Heart attack/angina or indigestion!

Posted , 5 users are following.

HI guys. I wrote about indigestion/acid reflux a few weeks ago. But however I am beginning to wonder, well Im more worked up I guess. I am a smoker of 20 years I am 39 years old, and recently have had indigestion/heartburn for last 6 weeks, put on Lansoprozal (not great help) but last 3 days I have a really bad pain in leg, more like annoying nagging cramps. I also this weekend get bouts of pain across my chest, so Im confused and scared mostly if I have angina/getting a slow onset heart attack etc. I know this may sound like a crazy post, but I am so very worrried, I know if I go to the doctor they will say you are only 39...it's indigestion becuase that's why you were here before blah, blah? thanks you all 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Herbie............firstly ,with you being a smoker,has the doc looked at the possible cause of the reflux..........sometimes smokers get inflamed oesophagus which causes acid probs...........treatable with anti inflammatory perhaps.

Ive read in these forums of people getting chestpain whilst on the PPI drugs,Im not saying that is the case,it may be a side effect of reflux..............Probably best not to assume the docs reaction and go back to him with the chest pains and leg pains and see what he comes up with.

• Posted

Hi George. Thank you, yes I am on acid reflux tablets (lanzsprozal) I am a 39 year old female, but I guess you are right, but I think I will pay a visit to be on the safe side, but I know they will say you are only 39 etc. In Ireland they are quite reluctant to take it seriously. But thank you for your reply. G
    • Posted

Yes well in England ive seen it written by medics that they'd rather see a person with chest pains than ignore it..........even if it turns out to be indigestion..................you be assertive with your surgery and get yourself sorted,nobody else is going to look after you.........Age has nothing to do with it,more about life style in many cases....20 yrs of smoking is good enough reason to be a little pushy in getting taken seriously.........I know how you feel tho,sometimes it takes me days just to get my head right to get past the reception desk!.....G
    • Posted

Are you in Northern Ireland ,or the Republic? I lived in the South for 15 years and the service was better than the U. K  In saying that I do not

smoke.

• Posted

If you are getting pains that could have any suggestion of originating from a heart condition, your GP is duty bound to send you for an ECG at least.
  • Posted

Herbie,

Get your heart checked. It could be the PPI's, they caused my chest pain, but at least I got my heart checked to be certain. Your body is screaming for attention listen to it.

Beter safe then sorry.

Take care,

André

• Posted

I have bad gastric reflux and put off going to hospital for over a week. I was having TIA's and ended up with a heart attack, so at least go to A & E and get yourself checked. Age is not always a factor in heart attacks and the symptons are very similar. So don't take the risk.
  • Posted

A lot of advice has been offered  Herbie,but you seem reluctant to reply to any of us

,so, are we to assume that you are now feeling better ????

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.