Addisons crisis or just low cortisol?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have Addison's disease for 10 years. Every once in a while I feel very run down and sort of out of it if that makes sense? For the past 4 days I am having a hard time staying awake. I cannot stay up for more than 2 hours at a time and have just basically slept the days away. I have a headache and feel nauseated on top of this. A couple times I have even felt dizzy. I have been doing a lot of reading (while I am awake) on the subject of addisonian crisis and was just wanting to see what some other people think that have gone through this. I have doubled my meds but it hasn't helped yet. Although I just started that yesterday. Any advice would help. Thank you in advance.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi,when was the last time you attended your endocrine clinic and had your levels checked, if your appointment is a few months way maybe you can ring the clinic to see if you can have your appointment brought forward,or you could visit your GP also to check blood pressure as I have also had blood pressure that tends to be on the low side, this is a busy time of year have you been over doing things you do have to pace your self and not take on to much, if you have no cold/flu symptoms and you have been taking your medication on time then you should not be feeling like this I would cancel all engagements for a while and spend time at home resting up upping your meds does take a few days to kick in if you do not feel any better please go and see your GP in the mean time realise your body is telling you all is not well listen to it and rest, hope you feel better soon.
  • Posted

I am rather surprised you have 'survived' 10 yrs without having had an Addisonan crisis. The important  word is 'crisis' - ie. something v serious even life-threatening, probably needing i.v. injection of 100ml + of Hydrocortisone. You should see your GP about your current situation. I was taught to triple my normal dose if I had an  infecton
  • Posted

First, just wanted to say that the moderator deleted my earlier reply at my request, because it was based on my failure to read your post correctly.

Secondly and more importantly, when there is clearly something significantly the matter as there is in your case, you should definitely seek to speak to your GP straight away. Most GP surgeries have the option to request a telephone call, which will happen same day or at most within 24 hours. Whilst it is true that GPs are not the best at diagnosing rare endo problems, once they know the condition they can quickly read up on the complications. If you need sending to a consultant sharpish, they'll do it. Don't wait until you need life support.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.