Anyone with info on Minimally Invasive Bunion Surgery (keyhole)

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi  to all involved in these very interesting discussions re: bunion op experiences.       I am quite surprised that, from the photos that people have sent in and descriptions of their bunion operations,  no one is mentioning they have had the minimally invasive procedure on their bunions which is done by keyhole surgery and a lot quicker recovery time.  If there are people out there that have had it done this way, please let us all know on this site of your description and experiences you've had with it.  

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Hi Pamela,

I had a minimally invasive bunion surgery, Chevron and Akin osteotomy on both feet with three screws in each foot, plus correction of the second toe in one foot with a K wire, three weeks ago. The recovery was, so far, practically painless. I didn't have to take a single tablet of endone that I was given at discharge from the hospital, and was just taking paracetomol in the evening, once a day, for 10 days or so . Swelling is relatively minor. I'm still wearing post-operational shoes (Darco orthowedge), they were awkward at first but it's a matter of getting used to them. I walk up and down the stairs several times a day without problem. The original bandage was removed at two weeks, and the stitches that I saw were four small separate small stitches in each foot, rather than long cuts with many stitches as seen in many photos posted here. In short, I would not doubt to recommend this procedure. The full story is forthcoming biggrin.

Cheers,

Yuri

• Posted

Hi Yuri, Lovely to hear your experience on minimally invasive bunion surgery.   There has'nt really been any input on this at all on this forum so presume most peole  are having the archaic surgery!     I have a medium to large bunion on my right foot but because of all the terrible reports and some people having to have secondary operations it has really put me off.  I  I don't have any pain with mine just some numbness around the top of my toes and the big toe with bunion is pushing my second toe over now.     I am British but living in Australia, would love to know which country you are in and who did your operation.   Hoping to hear from you again soon.
    • Posted

Hi Yuri - It is really lovely to hear from you and your experience with minimally invasive bunion surgery - I have been on this site for a few m
    • Posted

Hi Yuri Please get back to forum as I am sure there are lots of people that will be waiting to hear your further reports on your progress with this procedure.    And let us know where and who did your operation.   All the best.      Pam
  • Posted

Hi Pam,

Sorry about several days of absence, was busy with other things - I'm working from home and had to deal with a few urgent projects and a conference deadline smile

I'm in Australia too, live in Canberra. My operation was done at Canberra Hospital by Dr. Gavel Kulisiewicz. It was done under Medicare, and I had to wait about two years since submitting the GP's referral letter. All other detais will be in my thread that I'm about to start now.

Cheers,

Yuri

• Posted

Many thanks Yuri for the info - look forward to hearing from you soon with as much info as you can give us.  Regards Pam
  • Posted

Hi Pam

i am in England and enquired about the minimally invasive surgery for my bunions on both feet.  I was told it is not suitable for everyone and in fact the surgeon I saw locally did not do it.  It turned out that I could not have the basic bunion surgery anyway - I had put off seeing anyone for far too long and had severe arthritis in both feet.  I would advise you to see a surgeon

sooner rather than later to see what surgery might be suitable for you.  I had big toe fusion on one foot and cheilectomy on the other and am making a good recovery five weeks post-op.  I have been wearing Velcro splints and the special shoes since 10 days post-op, which I am allowed to take off for showering.  My feet look pretty good and my only regret is not having it done sooner!

• Posted

Hi Gillian - Lovely to hear from you re: your experience.    Because of the severe arthritis in your feet, you mean you could'nt have the minimally invasive surgery with the pin.    Please keep us informed of your progress.   Where abouts in England did you have your operations?      I understand what you mean about the keyhole method not  being suitable for everyone if there is an underlying problem like yours.     Look forward to hearing from you again - hope your recovery goes smoothly.    Pam
  • Posted

Hello. From what I''ve read in my hours of boredom, that procdure isn't routinely done much in the US because there's a lot more risk for complications than the other so called "open" procedures. Here's an interesting article about it:  http://www.podiatrytoday.com/emerging-insights-minimally-invasive-hallux-valgus-correction

Hope this helps.

• Posted

That is very interesting Georgia, thanks.  Like Pam, I found it difficult to get much information on it but it turned out I would not have been suitable anyway. Have you been stuck indoors for a while or are you recovered and back at work now?

Gill

• Posted

Hi Gill Yes, cant drive because of the cast and it's my right foot. I did drive after the surgery in November.. My doctor said he wouldn't tell anyone that they couldnt drive or go back to work with the scarf procedure. In fact, I had the surgery on a Wednesday and went  back to work on Monday. Made it 3 hours and had to leave because my foot felt like it was going to explode (we all know that feeling). I work in retail so no sitting down for me. Anyway, with the fracture it's non weight bearing for 6 to 8 weeks so the earliest baclk I guess  could be 2/1 and the latest 2/15so we're getting there.
    • Posted

Wow you are brave Georgia to try to go back to work so soon, especially on your feet all day.  I work as a secretary but in a building with lots of stairs and no lifts. I've never really had any sick time so I am taking as much time as I need before I feel fit enough to go back. I was told minimum six weeks. I wish you a speedy recovery from the fracture, get plenty of rest and make the most of it, you'll be back at work before you know it! 

Gill

• Posted

Hi Pam

My surgeon does not perform the minimally invasive surgery at all. She told me she would be negligent if she performed the routine open bunion surgery on me though, as you say, due to the arthritis.  I had big toe arthrodesis on the worst affected foot (the right) which removes the arthritic component and pins the toe, and cheilectomy on the other, which is supposedly the lesser surgery but I had much more pain from it!  It has really not been too bad though, I have no pain now and I can walk ok.  Just can't wait to be able to take these Velcro splints off - I see my consultant in two weeks.  Hope you manage to find all the information you need. 

Gill

• Posted

Hi Gillian - Many thanks for the feedback - I understand what you mean about having the arthritis and it being quite a problem.     Are you in UK or Australia?       Please let us all know on the site of your progress.
  • Posted

Hi Pam, I had micro-invasive bunion surgery done 4 months ago in the UK, using the Bosch technique which uses no screws, just the wires. I had both feet done at the same time and walked out of the clinic on a pair of crutches (which I used for another day at home and maybe 3 days if going outside, just for security more than anything) and wearing the Darco velcro splints and a pair of normal sandals provided by the clinic. I followed the advice of the surgeon and kept my feet raised as much as I could, but bear in mind I have 2 very young children (3 & 1 yrs old). I also emigrated to Australia 7 weeks after the surgery, which was 3 weeks after having the wires out, so it was a busy time for me! I had no real pain and didn't need the strong painkillers provided. I just took the anti-inflammatories & paracetamol as directed, kept my feet raised, used cool gel packs in the evening and that was it. I wasn't able to drive but I could walk short distances within a week (like taking my daughter to nursery), again following the advice of the surgeon, by just walking on my heels/outside of my foot. I honestly had no problems at all and cannot recommend the technique and the clinic where I had it done enough. I couldn't find another surgeon or clinic that would use this technique, either in the UK or in Sydney. NHS & private surgeons in the UK all use older techniques. At best, they will do it through the smaller incision but the procedure they perform is still the old technique. I have a friend who had the old technique done on one foot. She wasn't able to weightbear on that foot for 6 weeks and experienced pain and problems in the foot for 2 years. She really regretted having it done and was very jealous of my experience, and the end result! As I was moving to Australia I did also search for clinics that used the Bosch technique here but found that no one did, it was all the old techniques. Also surgeons performing such operations in Sydney weren't even orthopaedic surgeons but podiatrists with some surgery training. So that was a definite no for me! I had mine done with the European Foot Institute. They work in the UK & Germany. You can find them on Facebook and see the work Dr Nowak has done which I found very reassuring prior to having it done myself. Another thing to note is the cost of this technique is dramatically less than the older techniques as the surgery is so much less invasive and lengthy, as is the rehab afterwards. Mine was actually covered by private health but I was willing to pay for it privately if I had to. The end result and the effect it's had on my life is invaluable!
    • Posted

Hi  Tam -   I really enjoyed reading of your experience with the Bosch technique and having such a wonderful outcome.    I am not in pain with my bunion, it is just getting so difficult to find shoes to fit now, I do have a bit of numbness in my toes on the bunion foot.    That's why I am just taking my time getting as much info on this as I can from other people that have had it done this way.     This is the way I may have to go eventually and go to the Uk to the European Foot Institute.    Where abouts in Australia are you?     I live in Perth.
    • Posted

Hi!!! I know this is a long time later to reply but I wanted to see if you had any update on how you are getting on post op. I have been researching all sorts of methods and am very interested in Dr nowak's work. Have you had any issues since? The wire was removed so there was no screws or anything left in your foot??

Did you under go the bilateral procedure under local and was it painful?

Hope your enjoying your new life in australia.

Many thanks for the info...

Caitriona

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.