Gabapentin

Posted , 4 users are following.

just started gabapentin for nerve pain 5 days ago. Have a disk pressing on nerve causing wicked pins and needles in my leg.  Am not feeling any relief yet. Can you have a glass or two of wine while on this medicine?  I can't imagine giving that up forever.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

What dose are you on ? Does take awhile too kick in for full effect are you on any other drugs ? Yes I drink the odd glass of brandy whiskey but i don't go over the top with

I take gababpentin 3 X 9 a day high dose plus 2 tramadol I have peripheral neuropathy in feet like you tingling and numbness in feet toes

• Posted

Hi,

When I was taking it , once settled on it, and I took a total dose of 1800mg a day, I had the occasioanla drink. I didn't go mad, but I didn't have a problem with a couple of glasses of wine. I have been teetotal for over 5 years now, but that was due to the fact that I live on slow release morphine which I sometimes have to top up becuase of pain ( lower back pain and nerve pain down legs and in hips)...I got to the point where I had to choose, and the pain got so bad I made the decision I needed the pain relief. Just remember everyone if different, diff. reasons for being on it and diff tolerability to the medication, .

• Posted

Hi Liz,

I like the wine too. It relaxes me. They always say not to drink any alcohol while on pain meds but if you are at home and have someone you trust with you, then try a glass. Do not drive whatever you do as mixing will make you even more drowsy. You will probaly just drift off to sleep, but you may wake up extra thirsty. Beware of the gabapentin though. I gained a ton of weight on it and the longer you take it, the harder it is to get off of it, plus the side effects are awful. I am glad to be off of it but for 2'3 weeks I felt horrible until i got it out of my system . Good luck with it, although I encourage you to research alternatives like physical therapy, excercise, etc instead if you can bear that. Had I known what the gabapentin would do to me, I never would have taken it. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.