To-do myotomy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

Does anyone have any experience of having a redo myotomy? Mine was in 2013 and was initially successful but slowly failed since.I'm having the myotomy repeated at the end of January . I guess they will have to reverse the partial multiplication and after completing the myotomy. Reform the fundoplication. Anyone been through this with any experiences. Thanks Graeme

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Where did you have it done? Failures are usually attributed to the surgeons lack of experince when carrying out he initial operation. In the UK many surgeons "have a go" as it's interesting for them. Which is nice for them but not for you! We travelled miles to see Ian Beckingham at Queens Medical Centre - Nottingham. He has done over 100 HM's which is the largest series in the uk. He's the man you need. Ask GP to be referred to him - he's at the Circle Centre on a Monday morning. He has his own websites google him x
  • Posted

I was told I couldnt have a Myotomy so your lucky in that respect I was told my gullet is to badly scarred. I would like a second opinion but only one Surgeon my area. Good luck though.
  • Posted

Sometimes the fundoplication can loosen after a while, and sometimes this might have been due to vomiting, severe coughing etc.   I know of one person who has had this revision surgery done (Southampton) and it went without problem.
  • Posted

Because I have started having trouble again, I recently met with the throacic surgeon at the University of Iowa that did my myotomy in 2013 and he recommended another (new procedure) myotomy surgery.  They (he and the GI surgeon) will do it in  the Endoscopy lab.  They've done 25-35 of them and have had a good degree of success.  I have an appointment to see the GI surgeon beginning of next month.  Will be following your entries to see how how you fare after your surgery.  Blessings and good health to you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.