Giardia and other issues

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

i have tested twice for giardia this last year in May and October. My son also got diagnosed with Giardia. In between this period I suffered with infections of the sinuses and some awful spots on my back. I recently took a combination of albendazole and tinizadole and am re-testing to see if the Giardia has been cleared. I also did IGG tests and my subclasses were slightly borderline low. I have also tested repeatedly for HIV (I am anxious) and am definitely 100% negative. My main symptoms remain an odd bitter taste in the mouth which comes and goes; an unstable stomach with gurgling; odd spots on the back and most oddly, muscle aches and strains (I have pulled 3 muscles). My questions are as follows:

a)IF the re-test for Giardia is negative does this sound like a post infectious auto-immune disorder?

b)Is it worth testing for any other parasitic disorder? The albendazole should destroy most parasites?

c)what do people use for treating an auto-immune disorder?

This has been the most depressing and odd period of poor health in my life so need real advice.

best wishes

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Since traveling to Uganda in May of 2012, I've also battled CFS-like systoms (and am unable to hold a job as result.) This many years later we're just now seriously exploring possibility the of schistosomiasis - both the mansoni & haematobium species. As it turns out, schisto doesn't always properly register on serology tests. As gal who leads research teams at Yale cautioned me, "Schisto is notorious for ghosting in the system."

I'm wondering, did you travel somewhere where you could have picked up schistosomiaisis / bilharzia, by swimming, wading, or coming into contact with infected fresh water bodies? For schisto you'd also need to be treated with praziquantel - not just albendazole.

Best of luck in finding answers. I'm nearly 4 years out in seeking a diagnosis... the journey takes patient and perseverance. It's a tough go, but keep following up with any clue you might find in your lab results - e.g. parasitic diseases are associated with elevated EOS levels. If you have unexplained eosinophilia (and travel history to an area where parasites are endemic), there's a good chance there is still a parasite at play in your body.

• Posted

Katrina

I initially thought i got the giardia in spain but i now believe it is likely to have been either the turks and caicos or mauritius where we went on holiday last xmas and april. We stayed at nice hotels but of course that means nothing with giardia.

i am attaching an article which i have just read which is fascinating about the extra intestinal issues associated with giardia.

I will discuss your points with my Infectious Diseases doctor when I see him on 18th Jan. I believe he has done a tropical screen for Bilharzia too. My only concern is i took the test 8 days after i finished antibiotics so not sure if this would pick it up? I can do it again if necessary.

the bottom line is I know i do not feel right - it is hard to explain but the only time i felt well again was on the albendazole!

• Posted

Hi Katrina

I realise your post is quite old however my husband was working in Egypt and fell ill in Sept 2016 and has been treated multiple times now for Schisto and like you say they have been unable to achieve a positive test. He too has been unable to work.

Have you been treated and are you better now? have a positive result?

What are/were your main symptons?

Kind Regards Tamara from Australia

• Posted

Hi Tamara,

What is the problem for your husband ? is he tested completely ?

• Posted

Our ancestors used Birch Polypore (Piproporus betulina) and other medicinal mushrooms to treat parasites.  Modern scientific studies are confirming what the ancestors all over the world knew through thousands of years of observing, trying, and testing botanical and mycological remedies.  If I had giardia I'd use any combo I could get my hands on of Birch Polpore, Red Reishi, Chaga, Amadou, White Reishi, Willow Bracket, Red Belted Polypore, and/or Turkey Tail mushroom.  Teas and/or extracts from these mushrooms will kill a broad spectrum of bacteria, viruses, and other microbes while nourishing, invigorating, and soothing the human being.  They boost the immune sytem, reduce inflammation, can be taken for long periods of time with positive side effects, and are inexpensive compared to patented phamaceuticals--or even free if you learn to gather and prepare them yourself. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.