I have been having neck pain for about 3 months

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been having neck pain for about 3 months. It started in the back muscle going into the bottom of my head making my ear feel tight and feeling like a pinch in my eye. It hurts when I move side to side or up and down. I sit at a desk all day on my computer leaning forward and am on the phone all the time at work. Has anyone experienced this. It is driving me crazy. I have been to the doctor and he gave me a muscle relaxer but that didn't really help. I put heat and rub cream on it. Had xrays and doctor says I have degenerative disc between c5 and c6 and cy and c7. I never had this before and can't imagine that my neck can cause all this

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, I have the same problem exept I also have nerve compression at c4 & c8 & slipped disks at c3/ c7along with bone spurs , which are arthritic changes in my neck.it's a painful condition Maybe ask to be referred to physio therapy it helps some people. My Dr does acupuncture at my surgery & I take regular medication. First thing I would ask for an mri scan to look for any compressed nerves or damaged disks . I hope you can get to the bottom of your pain if you decide your pain is worsening or too painful go back to your gp for evaluation & painkillers. Hope everything works out for you . If you need to ask me anything don't hesitate to message me. Kind regards Katie x
    • Posted

Thank you so much for answering me. I have been driving myself crazy with this. I read my xrays a little with my doctor and did something on there referring to spur.  I sit and worry why is it affecting my ear and eye and head. I sometimes feel like I concentrate on it and make it worse. Thank you again, I'm sorry you have pain also but it helps to know you are not alone
    • Posted

Yes because neck is so intricate there is alot going on in the neck to cause pain. I at the moment iam waiting to see a specailst in pain management at my local hospital. I'm waiting for cervical facet joint injections but I really am terrified that it could make my symptoms worse. Also maybe trying differant or stronger medication that a gp can't prescribe. Lots of hugs I do sympathise x
    • Posted

Hi Katie

I feel for you too. I would be afraid that it would make it worst too. I hate having to take any medication which is one of my problems. I wait until it is unbearable and suffer because of it. Keep me posted on your progress.

• Posted

Yes I will keep you updated, do you live in the UK? I do I live in Wales. I have been battling not taking medication for years but iv had to give in as the pain is that severe now. I v tried the regular paracetamol , ibuprofen, diclofenac, naproxen, the naproxen affected my stomach so I had to stop it. Iv also tried anticonvulsant medication such as pregabalin, gabapentin which made me quite bad with the side effects, also more recently iv tried amitryptililne & tramadol which also didn't suit me. Now I take nortrypyiline 20mg at night regular paracetamol , turmeric & ginger capsules for inflammation which iv only been taking for around 5 days I hope it helps & dihydrocodine as an opiate medication I find the mixture of med's help me a little but I'm always in some degree of pain. I have 3 children so I find it difficult to get any me time to rest so gotta keep going I also have a part time job as a sales assistant which is tough on my arm with the refered pains down my arm I still look for an alternative to all this medicine I take but sadly I haven't come across anything yet. I do wish you the very best. It's tough sometimes you just have to battle on. 😊 easier said than done I know xx
    • Posted

I am in the us. A lot of those meds have the side effects but I'm with you when you have to try something to have a normal life and be able to function. I take natural supplements too. Plexus which is a health and wellness company has a vitamin xfactor that has tumeric and ginger in it also. Unfortunately it isn't sold in the UK, just the us, Australia and new Zealand.
  • Posted

Hi suegfly

Unfortunately, I have the same problem. C1-C7 have arthritus, nerve compression and degenerative disc's, infact most of my spine is like this, but its the neck area that gives me problems.

To help, I have a special pillow that my physio recommended to me, sometimes it works sometimes it does not. Generally, most of my pain comes in the morning when I have woken up. I have tried most painkillers and found that, for me at least, Ibropufen helps alot for the neck pain and Paracetamol for the headaches that it causes. I also wrap a hot-water bottle in a tea towel and put that on my neck, its quite bliss when I do that.

I feel for you, and I hope you find something that can help you.

All the best.

Kev (UK)  sad

• Posted

Hey Kevin,

Thanks for your reply. I have tried all of the above also. The ibuprofen does help my neck but when I take too many consistently it starts to bother my stomach. It def can make your life miserable.

• Posted

Hi Sue

That is a problem with Ibuprofen, it can irratate the lining of your stomach. Maybe speaking to your Pharmist/Chemist might help to see is there is an over-the-counter painkiller that has the same properties as Ibuprofen but without the long term problems you get with it.

Chin up and keep smiling  cheesygrin

Hopfully soon you will have more good days than bad.

All the best

Kev  (UK)  lol

• Posted

Thanks Kevin. The funny thing is it never bothered me before but then again I never really took them in a daily basis like now. I hope I get sine good daya
    • Posted

Hi Sue

That's the problem with these sort of painkillers. Unfortunately, they are not meant to be taken on a long term basis. Generally, it takes a while before you start getting the symptoms of pain in your stomach.

I need them, so my doctor as prescribed  'Lansoprazole' this is for Gastro problems, which Ibuprofen causes. Very good product.

All the best and thinking of you.

Kev  (UK)  lol

• Posted

Hey Kevin

I totally understand that. Holding to get passed this with not too much meds. I hate taking anything and usually suffer because of it

• Posted

dont get surprised. Cervical neck pain tha may require surgey could get worse after surgery. At 36 I have had 2 cervical fusions. Currentlly C4 thru C7 and the slast surgery ack in may of 2014 has the sergeon worried. it seem that thc6c7 level has never taken to the proceedure and could have a thir surgery to repair it. And recently my meds were changed to 60 mophine pills a month and 90 oxycodone. plus I alreat take 4mg xanax a day as well. Since mat 17 2012 when I had the firs procedure I was ale to work four around 6 mnths in 2013. The state removed my DL ecause of thr Mes I take. It would e concidered the same as if I was Drinking and driving . Scipt meds is the sam DUI as whiskey and driving. As for your muscle spasms I hope that flexareal work ecaus as for me Some is the only thing that does. however pain mngt, clinics and doctors every where are not perscring them at all ecause the oxxy and morphine despite the high opiod tolerace as well as the same with some. ut to many people a died with that como and esause a unch of idiots that cant follow the instructions we all will suffer. Multale fusion surgerys are long in recovery and lfe alterign. Like driving down the road and checking the lindspot before you change lanes, thets just say find and stay in the lane your going to nne. trust me u will look and you will e in pain . got kids or small nephews and such. wrestling around and picking them up for a hug, one for. The surgery will not stop the pain meds either. life long. I do hope if surgery is needed they know where to work without making you have a discoghram. I woul not wish that on an enemy. goo luck. some do find a it of relief after 3 of 4 level fusion. hope you are one. ut if you didnt win the last 800mill lottery close to the same chance. sorry I dont have sunshine for you uy its not my nature to lie. als forever you will have people who cant uderstant the chronic pain and may look down at you for expressing the pain or think your a pill head when you open your purse to pay the check and theres three of four scipts there. also at home get a goo lock ox for your scripts. tons of closet pill junkies out there and some could even e freinds or family. their the type that make it tough on the ones who realy need it and they will steal from you. good luck and godspeed

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.