Important new research results on statins - please read

Posted , 6 users are following.

I urge everyone to read an article which appeared in the Express online re an Expert Review of Clinical Pharmacology which gives very important information regarding how statins can actually CAUSE heart failure rather than prevent it.  Statins accelerate hardening of the arteries and can cause or hasten heart failure.  They increase the calcium deposits in the arteries.  They block a molecule needed to produce Vitamin K which prevents calcification.  The research was undertaken independently (most important!) and goes on to say that earlier studies were mostly industry funded or are flawed/unreliable.  Please read the article and 'spread the word' - you could save a life.

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

That's VERY interesting!  Could you please give me some more info to enable me to locate it?  Is the Express online a UK newspaper?   I can't find anything under that via Google
    • Posted

I doubt I can put the link on here Jude, the moderators would probably remove my post.  The Express is a UK newspaper and they have an online facility.  If you google the article is headed up 'statins can cause heart attacks' with sub text about hardening of the arteries.  There are references to a variety of eminent professionals commenting on statin damage and the latest research by Professor Harumi Okuyama, whose team studied a series of more than 20 major research papers on the drugs, which says they could cause heart disease.
    • Posted

I tried replying but it got 'moderated' sad

• Posted

My opinion is all information must be taken under careful consideration.

I am not familiar with the Expert Review which is mentioned but two statements in the article come to the fore.

"A spokesman for the MHRA, the Government drug regulator, said: “The benefits of statins are well established and are considered to outweigh the risk of side effects in the majority of patients. "Any new significant information on the efficacy of statins will be carefully reviewed and action be taken if required"

and

"Oxford professor Sir Rory Collins has warned that overstating concerns about statins could “cause very large numbers of unnecessary deaths from heart attacks and stroke”.

People should discuss their concerns with their own physicians before deciding to stop taken statins.

• Posted

That's the whole crux of the problem lill - we DO try to discuss our concerns with our doctors and in a majority of cases, they blatantly refuse to accept what their patient is telling them.  If they accepted that statins DO cause serious health issues in some people, those people could make an educated and informed decision and in some cases may well decide the benefits outweigh the risks.  The issue is, we are not allowed to make informed decisions regarding our own health and are ignored or even derided for raising concerns.
    • Posted

I appreciate what  you are saying..in part it depends on the physician I think....some are more willing than others to discuss concerns.

Empirical evidance does matter to scientifically based professions and that evidence is used to base recommended treatments on..but really, it will take years I think to fully understand what it all means after people have been taking them

I agree not all medications suit all people. What I think they are saying is for most of the population, the benefits outway the risks.

Some people have dangerously elevated cholesterol and triglyceride levels, some have secondary chronic illnesses that contribute to heart disease and earlier deaths such as diabetes etc. where any reductions in levels would mean a substantial percentage of reduced risks.'

As long as people are fully informed, be it via the doctors or pharmacists or via a health professional then they certainly have a right to make their own decisions..nobody can be forced to do things they do not wish.

Pharmacists are the real experts when it comes to medication...

Would not llike to see people stopping medication based on one single article or one single opinion as some would. But everyone certainly should be informed of all considerations in deciding what they should do.

• Posted

Thankyou for posting this. I have a feeling in a few years more and more truth will be exposed as more and more people are unfortunately prescibed these and the evidence mounts as more have bad reactions to it.
  • Posted

I have read the article, thanks Loxie. I've also got my copy of Statins 11 now, really interesting DVD. If you haven't visited the Statin nation web site, you might find it really interesting.
  • Posted

Thank you so much for that Loxie. That article should be read by anyone using statins - all the millions of them, many of whom are undoubtedly being set up for a future of terrible complications.

My father had heart problems - it is an inherited condition in our family - and was fed statins like lollies. He suffered hardened arteries as a result, had several stents until doctors could no longer operate because his ateries would just split like an old hose. He did, however, live to nearly 90.

I am relieved to be rid of statins and consider myself lucky to have taken them for just 2 years. Doctors insistence on their usage to all and sundry makes me very suspicious of their motives.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.