What I learned about Orlistat (and healthy living) in 2015

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi - a year ago today I stood on the scales 3 stones heavier than I did this morning. Ok so it's not as much as some people lose in a year but I'm no longer obese and wear size 12/14 clothes. Perhaps more importantly I no longer have high blood pressure and don't take any medication now (apart from Orlistat). I'm reasonably happy with this but intend to continue to lose another stone in 2016. Was it all down to Orlistat? Well I'm afraid that there is no tablet that's going to give a quick fix to your obesity problem but what it does give you is a focus to start.

My top tips to weight loss have been:-

1) writing down my goals at the beginning of the journey and the reasons why I wanted to lose weight.

2) use my fitness pal to log what I eat (even when I don't want to see!)

3) if possible exercise - start doing more than you did before - even if it's exercises in a chair there's relatively few people who can do nothing.

For me half way through the year I started doing the NHS couch to 5k which has been an absolute revelation. Look on health unlocked website and the NHS website for more information.

4) don't beat yourself up if you eat something you feel That you shouldn't. Before I've got so hung up about this. Not this time. I move on to the next day. I don't deny myself any food (even if it is more than 5g fat per 100!) but I don't eat it regularly - usually saving it for a weekend - and then I get back to it.

Good luck on your journey in 2016!

rd

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Thank you for this inspirational post, I have started AGAIN today and will make it crack this time. 

I spent a lot of time excercising and swimming last year, but weigh heavire now than I did last this time last year - my problem, I think, is that I was eating at the wrong times and far to much.

I am not making any rash promises or poutting myself under undue pressure, BUT i am on it NOW

Good luck with your last milestone 

Regards Andrea  

• Posted

Well done Andrea for getting back on the wagon. You've made that important step. I hope the tips help. Writing down what you eat is an eye opener!

Good luck

RD

• Posted

Started back on the tabs today thanks for your post, its given me alot of determination and well done on your loss x
    • Posted

Thanks Karen. Good luck on your journey. Have you thought about what you're going to eat?
  • Posted

Ladies, can I ask how you lost your weight? I've followed the SW plan but list very little. I'm now back on the tablets from today and want to be successful this time
    • Posted

Hi - I have tried lots of diets in the past. This is a very boring answer but this time I didn't put unrealistic targets on myself. Sometimes didn't lose even a pound a week but I kept going by keeping my calories logged and below 1300 cals to start off with and tried to exercise 3 times a week. I used myfitnesspal to log everything I ate - I logged exercise on there too. Most Saturday's I enjoyed myself and ate more. Have you been on myfitnesspal? Once you start it's very easy to log food as we tend to eat the same things. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.