taken Esyma first time around, I did get headaches and was tired at the beginning and then on and off throughout the 3 months. When I came off the medication for 2 months, I noticed an increase in energy in myself.

Now I am back on Esyma, I 'feel it' in my system again because I feel alot more tired. Fingercrossed that this course will be enough to shrink the fibroid!!

I hope this info helps.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, that is helpful. I think I can relate to what you say as being the same for me. I am on the gap and feel less tired etc. I was aware of that feeling too when on them. Bit more tired and on and off headaches the same, sometimes a slight dizzy feeling very ocassionally but not often. You just hope they shrink the fibroids and then it is worth it. Of course not having the period is a good side effect.   
  • Posted

Hi everyone! I have been offered Esmya for intermittent use but haven't decided what to do yet.

What have you guys heard/experienced about fibroids starting to grow again once off Esmya?

What's the headache like? Does it help to take ibuprofen?

Does your mood change while on Esmya? I can't take the pill because it makes me really low so I am a bit scared that Esmya might have that same effect.

Looking forward to hear your experiences!

• Posted

Hi, I was like you before I took Esyma.  The pill did not agree with me so I was hesitant but knew I had to do something and my consultant wanted to follow a non-invasive approach.

The headache is quite intense at the beginning and I nearly did give up but it did get better and they only came  sporaidically throughout the course of treatment. You are alot more tired but I did not get that 'edgy' feeling like the pill which is a relief - that's what I hated about the pill the most!

My fiibroid has shrunk from the 1st lot of treatment but on a 2nd course to ensure that has shrunk further to stop the heavy bleeding so fingers crossed!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.