Help with decifiring a condition

Posted , 2 users are following.

Is there such a thing as meningitis induced hydrocephalus?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I know someone with hydrocephalus who has had meningitis more than once, don't know if that helps. I would ask a neurologist
  • Posted

Hi Zico,

Yes, there is we have pages of information on this condition.

The following 2 links will help you:

https://patient.info/doctor/normal-pressure-hydrocephalus

https://patient.info/doctor/Hydrocephalus.htm

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Thanks for your answer.

I'm asking because a boy has been dealing with some complicated neurosurgeries after being diagnosed with meningitis; however, upon surgery, it was found that there was fluid-buildup, but they had no clue what this was and I thought it could be meningitis induced hydrocephaly!

Thanks once again

• Posted

Hi Zico,

I only know because my brother-in-law had a shunt fitted from his brain in to his stomach, to drain excess fluid build up, which is called Hydrocephalus on the brain. Excessive fluid can damage the brain.

My brother-in-law had the operation done in Bristol, to have the tube guided under the skin to the stomach. The fluid cannot be removed completely from the body, which is why the shunt was fitted.

My brother-in-law is a manager of a large Engineering company in the UK, and deals with Germany as well. He does have to carry Class "A" medication with him at all times, because the Hydrocephalus can cause severe headaches.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Hi Zico,

I forgot to say how my brother-in-law ended up with the shunt surgery, he initially had meningitis. He went through a lot of pain, because the first shunt became blocked while he was still in hospital, so the procedure was done again. Since the second line was fitted he has had no problems until recently - the headaches are becoming worse, normally it means the shunt needs renewing. He has had it for over 15 years now.

But if left unchecked, it can be fatal - we were told that when he was in Bristol Hospital.

Many years ago now, we lost our 13 month old nephew to meningitis, he playing with his sister in the afternoon, by 4pm he was on life-support, and before 10pm he was pronounced brain stem dead. It shocked us by just how fast this can be so quick  on a child.

When we had our second son, he was on the meningitis vaccination trial, which was the first of it's kind in the UK. We were interviewed on Sky News, to make people more aware of meningitis vaccination and why it was so important.

Regards,

Les.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.