Severe headache with no help

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am posting here out of desperation.  Been off work 3 weeks with constant headache, spent first week in bed as just thought it was virus.  Been to go so any times and given all sorts of mess, now not taking anything.

I have been referred a week ago for urgent ct heads an and today just been told it will be up to 6 weeks wait.  I am beside myself and crying a lot as I just cannot cope.  Just spoken to go who has booked me to see another go for second opinion this afternoon.  I asked if I should just go to a&e as I am desperate for relief but go said could not advise that.  She said we could may be look at getting me admitted.

just do not know which way to turn now as feel so poorly and really fed up.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Sid

If there is one thing I have found out in my life, then it is that if you want something bad, you must expect to pay for it.

Your health is your top priority....if you want scans, second opinions etc at speed, then you need to consider paying for it.  That way you can see someone quickly and once you have that initial diagnosis, the NHS might be able to take over.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi how r u getting on? I have tension headaches and like you am struggling big time I am crying all over the place and gp just says take paracetamol
    • Posted

Hi 

Well I have now been off work for 3 months and am really no further on.  5 weeks ago I paid to see a neurologist as it would be 3 months via NHS. He diagnosed chronic migraine and prescribed topiramate and I have been taking that for 5 weeks with no improvement.  He said not to expect any for at least 6 weeks and that the side effects may be unpleasant.  Had no result so saw gap again and am now on amitryptyline too, and weaning off topiramate as think this is actually making headache worse.

today taken co-codomol and ibuprofen and actually feel bit better so sticking with that for now.  Am waiting for hysterectomy in April and think that may help sort things out.

just keep pestering go they have to help you.  Visit A and e too if you are in a lot of pain they really helped me with instant pain relief although it was not long lasting.

• Posted

Hi so sorry to hear that your not much better, there are some useful migraine support websites that might be good for you. Think I have cried myself all out today will check back with gp soon and do some pushing. I to have been to a+e and out of hours gp as the pain was beyond what I could cope with they gave me strong Meds which numbed the pain I could feel it there still and side effects not nice so hoping I don't have to do this again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.