just ruptured my Achilles tendon

Posted , 9 users are following.

I ruptured my Achilles tendon on 1.2.16 while on vacation in fl.  I live in ga.  after some quick research we drove home yesterday on the 4th. And have an appointment with an 

Orth. Dr. on the 7th....  

I am 63 and was in excellent shape.  Was trying a new sport (pickle ball)

and was more worried about my knee than anything.  After about 1 hr

felt great then I thought someone hit me from behind with a baseball bat.

When I turned around and there was no one there I was actually quite surprised.  

After doing some research it seems a lot of new

studies shows that non surgical is just as effective as surgical as long

as you have the proper PT.  Will be interested in what the Ortho. Dr, says.

He was highly recommended by the PT I used before who told be he is

the best foot and ankle dr. in Atlanta and that he has done a lot of research in this area.  He is a Emory dr.  will see.

any way right after I hurt my leg went immediately to Clinic and they said

to call an ortho. immediately which meant Monday since I got hurt on a 

sat.  was real depressing.  Looks like a long road ahead.  Will read up on

Some of the posts and see if I can get anymore good info.

0 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Tendon injury seems a very variable injury, so hope you have a smooth return . I'm 66 (uk) and had conservative treatment for a partial rupture about 15 months ago. Not into sports but did a lot of walking. The tendon is fine now, but the calf muscle is still weakso its messing with my walking; no strength so its putting stress on my leg and hips; little walking means i've puit on weight over the last year and thats not helping the knees. I guess beware of loosing condition over the period of immobilisation.. but I'm not sure how you can do that! I'm planning to contact the physio I had during recovery to see what they advise.
    • Posted

thaks for reply was worried about walking as I love that too.

Heard from a lot of people about the weaker calf muscle and will ask

my PT down the road about it and will be interested to hear what yours says.

I am going to try to stay away from the confort food and alchol. they 

were not a problem when I exercised but I want to try to advoid 

gaining weight. easily said but we will see

• Posted

Hi,

Did a full rupture of my achillies tendon 7 weeks ago.  In UK it seems that the opinion unless you are a very active sportsman the best way forward is the none operation way, conservative treatment.  So far had no pain or anything after 4 weeks of not putting any weight on it and 3 weeks of walking on it with the boot.

The biggest nuisances are:

A) the 4 weeks of having to use crutches,  used a office chair with wheels on a      home.

B) Not being able to drive as did in the right leg

C) Having to sleep with the boot on.

D) Foot gets very sweaty in boot but doctor says can keep out of boot when resting as long as leave foot pointing down

Best advice so far:

a)  Wash leg in salt water

b)  Use a foot spa

c) Go for walks when out of boot in the sea.

Good Luck

• Posted

I could be wrong but it seems In US surgery seems to be the number one choice despite the recent studies.  My PT said that he has had success with both surgery and non surgical.  Will see what the Ortho.

dr. said tomorrow.

yes crutches are not good.  It is scary going in public plalces never know what you are going to run into.  On he way to fl (beore I was hurt). I rebember going the the bathroom after they just washed the floor and sliding around.  No way I could of made it with crutches.

Guess I will experience the boot soon thanks for that advice.

Not being able to drive stinks at least I am retired and my wife

just works part time.  Did the Dr. give u and idea of how long after

you started treatment you would be able to drive?  

good luck

• Posted

I found a plastic bag thing over the boot let me shower regularly without getting the boot wet. (Google "Limbo foot protector"). I did get the sock wet inadvertantly and ended up with a very unplesaant foot!

I also used "Hibiscrub" to wash.. on the bed on a towel and get the boot off for a good scratch and wash! Be carful to keep the toes tipped down

• Posted

Hi Steve. Similar to some of the others I have a full rupture, 3 weeks in and in a boot with no surgery. There have been some good studies in the UK that suggest non surgery gives equally good results, google Richard Wallace or Exeter Hospital. I have been told to not to expect to drive for around 8-9 weeks (right leg)  so am on crutches when I'm out of the house, at work etc but at home I have hired a knee scooter which is fantastic. It allows me to carry stuff much more easily, even things like a cup of coffee because it runs smoothly. I'm sure you would be able to get them in the US as well

I could use it outside as well but I don't mind crutches now I've got used to them, put some pipe lagging on the handles to ease the early hand pain! I'm pretty nimble on them now and can get up and down the stairs at work pretty quickly now. (I'm 53 so not a spring chicken!) I find the rubber bases stick to wet surfaces reasonably well as long as I take smaller steps. good luck with your recovery.

• Posted

Yes there are more studies that are showing the advantages of non-surgery.  My Orth prefers the knife but I wanted that as a last resort. My rehab. seems a little different time wise but same idea.  Not sure what is best.  I am suppose to put a little weight on it at starting week 3 , but we'll see.

the scooter is great.  Got one on Amazon for a good price.

Dr told me that 8 wks I should be able to drive.  We'll see

Hope your recovery continues to go well

• Posted

Hi,

The doctor is suggesting in week 12, but I am not too hopeful.

I only went out occasionally with crutches as so dodgy in the wet.

Thanks

Laurence

• Posted

I was driveing an automatic (left foot in a boot) after about 5 weeks, manual after about 12. On the plus side, our supermarket lets you use a battery buggy, and I had great fun seeing how fast I could go up the isles and do handbrake turns at the end!

• Posted

I went to the orthopedic dr. Thursday 1.7.16 five days after the accident.  Saw the sports medicine guy 1st. (not sure his background, was an assistant to Ortho. Dr)

Said swelling was not that bad (I religiously kept my foot elevated and iced since the accident).  He did the Thompson test and said I had a little movement.  He also said that the rupture did not look as bad as a lot of people who came in.   Not sure exactly what he meant but any good news was music to my ears.

I still had no pain at all.   

Then the Ortho. Dr. came in.  He did the Thompson test and said it was a complete rupture. (Wife said he did the test higher on my calf).  He also felt all around my tendon and foot.  I was in a state of high anxiety waiting for excruciating pain, but it never came, just mild soreness.  I was amazed.

He recommended surgery and stressed that re rupture was more likely without surgery.  I decided from what I read and what activities I plan to do and possible negative effects of surgery that I wanted a non surgical solution.  I also read with the proper PT , in the long run there is no difference between non surgical and surgical as far as re rupturing the tendon.   

So they fitted me with a boot and made an appointment for 4 wks. On

Feb. 4th, 2016.

In the US , from my limited experience,  it seems like surgery is still the first choice while in Canada and UK it is the opposite.   I know 2 Physical Therapists.   One said that most people he sees had surgery but he has had successful rehabilitation with both surgery and non surgery patients.  The other PT said his patients were close to 100% Surgery.

The Method my Ortho Dr. will use for my rehabilitation is based on:

Accelerated Rehabilitation Program For Non -Operative Treatment of Achilles Tendon Ruptures adapted from:

Willits K, Amendola A, Bryant D, Mohtadi NG, Giffln JR, Fowler P, Kean CO,Kirkley A, Operative versus nonoperative treatment of acute Achilles tendon ruptures: a multicenter randomized trial using accelerated functional rehabilitation. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2010 Dec

Other notes:

1)    After 2 wks. Can stand with crutches and put 5% weight on foot then gradually add more.  Can add more weight slowly as tolerated. Should be interesting since I yet to have any pain  (no complaints on this no pain)

2)    After week 4 start PT.  I can also do one legged aerobic exercise on the stationary bike and the exercise the PT give me.

3)    Drive at 8 wks.- sounds optimistic to me based on what I read.

4)    At 8-12 weeks there is a warning in capital letters about this being a time where re ruptures can occur.

(The above timeline goes on about future goals or timelines until 6 months when I can return to normal sporting actives)

This is scary. (wk. 8-12)

** Ensure patient understands that tendon is still very vulnerable and patients need to be diligent with activities of ADL and exercises. Any sudden loading of the Achilles (eg Trip. Step up stairs etc.) may result in a re rupture**

So far I have been keeping a mostly positive attitude. When the injury occurred and I left the ER Clinic I just broke down and cried.  Also did this a few times since, but I am pretty much focusing on the future when I can sit on a beach or maybe just go for a walk.   

I am (was) very active so this has been a major adjustment.  I think I cut my calories by 60% since I’m a couch potato and alcohol been zero so far.

I am determined not to put on any weight.

The other thing is I am retired and my wife works part time so I am lucky that I have someone else who is here and has the time to help She’s been great. Cannot imagine living alone and dealing with a seriour tendon injury.

I will try to keep this updated with any mile stones, changes , or progress reports so maybe someone can learn from my experience as I have greatly learned from the people on this site

• Posted

Retired too, and in Uk. I was told they'd prefer the conservative route mainly for the risk of post op infections, and there was alwasys the option of surgury if that didnt work. Seems to have worked anyway. Apart from the minute or so lying on the floor ouching immmiately after the rupture no pain at all; in fact a relief as I'd had bad tendonitis in the months before. At over a year after being released from the PT I'm trying to push back to normal use; I don't do 'exercise' but prefer walking and the gym; I've started to re-address the toe lift stengthening exercises; I think they are more important than I realised.
    • Posted

Hang in there, Steve.  I ruptured mine on Sept 29th, had surgery, and then re-ruptured it on Dec 5th, 2015.  This time around, they chose to do it non-surgically.  I had a much better attitude the second time.  I found a personal trainer who works at my physical therapist's office to do a strength training with me 2-3 times a week until I can engage my lower right leg.  That has helped SO much!  I was actually getting a little depressed on the first round.  I would really encourage you to try to be as active as possible as long as you can stay safe.  We just returned from a 2 week trip to Florida and the Caribbean.  I was on week 3-5 so I was nervous but it all worked out.

Also, I'd highly recommend the vacocast boot.  I had to find it myself and buy it on my own but it has made a world of difference for me. 

• Posted

Hi there Holly 29209 and Steve. Ruptured my left achilles playing badminton (in Philippines). Decided to do surgery as I was fearful of weaker tendons as the doctor said. Surgery was done 4 days post accident. But failed 4 days after that as i slightly slipped and put pressure on foot. Another surgery done  a week later after MRI tests showed a gap of 1.44 cms in the tendon. Its now 4 days after the second surgery - and this time a better and hard cast (last time they put a splint only with a bandage). I think i will be in it for 4 weeks or so and then perhaps the boot. VERY frustrating and I keep imagining (i think) wet feeling inside the cast - wound leaking or something? not sure, doctor says probably sweat only. 

Also not clear when to start physio - not on the wounded ankle but on the rest of the body to keep that strengthened. Any advice on that?

• Posted

sorry to hear.  Slipping is real easy to do when you have only one foot.

I would call the Dr. and ask him about what exercise you can do. They

will usually get back to you.

My dr. said I could bike (indoor with on resistance with boot on) with one leg after 2 weeks!

At 4 weeks my PT said I could use both feet and he also gave me exercise to do.

I never had a cast but I sweat a lot with the boot esp sincec the weather 

has gotten a lot warmer here.

Yes VERY  frustrating, just have to keep at it and do what the DR. and

PT tell you.

good luck and keep us informed

• Posted

thanks Steve - its great to have this community discussion to share and learn from. 9 days today from my second surgery on the achilles. First follow up appointment with the doctor. Still feel sweat (or something) inside the cast, lets see what doct says. Am doing some simple physio exercises at home with a physio. Some sudden occurrence of trembling in damaged leg from time to time.  Will keep you informed 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.