Migraines due to weather changes?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Anyone else get bad migraines like me due to weather changes? I know it sounds odd but it seems like I can tell when it's going to storm or snow because I get the most horrible migraines. Also when it's that time of the month for ladies I get them right before it.

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Funny you should ask about weather as a trigger for a migraine.  The barometric pressure is my main trigger.  We have a barometric gauge in our den and when it colored water gets to the top, o can rest assured that my migraine will. Be worse.  Since I have daily chronic headaches the weather just makes it worse.  I am not sure why the weather is such a trigger for many people, but it seems to be.  I do not have migraines due to hormone levels changing around a monthly period since I am 69, but again hormonal changes can be a key trigger for many.  To you I would say to keep a journal of how you are feeling and when the weather change happens. This may help in avoiding such a bad migraine.
    • Posted

I definitely am getting one of those barometric gauges then Lol! My migraines seem worse in the winter when it's snowing vs regular rain/storms. So strange but it makes me hate snow and rain even more. I need to do the diary thing, I keep putting it off bc I never feel good and forget ab doing it. Ill try to do it though..😄

Thanks for your reply

Amanda

• Posted

Hi Againes,

Firstly my migraines do depend on the weather and wether i do a lot of work on the computer at work as well, i have to break up my screen time with other work.

Yes i too also suffer from migraines before that time of the month, the joys of being female! i dont always get them right before normally a day or so before like a warning!

I have been given numerous medications for the migraines, however i have had to leave work due to them and sleep it off. sometimes my painkillers do not kick in before it reaches the really bad stage.

Hope this helps.

What do you take if anything?

i have tried ibuprofen 400mg

meloxicam - did nothing

I find co-codamol is the best for me

• Posted

Hi, yes the weather thing is horrible with my migraines. Its worse in the winter for me vs rain/storms. I've tried several and can't remember them all but what I'm on now is..200mg topamax, noratriptilyne, imatrex, sumatripatine self injections, a diuretic during my monthly cycle (something new to see if it will help with migraines) and now a muscle relaxer for my neck..that's where the migraines start. They start in the back of my head at the base of my neck and travel up, my face and inside of my mouth goes completely numb and so does my arms, I get weak and tired and have a hard time focusing. The medicine my neuro has me on now is starting to help..thank goodness.

As they say its just a matter of trial and error Lol.

• Posted

I get it up my jaw into my temple and my neck as well,

isn't Life grand?  Lol

• Posted

Gosh sounds awful, i tend to get them across my eyes and at the sides of my head, i went to bed last night eith the start of one. luckily the sleep stopped it in its tracks, also took 600mg ibuprofen (thats on prescription) these are a new one and so far they seem to work a treat for me.
  • Posted

I never had any relief until I used a triptan. Or naratriptan in particular. I was reading this post to see the mechanism of action and why it works for me.

Somehow it contracts blood vessels in brain that send pain signals so we actually don't feel the pain because it stops signals. Also raises some chemicals that halp with pain? If I am correct in my reading.

Worth a try as I had the migraines triggered by hormones as well as weather and also other triggers. Good luck!

• Posted

I get terrible weather related migraines.  and yes, I can tell when the weather is changing.  not in your head, well, you know what I mean, Lol

Even when it's cloudy, my head and my eyes don't work right.

I take a triptan,  Zomig or Relpax.  usually works.

Hope this helps  p.s.  living near great lakes is where weather changes quite a bit.  my friend moved to Arizona to have a steady climate.  helped.

• Posted

I live right on a lake well less than 50 feet from it! Thats prob why like you said my migraines are so bad when weather changes.
    • Posted

Hello

it appears that sometimes my migraines are related to barometric changes as well.  I feel eye pressure (first sign) then sinus then head.  I keep thinking that maybe a sinus medication would ease the pressure and symptoms so it won't go into migraine or have to take Rizatriptan and go to bed!

Any thoughts or recommendations.? Afraid to try as don't want to make head issue worse!  Just had migraine yesterday kept me in bed but did not get sick.  Temperature got into the teens....sometimes I'm affected sometimes not.

a friend gave me Relpax to try. Does it work well?  Is it better than Rizatriptan?

thank you

Wendy

• Posted

Hi Wendy,

I take Montelklast, I think that's how it's spelled..it's some sort of allergy pill. I don't think it's hurting anything anyways. I've never used relax. But I use Rizatriptan (I think it's the same thing as imitrex ) and it works pretty good. It's been very snowy here and my migraines have been horrible..wish there was some miracle.

• Posted

Hello Againes

You must live in the US?  We are in Virginia and had snow most of the day.  My migraines were over the weekend when temperatures dropped....I seem to be okay when it snows....I guess its barometer change for me to get migraines.......yes a miracle would be wonderful.  I was getting them so bad that I would get sick and so weak that my husband had to take me to the ER for them to give me pain killers nausea meds in IV.  Now I just take the Rizatriptan ODT and a nausea medication that helps me sleep.  Do you have to lay down after taking Rizatriptan or will migraine  just go away and you can function? I use to take Montelklast when I broke out in hives.  Does it help with migraines?

I hope the weather gets better where you are and you are migraine free!

Wendy

• Posted

Yes I live in Kentucky lol and it was horrible all weekend here. I had a bad migraine all weekend. It's like I'll get one that may last all day but then the next day is left over headaches. Kinda like still being sore after having a Charlie horse. In my early 20s I used to get sick with migraines but I don't anymore. Now I just have a lot of pain, tunnel vision, and sound sensitivity. The Montelklast is mainly for my copd. I don't know if it really helps with my migraines or not. After I take Rizatriptan I can't drive and I'm very very sleepy but if I'm at work I can work I'm just very slow at everything. I think everyone can tell when I have taken it. I have FMLA for my migraines..I only get 9 Rizatriptan pills a month thru my insurance. I'm considering that ear piercing I think it's called faith piercing or something. It's supposed to possibly help with migraines.
    • Posted

Hi Againes

What is FMLA?  I was also limited to only 9 Rizatriptan a month until I found out recently that if I order through Home Delivery through insurance I will be able to get atleast 20 per month and they will send a 3 month supply.  My doctor needed to call into our insurance the prescription for 20 a month and get prior authorization. My first order is being mailed now...so relieved as I only have the one left.  Stressful when you are limited to only 9 and you need more for these migraines if you have a bad month.  You may want to call your insurance and ask about the home delivery. Have not heard about the ear piercing.....interesting.  My ears are already pierced but rarely wear earrings these days.  I know what you mean about the day after migraine and the headache felt.....head feels sore.  It usually takes a day or so to feel good again.  Thank you for sharing.....

Weather here today is yucky......rain after snow from yesterday.......thankfully not affecting me!  Have a nice day!

Wendy

• Posted

I am not sure if this helps .

I have had migraines since I was 15. Now 52. Had car accident. Lost front teeth. They chalked it up to neck injury.

Then they came with period or ovulation,stress, too much caffiene, lack of sleep...you name it. I never could work a regular job or finish studies.

Tried all meds and never could really get a handle on a preventative.

I did not get them when pregnant, so now it was attributed to hormones...

Fast forward past kids (4) and still headaches ...getting worse. Had cysts and bladder issues and heavy periods. Git hysterectomy in 2013. No change whatsoever to migraines...

Was diagnosed with Lyme disease after so much joint pain I couldn't walk and every day headaches that year. Did full treatment for 5 months. No change in headaches although I can walk now.lol

So my gall bladder failed as a result of antibiotic IV for Lyme's and I had it removed.

July of 2015 . it is safe to say as it has been over 6 months. NO HEADACHES EVER. yay!

The surgeon said there is no correlation

Hmmm....

• Posted

Wendy that's great to hear about the home delivery with your prescription! That's a big stress reliever, I know smile FMLA is something I can use at work to leave work or call in and not get an occurrence for it. It's basically to keep my job safe. I've only used it 5 times in the past 6 months so I'm doing pretty good with it. Makes me feel bad when I know people are laughing at why I would need to leave for a "headache". People that have never experienced a migraine have no clue the pain we go through. I'm at a breaking point where I feel like giving up sometimes when my migraines get real bad and I feel like the only way to make them go away is to just end it all. I would NEVER do anything but I can't say that in that moment it's not crossed my mind. I'm happy to say that after having a nonstop migraine all week I have finally after over a year switch neurologist and I'm going to see someone else smile I feel like there's some light at the end of my tunnel!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.