1 week with bell's palsy

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I was diagnosed with Berks palsy 1 week ago, 5 weeks after having a baby! I was on a steroid dose pack and antiviral meds for a week. I've started having excruciating pain behind the ear on the affected side. It's so bad specially at night. Has anyone else expedience pain?

1 like, 57 replies

57 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Sandra when I had it I did have periodic pain like that although not all the time.  It is early days for you so hopefully you will start to see a gradual improvement.   Chin up - it was bad enough dealing with Bells palsy so I can imagine must be extra tough with a newborn baby. 
    • Posted

Yes phillip, it's been petty tough, plus I have 2 & 1/2 year old! She's a great help and big sister though. Thank you I've been a little concerned about the pain, it seems to be constant in the last couple days. I didn't get worked up at the dr, since he said I had classic symptoms, I couldn't close my eye, blow bubble, smile, etc, but you know how the mind works, I'm thinking I'm dying! The pain is worst at night, I haven't been able to sleep good.

• Posted

Yep I convinced myself I had a brain tumour and was dying.  I was living overseas at the time and even paid for a brain scan - of course it was fine.   All I can see is you are at the early stage and from my case, and I know many others, it does gradually get easier so just got to hang in there although if really worried go back to the doctor again. 
    • Posted

Thank you for taking the time and reassuring me! He did say if i didn't start to show any signs of improvement by next week, we could do an mri. My concern was the pain as long as I know that's normal I can be patient!
  • Posted

The weirdest part for me was that I had the exact pain you're talking about, but it didn't start until a week or two after I was diagnosed... It was especially bad at night. But a couple weeks after that, and I was all cleared up and all better. It does take 4 weeks average to go back to normal. It's just a long waiting game. Hang in there, you'll definitely turn around!
  • Posted

Sandra that is exalty what I went thru it was very very painful and noises made it worse 2 yrs later certaintypes of nosies like dogs barking drums playing hurts alot, the pain i. Back of the eargoes away but takes time, i was getting massages by a RN and that helped beyond belief. Best of luck , hope its over soon 
  • Posted

Thank you both! Erin my pain just started yesterday too which is why it was worrying me. Thank you for your response donna, I'm trying to stay positive, and have patience. I tried accupuncture Monday and I think it helped with my eye a bit. I'll go back once more but it's too expensive to go several times a week. Glad to know time will do the trick and that this pain is normal.
    • Posted

You may know this but you can massage yourself which may help relieve pain a bit.  I got shown by a Chinese doctor.   Basically press as hard as you can with thumb or knuckle at the spots just below earlobe on jawbone and in neck where it meets jawbone.   
    • Posted

I didn't know about those areas, I massaged my face but all I did was make it really sore, so I kind of backed off from it, I wasn't sure if I wad doing more harm than good.
  • Posted

Sandra, my doctor told me that I had very severe case of bells palsy, the pain behind the ear was very severe, i had to wait approx 30 days before i started my facial massages, I was not able to go back to work for 45 days, here it is 2 years this past july and my eye is still not back to my normal it is not noticable to anyone but me an when i take pics, it was a slow recovery for me, and im thankful its barely noticable an no more pain. My ear is sound sensetive. All the meds you were given I to was on, it took time , it was so bad I could not even drive, but i did what doctors said an whatever works for you  will get your recovery quicker,sometimes massages help like ine, and somepeople use acupuncture. Wish you a quick recovery andi am thankful for all the people that were on this site that helped me by just describeing there systoms so I knew I was not alone. 
    • Posted

Thank you donna, yes all the responses have helped ease my mind so much! I was never told the severity of my bell's, but the pain behind my ear is unbearable at times, like this morning! I wish there was something to do for that my eye sens to close a lot better today, but I still can't move anything else.
  • Posted

I did exercise on My eye thru out the day opening an closing, i wore an eye patch at night an in the shower PIA, (pain in the ass), i wasso anxious to get over it an back to work an normal life, I was 4 months into an awesomemarriage happiest i wver been an could not smile i was heart broken, but i tried to sing alot when i wasalone just for the muscle exercise in my face, my eye recovered to everyone else but not me i still feel the slowness but i am thankful, the massagesby a friend who is a RN have beyond helped youmayneed to wait before u try that, but over 2 years an i still have them once a month it helped me more then the meds, best of luck , to you. 
    • Posted

What do you suggest the wait time to start massaged again. I massaged my face a few days ago and it became so sore to the touch that I stopped.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.