Really bad cough and white phlegm

Posted , 5 users are following.

My husband has been on Ramipril for 7 years for high blood pressure. Last year he developed a cough which at times is quite bad, with wheezing, shortness of breath and white phlegm. He did also start taking Simvastin last year too. He keeps going back to the doctor who prescribes antibiotics which don't cure it and has had a chest X-ray last week which was clear. Does anyone else have similar?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

That sounds more like a reaction to the Simvastin. All those AB's are not doing him any good either! I would have thought your GP would have had more sense than to keep prescribing them.

AB's destroy the delicate balance of 'gut flora' that do SO much to keep us. Healthy. If you have to take AB's the take a live yoghurt too.

• Posted

Thankyou so much for your response- very helpful. Will definitely get him some live yogurt.
  • Posted

This is an absolutely classic side effect of Ramipril.  My husband has exactly the same, he is currently making huge efforts in lifestyle changes in an attempt to get off this medication.  There are loads of accounts on this forum of exactly the symptoms you describe, read some of the past discussions.  

Statins also have severe side effects for many, but generally they are different, muscle, joint pain, cognitive problems, as well as the well documented liver problems.  We both refuse to take statins and follow the debates and research that queries the benefit of them.

• Posted

Thankyou so much for your comments. Very, very helpful
    • Posted

The cough I had with ramipril was hard and dry and there was no phlegm - of any colour. The cough started after a month, when the dose was increased, and the dr changed me immediately onto Losartan which has had no side effects.  If your husband has been on Ramipril for 7 years one would have expected side effects to have manifested themselves long before now so I would be doubting that the cough is due to the Ramipril.

I couldn't say anything about the statin as I also refused to take them as did my husband - in fact don't get me started on the subject!! I think Mo is right when she says the side effects for statins are usually muscular.  Liver problems with statins? Hadn't heard of that before but I suppose if the statin blocks the enzyme in the liver that produces cholesterol it is a recipe for trouble.

• Posted

Thankyou for the reply and your comments. My husband has had the symptoms for some time on and off and I have read others who have had similar issues who have been on ramipril for a number of years. Anyway he is going to visit the doctor again this week.
    • Posted

It is not at all uncommon for side effects to suddenly manifest themselves after you have been on a drug for some time.  Our doctor was adamant that a 'Ramipril cough' was dry and irritating, and tested for all sorts of other things.  It was only when I was reading this forum, by chance, that I found several other descriptive accounts of this dreadful cough, written by other people, that could have been written by my husband.

Since this is the third 'family' of BP meds my husband has tried, 1st lot, terribly swollen ankles, 2nd lot, plummeting Sodium levels, and now this, we are trying quackery!  Hibiscus tea, Hawthorne tea, walking 5 miles a day, weight loss, and now flax seed, in an attempt to get blood pressure down 'naturally' and be rid of all the tablets.

• Posted

Thankyou once again. It's nice to know you're not alone and that others are going or have been through the same.
  • Posted

Yesterday somebody on a different forum where I was asking for advice told me about some Canadian research where adding 30g a day of Flax seeds had resulted in an average 15 points reduction in Systolic Blood pressure and 8 point reduction in Diastolic.  He had really reduced his blood pressure within a week.  

We are going to try this tomorrow, I've found a recipe for flax Parmesan crackers, if we have any success I will report back.  At least do no harm!

• Posted

That sounds really interesting. Good luck with it. Will be great if it works

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.