Bell's Palsy - massage or not to massage

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi all i was diagnosed with bell palsy 9 days ago and just coming to end of 10 days 60mg prednisolone.

my face has had no improvement, i dont think its got worst but possibly feel like my mouth especially is kind of gtetting more used to going the wrong way.... perhaps muscles are tightening from no use.

I hear mixed messages about how much and when you can start excercising face.

im concerned mostly about mouth where there is is the worst paralysis. barely any movement bottom left. eating an apple is impossible unless sliced up!

i have had no pain really throughout. i wish i did have pain as maybe it would feel like it is alive and repairing!

so how much can i do? one thing i read was to massage and pull over the 'good side"

I'm considering acupuncture next week too! always been a sceptic of this but desparate to see something!!!

Thanks

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi grin, I was diagnosed 11 days ago, I did accupuncture Monday and Wednesday of this week. I think it helped my eye a lot, and my face feels less tight. I was also put on a methylprodesolone dose pack and antiviral meds. I started massaging last week maybe days 4&5 from what I had read, but stopped because my face became really sore to the touch. When I went to the acupuncturist she told me not to massage so I haven't. Hope this helps since I'm not far ahead from you.
    • Posted

Thanks Sandra!  yes sounds like you may be my BP buddy, a couple days ahead.

i will give the Acupuncture a go. how did you find one? im in london, there are loads but difficult to find one with BP experience for sure?

when you say it helps its juts felt less tight? have you seen any sign of movement yet? 

i know its still early....

• Posted

I'm in dallas, tx I did a lot of googling to find one with experience. Before I went, I was shutting my eye about 50% after the first I was about 75% and after my second session im6 about 90% . I'm not sure if I made my face extra tight from the massaging but it was really painful to even touch it. Now it just feels better when I touch it or open my mouth. Is not painful. I also started getting some tingling above my lip on the affected side and under my eye.
  • Posted

Never tried acupuncture but some people on this site have, you are in veryearly stage hopefully dosent last long, my tastebudswere non existent for weeks , readan chat with this site you will find possibly so e solutions an others that are and have experience this , wish u speedy recovery 
  • Posted

Place a hot towel on your face repeatedly throughout the day (if possible). Also massage that side of your face. When you start getting that piercing pain you'll know it's improving.
  • Posted

Hi grin,

I was diagnosed almost 2 months ago, and within about a month, I was 95% back to normal. I didn't have any noted improvement for at least the first two weeks. Honestly, it seemed to be getting worse. I had a lot of pain and decreased movement as the first couple weeks went on... And while the extreme soreness lasted into the third week, that's also when I started getting twitches... Twitches in my lip and chin... I did victory dances when I realized I had the SLIGHTEST movement in my eyebrow. Really not noticeable to anyone but myself. Then it very slowly started to get better... Then more and more movement. By the end of about 4 1/2 weeks, I was at the doctor's again for a follow-up and she could hardly believe I had Bell's Palsy in the first place.

My advice is start facial massages. Immediately. I honestly attribute them to such a speedy recovery (plus the prednisone). I didn't go the route of acupuncture, but from what I've read, a lot of people think it helped with their eye a lot. My eye wasn't too bad. I actually had pretty decent movement of my top lid, just not the bottom one.

There will be pain (ear pain on the affected side and lots of soreness that feels like bruising) is totally normal. Just rest as much as possible, don't stress, and remember that there is an end in sight. Most cases clear up in about a month. Just take it slow and easy, even if it feels like you aren't progressing. Work the muscles sporadically throughout the day. Don't do TOO much work, but just do a little here and there. Remind that side of your face that it has to work, but don't try to force any movements too much.

Good luck!!

• Posted

Erin you are absolutely right, the accupuncture has helped my eye, but that's about it as far as movement. Glad to read about the massages and soreness being totally normal, I backed off because the soreness scared me, I though I was doing more harm than good. I now have that excruciating pain behind my ear and is worst at night, definitely heat helps. Did you just massage your whole fave in general or did you do specific target areas?
  • Posted

Yes after reading all these systoms you all had guess I forgot I to had most of it but see Sandra time will also heal your memory of this horrible time , i too had that ear pain eye and brow not working my left side was swollen alot, no taste buds , that lasted weeks, could only have strong tasting stuff, like chocolate ice cream sherbert , spicy foods like hot wings just to get my taste buds to work ,if only a little, its a scary time but yes it does fad away as well as memory till I read others then I remeber what im thankful to forget. Best of luck hope you all heal up quick, this site is wonderful . God bless
  • Posted

Did the acupuncture help?  I hear mixed reviews on this.
  • Posted

I developed bilateral Bell's Palsy in mid January. This is very rare. It has been a slow recovery, but I am pleased with the progress. I started physical therapy & acupuncture after two months. The results are amazing. My smile is almost back to normal and my eye is almost fully closing. My speech seems to be getting worse.
    • Posted

It sounds like you are recovering nicely.  Do you remember what may have triggered bilateral palsy?  I have not heard of that before.  My BP was triggered by a strong cold wind that caused ear pain. 
  • Posted

I was in the hospital for 3 days of testing, but there was no evidence of what caused my bilateral palsy. I was shocked to hear that a strong wind caused yours, Sharon. Has anyone else had trouble with their speech that seems to be getting worse, rather than better?
    • Posted

Wind, fans, open windows,  my dad and brother both from riding in the back of a pickup, not together but different times and years.  My BP is over 2 years old and people do have trouble understanding me.
    • Posted

I have trouble with words that require having your lips closed before pronouncing- b,p,m f. I was told to practice by holding my lips closed at 

first. I just started yesterday and am hopeful it works. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.