Something to try, hope it helps.

Posted , 5 users are following.

This regimine may help someone, certainly it can't make it any worse anyway.

I was diagnosed with Urticaria a couple of months ago, it is now completely gone so perhaps my regimen may help someone.   I tried many treatments, saline, vinegar, calimine, animine, steroid creams, epsom salts, sorbolene, pinetarsal, goat soap, four different steroid creams (all of which made the urticaria worse) along with a few other treatments I can't remember at the moment.   A strong saline solution applied each morning followed by the application of sorbolene was the only treatment that relieved the itch and allowed me at least a couple of hours sleep at night; however, it did not cure the urticaria.   I started on pinetarsal and ultraviolet treatment three times per week, about 6-8 weeks after deleting coversyl (BP medication) and Lipitor (statin) and within a few days the urticaria had gone, not sure which one worked or if it was the combination but it has certainly worked wonders.  I've been free of the welts and itch for about a month now, so very, very happy.   During the same period I was also taking Loritidine but I don't think that had any effect at all. Hopefully this may help someone.   Good luck!  

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Blood pressure medication is one of the medications known to cause urticaria, hopefully you've done this under the supervision of your GP? I assume by deleting it you mean you've stopped taking it?
  • Posted

Hi tony, where does all this medication come from and who presribes the regime?

Here is my experience of urticaria and my own regime which seems to be working:-

Started with breakout of hives on the soft skin underneath arms area around mid August this year. This eventually spread to torso and legs. There seemed to be a trigger of heat, stress and exercise - especially exercise. A dermatologist diagnosed with urticaria the type people get with excercise. Since August I have only really managed the rash with piriton at night and mini piriton in the day so as not to feel drowsy for work. I was prescribed fexofenadine but this caused immediate massive reaction of urticaria so stopped taking it. I was also prescribed a regime of regular exercise, so I carried on running regularly and taking piriton to manage hives and itch. I've noticed massive improvement and reduction in urticaria -especially post excercise. It seems to be burning itself out just as the doctor said it would.

Not saying that this will work for everyone but may be worth a try. It's been 5 horrible months but at last I'm starting to see it improve and notice it less and less and have full days where I havn't had any hives appear.

Good luck to everyone in their quest for recovery from this awful condition.

• Posted

No, I didn't say I stopped taking BP medication, Isaid I stopped taking coversyl. There are many BP medications, coversyl being but one.As I said 'coversyl 'may' have been one of the problems, take that as you like. That aside, you do know what they say about 'assume'.
  • Posted

seems most medications do not help chronic hives. I am thinking mine are from some bacteria or virus in the skin itself and would like my doctor to do a scraping to identify it. Mine got worse after a round of antibiotics so my current efforts are on skin scrubbing with medical grade soap and baking soda scrub, rinsed and followed with witch hazel compresses. I also am taking probiotics and drink Kefir. the washing and witch hazel stops them within minutes which seems to me a skin infection. Cannot believe this common problem is still thought to be an allergy in all cases. The body is always on side of survival so hives are reaction to something noxious on the skin or in our system?
  • Posted

My Dermatologist took a biopsy of the worst affected area and based on that advised me it was coming from within, most likely medications I was taking at the time.   I was on prednisone (still am) at the time but the Dermatologist scoffed at my suggestion the prednosone could partly be the cause.   I still maintain that the prednisone was having some input based on the fact that the steroid creams he prescribed  actually made the urticaria worse, when I stopped using them the urticaria improved a little.   I don't think a scraping will get to the bottom of the problem, only a biopsy will.   Having said that I think my problem was not simply the meds I think the cause was many fold.    Looking back now it must have seemed quite comical watching me smear trying to smear all sorts of different concoctions over affected areas with hands that refuse to function, pulling faces and groaning with pain.    So glad I'm free of urticaria at last, what a terrible, uncomfortable time, now if they could just find a cure for RA I'd be over the moon. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.