Diltiazem Hydochloride (HCL) anyone using this or ever tried it ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Does anyone have any experience in treating AF with  Diltiazem Hydochloride ?  I just began using this ointment a couple of days ago and it's been prescribed for 60 days.  Evidently it calms the spasms and encourages blood circulation in anal canal helping with healing the fissure. 

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi there I have used this last year on my af I did find it helped for a short while I had Botox after as the cream wasn't enough but unfortunately the Botox failed and I had to have my muscle cut in the end which was a massive success and touch wood I am finally pain free since!!😊 Keep going I know how bad it can get but there is always something
    • Posted

Hi Kristan- thank you for responding. How long ago was your surgery ? Im dealing with probably my 4th or 5th episode of a fissure. The 1st 2 or 3 times it resolved on its own in just a few days. But more recently I don't seem to be healing well. I'm meeting with a surgeon in 2 1/2 weeks. Do you feel in any way limited post surgery ? Do you mind if I ask you your age ? I'm 42. Thanks again

Josh

• Posted

My surgery was last October I feel I was lucky that I only suffered for 6 months but it was the most terrible time I've never had pain like it and I've had pain in my life. The surgery was fine I'm so glad it was done apart from the initial pain from the op and going to the loo because of stitches down there the fissure pain went straight away was the best thing ever! I'm 35 no probs any more questions feel free to ask.
    • Posted

Thank you Kristan.  So your surgery was October 2014 or 2015 ?  I think I read somewhere it was over a year ago.  I concur its the worst pain I've ever dealth with as well.  Did your Doctor only disect your muscle or did he or she also repair your Fissure at the same time ?   How long before you were able to exercise or be at a normal activity level like going back to work ? etc.  How did you select your surgeon ? Do you recall  how many LIS preocedures your surgeon had done prior ?   I'm not sure what's in store for me but I understand that the procedure has roughly a 90% success rate and it may be my only chance at getting some semblance of my life back.  I sincerely appreciate you taking time to enlighten me on this painful topic and share your experience.  It means a great deal to me that you care enough to share.  Josh
    • Posted

No probs my surgery was oct last year 2015 yeah just did the muscle he said the fissure would heal it self and it has so I'm forever grateful to him! I do believe he saved my life sounds dramatic but I had gone to a dark place being in pain all the time not good at all! I could drive the day after but wasn't very comfy so left it a few days I went back to the gym after a week and half but think he said I could of gone back quicker so it's each to their own! I had a week off work which seemed fine for me. I'm not sure how many he had done but it was at a private hospital but luckily I was NHS I'm not sure where you are but I'm in the uk. I do believe it is the best solution for this problem as I had literally tried everything the doctors were running out of what to suggest because I'm a woman and had children I was more at risk of this not working but it's been 100% fantastic!! Go for it!!
    • Posted

I hope and pray you're healed forever Kristan.   I think a successful surgery calls for drama.  It is life saving ! smile  So far I have essentially suffered for 2 months.   I live in the US on the west coast.  State of Oregon. Not far form Portland or Seattle, WA. It's  Sunday morning 11:34AM  Pacific Coast Time right now.    It will definitley be a private hospital for me.

Beside the pain generally my frustration is my lower level of activity I want to be able to be as active with  my 5 year old boy as I've always been before and not thinking about my next bathroom trip. I've lost 15 pounds because of the strict diet but I'm not as active as prior and this is very hard on me.     We also have a trip planned to Italy in July and I'm reluctant to fully commit given my condition.  I basically feel like so much of my life is on hold.  Thank you for the encouragement Kristan.  I'll keep you posted on what transpires.  Take care, Josh

• Posted

Ha it's Sunday evening 19.45 here! I wish you lots of luck! I hope you have a successful op like me! Fingers crossed it happens quick! I know what you mean I lost lots of weight aswell but it was in the end me not eating for a month just drinking unfortunately the doctors didn't care so it sent me into a depression but thank god the surgeon was a lovely man and heard my desperation and within 2 days he did my surgery! Yes keep me updated fingers crossed take care!
    • Posted

Hello Kristan- I'm now scheduled for surgery the 1st week of March. I was good for about 2 weeks and then re tore the partially healed fissure about 5 a days ago. Any advice about peparation or recovery / after care you could share with me ? I'm nervous but also convinced this my best option. Thank you

Josh

• Posted

Hi josh that's great news for your surgery good luck I know definitely for me it was the only option left yes it was scary to think what they were doing but it was worth all the uncomfortableness. Can't really say how to prepare before but after just make sure you keep your stools really soft for a good few days after the first poo will always be the scariest but after that you know what to deal with but make sure you don't strain hence keeping you poo really soft!! Also I had a stool under my feet for a while and that helped ease my poo out easier! They also told me rather than wiping after a bm I had to wash away with the shower it was a bit inconvenient but I can see why they want it done! Keeps it all clean and helps with the stitches.

Wish you lots of luck hope all goes to plan 👍🏻

• Posted

Hi Kristan- thanks for the post op advice.

You probably don't have much hair in that region but do you remember ? Did they shave you prior to the operation ? Did you do an Enema prior ? My Doc has said I won't need the enema to but I'm going to double check anyhow. How are you doing these days ? Are you on a very strict diet now ? Aren't you about 5 months post -op ? Thanks again for being so helpful. 10:02AM Super Bowl Sunday February 7th. Signing off. Josh

• Posted

Ha no not much hair there but no didn't shave and they didn't do it either! Also no emema either! Also I did at first have a full fiber diet for a month or two but not so much now !! Probably 6 weeks after I was pain free and touch wood I have absolutely nothing no pain or even a twinge!! The best op ever!! No probs at all for the advice glad to offer it!! Let me know how u get on!! 😁
    • Posted

Hi Kristan-    Would you mind sharing your favorite methods for keeping poo realy soft ? I think I have bought everything the stores and pharmacies sell but have yet to settle on the best strategy.  I'm mostly just eating a lot of fruits and vegetables , metamucil in the morning and  a stool softner at night before bed.  I think the step stool is somewhat helpful as well.  Also .. were you under general anesthetic for your surgery ? Did you or do you have any skin tags to contend with ?  I hope you're well.  Thanks again.
    • Posted

Hi I had so much fruit but lots and lots of fibre is best I had fiber tablets and food with a high fiber content then I was taking movicol every day and taking a stool softener aswell. I still use the stool now as it still helps me! I'm in the uk so it was a private hospital here. No I haven't any skin tags. Thank u I'm well hope u will b sorted soon then it will b a distant memory 👍🏻
    • Posted

Hi Kristan- My surgery was March 4th, Friday, 2 days ago in the morning and so far so good.

1st bowel movements were a little rough but not too bad. Just a stinging sensation that only lasted about 15 minutes. Turns out I didn't have a skin tag. He found a benign polyp and removed it. If it wasn't for that I would have any stitches at all. I can barely see the incision line and it wasn't even stitched. I don't have any pain from the incision and have not noticed any fissure spasms thank you God. I don't think I would feel any pain if the polyp want removed and stitched. Thanks for all of your help and I hope you are still doing great. Cheers!!!

• Posted

Well I'm so happy for u that's fab news!! Can only get better just keep up with high fiber and u will do fab! 👍🏻 thanks for letting me know. I'm still doing fab thanks! Take care!
    • Posted

Hi Kristan- Quick update. I'm roughly 8 weeks post op and really feeling great. Now if I could only keep the weight off I've lost. smile Rarely feel even a twinge anymore. Back to work pretty much full time at 3 weeks. Now doing every activity I was doing prior to my fissure nightmare occurring. I hope you are well.

Josh

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.