Need some reassurance please, freaking out :(

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have what I thought/think is a cyst. I went to the doctors December 11th with some intermittent right sided low pelvic pain/twinges which were happening every 5 minutes for 2 weeks. Doc advised me to wait till my period was over to see if it went away or got better. Well it did actually (go away), but here we are again & it is back with a vengenge. Pain started again around ovulation time & I am due for my period any day now. I seem to get the pain for 2 weeks on then 2 weeks off (hormones making the cyst act up?) Anyway, I am now freaking out cuz over the last week now I am so bloated, I look/feel like I'm 6-7 months pregnant sad I also have upper abdominal pains/pressure as well! I am freaking out cuz everything I read online about abdominal bloating, is saying its something called ascities? And that is fluid caused by ovarian cancer not cysts! Anyone out there that have or have had cysts and get really bad bloating like me? I am awaiting my period to be over than am going back to doc to request an ultrasound. I don't want to go now as the last time I had one done right b4 my period, it showed a thickening uterine lining (well duh I am due for my period) Need less to say I had to repeat it after my period was over just to be sure. it did go down of course, but I was still freaking out the whole time b4 it was repeated, so I would rather not have the worry again & just go when I am done my period. I also have been feeling very full after eating or even drinking a glass of water for that matter! Anyone that can help reassure me at this point would be greatly appreciated.... 

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Pam,

It's hard not to but reading the Internet Is never good.

I had a cyst which was about 30cm by the time of surgery. Any bloating was a permanent thing my stomach was constantly solid and didn't go down, I did look pregnant and kept getting bigger. I didn't really have any other symptoms in spite it crushing my kidney and liver. Should also note it wasn't cancer.

I'd go to the doctor if you're worried. Was two weeks before I got my ultrasound. Many different things can cause bloating so try not to worry yourself.

Sue x

• Posted

Hi Sue, thx so much for the reassurance. I try not to google but that's easier said than done! Yes I know many many things can cause bloating & I know cysts also cause this, but I didn't know to what extent that meant (feeling bloated & looking it are 2 different things to me). I am reassured hearing you were quite bloated as well & had a negative result, I am going to the docs for an ultrasound right after my period is done. Thanks again & yikes 30cm wow biggrin
    • Posted

I'm guilty of searching the Internet too, I know how hard it is when you're worried. I both looked and felt bloated with it and my stomach was really hard.

Good luck with your ultrasound hopefully it's nothing and easily dealt with👍🏻😉

• Posted

Hi Pam,

I too have the same sort of thing but the pain for me is constant I get a pulling and burning feeling on the top part of my stomach and my stomach is sooo bloated and hard I look pregnant!!

I also can't eat much as get full really quickly.

I've had an ultrasound and they could only see fluid in my stomach. Had lots of blood tests which were all ok, had a ct scan last week and they have found a mass measuring 36cm coming from my ovaries. I'm just waiting to hear back from the hospital consultant with the next steps.

So your right to go see your doctors again after your period that's when My stomach bloated and my doctors first told me it was ibs!! Don't let the doctors fob you off, and also request blood tests, they should do this anyway along with the ultra sound.

I'm sure everything is ok and keep positive and try not Google things, I hold my hands up as I've done that and it isn't a good idea!!

Take care xx

• Posted

When did the doctor diagnosis you with ibs? How long did you have symptoms?
    • Posted

Well I'd say at end of sept my stomach kept cramping up and then I was really bloated and have been since. At the time I had no pain jus a cramping feeling. Then I was on my period. Waiting for it to finish and still no change so went to the doctors.

Now I am in a fair amount of constant pain which has come on since mid Dec, I get burning sensation on the top right of my stomach sometimes and a pulling feeling. I can't sit in the same place for a long time, can't walk or stand for very long without it hurting and im on tramadol for the pain.

Defo get to doctors asap hope you feel better soon xx

• Posted

Just my opinion but I would not wait. I had a 7 cm cyst removed in August along with both ovaries and tubes and a d&c because my uterine lining was thicker than it should have been. I had lower uterine pain after standing or sitting for any length of time. With the bloating you are feeling and also feeling full after eating or drinking I would go in ASAP as those symptoms should definitely not be ignored. If you go in now you can put your mind at ease as they can also do the blood test for ovarian cancer. Good luck to you and feel better soon.
    • Posted

Did you have the same symptoms as me? How was your outcome? I am spotting now so am getting my period any time now. I am definally going to the doctor, but l don't even think that they can do the ultrasound now that I will be bleeding. I also have ibs and am wondering if the upper abdominal pain, bloating and feeling full is from that? Hard to say when symptoms overlap.

Ibs definitely comes out when your stressed and boy have I been stressed sad I have also had very bad bloating, upper abdominal pain and feeling full quick with an ibs flare before

• Posted

I did feel bloated but didn't have any problems with feeling full. But if you have IBS that could be making feel worse. 
    • Posted

Did you have an actual bigger belly or just feel bloated? This is So worrisome rolleyes I suppose I should just go for an ultrasound and stop googling 
    • Posted

I just felt bloated. And I had this weird gurgling noise also. I too googled it and was convinced it was cancer. My Ob said to STOP GOOGLEING, lol
  • Posted

Hi Pam,

Reading your post, you're describing everything I was experiencing about 6/7 months ago.

Awful pain on my right side, at its worst when supposedly ovulating, terrible period pains then pain for 4 days or so once my period had ended. I was also terribly bloated, looked pregnant, was loosing weight else where due to a lifestyle changes but yet wasn't loosing my pregnant looking tummy.

Anyho, I eventually plucked up the courage to go to my GP after feeling, what I thought was my uterus or something enlarged in my pelvis. Felt like a hard odd shaped ball. Doc felt it straight away so I was sent the following morning for blood tests including the ca125 test, referred to a gynaecologist and sent for an ultra sound. All happened within the following week.

Results of ca125 came back in the hundreds and alarm bells were ringing from then on. Ultra sound showed my right ovary was covered in several 'chocolate cysts' but also detected two larger masses that docs couldn't identify... was sent for internal scans, numerous appointments with my gynae, a CT and an MRI.... still they couldn't identify what the masses were so I was booked for surgery and just had to wait until they opened me up and saw them. Surgery was on the 26th November, both masses were removed successfully including the several chocolate cysts and thankfully all biopsies were benign.

It was a traumatic experience but ended on a high, also managed to save both my ovaries which was a huge relief and a shock as they told me they'd definitely need to remove the left as the largest mass was attached .... even went through the motions prior to the mri of thinking I'd have to have a full hysterectomy but thankfully mri results showed that that wouldn't need to happen.

Turns out I just had a very bad case of endometriosis and the masses were endometriomas that was causing all the issues.... the symptoms of endometriosis are pretty much the same as ovarian cancer..... and endo can also cause a ca125 test to be high.

Sorry I've waffled on.. but basically moral of my post, it may well be something so simple that can be sorted for you rather quickly. You think the worst, it's so hard not to but you have to keep positive and defo go back to your GP, request an ultra sound, request to be sent for bloods and referred to a gynaecologist.

Hope everything gets sorted for you soon xxx

• Posted

Wow you definitely had rough time with all the tests but so glad everything turned out good smile thanks for the support. Did you have upper abdominal pain? I also have issues with ibs so I am wondering if these 2 things (ibs and cyst) symptoms are overlapping?
    • Posted

Hi Pam,

No I didn't get upper abdominal pain really. It was all on the right side of my pelvis quite low down which would often spread down my right upper thigh which was also horrible pain and my lower back again on the right hand side. Pain got so intense eventually that I couldn't sleep, couldn't function and was constantly popping pain killers to try and help. That along with the spotting in between my monthly cycle, heavy and painful periods... bloating, tenderness, constant urinating and then eventually actually feeling the cysts were all symptoms of the endo!

Must be terrible for you to have the IBs problems on top of all this too 😕

Noticed your comment with fluid too... ultrasounds revealed fluid in my pelvis too and I Googled it (stupidly ) and stressed myself out as it was linked to cancer so just to reassure you that fluid doesn't always mean the worst! 😉😉😉😉😉😉

• Posted

Thanks for the fluid comment makes me feel better smile Stupid Google and me for using it lol
    • Posted

Oh this fluid comment has reassured me too thankyou !!!! Had a 2nd scan we'd and she couldn't see my left ovary as too much fluid !!!! Got home googled and convinced myself I have ovarian cancer !!havent eaten anything in days !!saw Dr this morning he reassured me my cysts on other ovary hadn't grown fluid around other is not specific it's just a symptom ( my tummy is flat I showed him and made him look for signs of fluid lol !!!!!hes sending me for cognitive therapy to help my anxiety xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.