I think I am addicted to sugar. Is this bad?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I'm 15 and I really eat a lot of choclate and sugary foods (I have been for about 1-2 years) . I work out and study quite a lot so I lose a lot of the glucose I get from it, but recently (last month) I have been getting very thirsty very fast, I drink almost 1 liter of water during my 2 hour workout time! And each night I bring a mug of water and drink it throughout the night (I wake up thirsty, drink some water, then sleep again). 

I've been told excessive sugar use leads to constant dehydration, which makes the body start using the fluids in your cells, dehydrating them, I've noticed this in my eyes, they seem to have gotten smaller! Three days ago when I realized this , I immidientally stopped eating any kind of sugar (I only use 1-2 teaspoons of sugar in my tea daily, and sometimes from coca cola). I don't know if I'm over reacting or if this is something I should seriously be worried about. I'm currently planning on not using sugar until my thirst for water goes back to normal.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

You wouldn't have written this if you didn't already instinctively know that the amounts of sugar you are eating are harmful to you.  Cocoa and sugar are very additive but you just have to choose to eat other foods and limit chocolate and sweet things.  It really is not difficult if you make up your mind  to do this.dont beat yourself up if you slip just put it in the past and start afresh.  Well done for listening to your body.
  • Posted

If your thirst and peeing a lot does not sort itself out by cutting down on sugar, in. The near future please get a blood test done. There is a very slight possibility you may have diabetes.
    • Posted

I have thought of that, but I urinate fine, its not excessive. 

I actually have what some people might call a "urinating scheduel", I always urinate once every day in the morning before going out. That has not changed and its the same as before.

• Posted

I really think you must see a doctor. I experienced the symptoms you experienced, especially the unquenchable thirst - you lick your lips constantly - and I have diabetes, so I would definitely check it out. You need medical help and medicine to manage anything the best and to limit potential problems in future.
  • Posted

Sugar is not a good thing to have a lot of. History show us that Big D became prevelant when we started living in cities and did not grow our own food.  I would suggest you start reading the values of everything you eat. If I remember right a normal person can have 2000mg of sugar a day.  I have a lot closer to ZERO. I am insulin dependant and have to keep track of everything I do now. I used to drink several sodas a day, every day especially when I was at work.

There is a lot more sugar in what you eat than you might realize. My dad loved Corn Flakes, the Dr said nothing with sugar in the first 6 ingrediants.  Sugar was third on the corn flakes box. 

Go to your Dr and have them do an blood test for sugar. Consult with medical professionals.

Good luck,

Alan

Tucson Arizona

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.