Tell me I am not alone....

Posted , 6 users are following.

I need some help. I have been on 20mgs of Cipralex for close to a year. I have recently weaned myself off of it as I could not deal with the numbess and side effects. I reduced my dose slowly and I am now on day 4 of no cipralex however, the last few days have honestly been like a living hell. I cannot have any outside distractions or stimulation such as the TV, people talking on the bus make me freak out, headaches, constant crying and suicidal thoughts. I went to my doctor today to explain what was going on and his answer was to throw more cipralex at me. I feel totally alone and at the end of my rope.  I have no where to turn and I don't know what to do. I finally gave in and took a pill today, and I hate myself for doing it.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Wendy. i had heard somewhere that short term low doses of fluroxetine(prozac) are often used to help patients come off escitalopram. thing is, if you are depressed, you will be helped by anti-depressants to lead a normal life. i have had depression & anxiety on & off for long spells since my 20's. i have also had one to one cbt (cognitive behavior therapy) which helped me so much long term. i currently take 15mg escitalopram & 80mg propanalol daily which maintains me as me- no numbness, expressive & able to experience all normal emotions. depression can be a long term condition that needs maintenance to control chemical imbalances in the brain. if a tablet makes me function normally then so be it!!! try not to look as taking anti depressants as an enemy; they have there purpose, & there is absolutely no shame in having to take them to lead a normal life. maybe you just need to try a different one so i would recommend you talk to your gp, or try a lower dose. hope this helps. x
    • Posted

Hi,

Thank you so much for your response. I think I may need to look into seeing a different GP at this point. I don't feel like mine listens to me at all. I am seeing a therapist although I have only had one appointment they recommended me going into a group anxiety meeting but I have not heard back from them yet. I will check into possibly changing medications, I really feel like I can't function without them but I also can't function with just feeling totally numb. Its like a lose lose situation. Thank you so much for your help

• Posted

your not alone. it can be very frightening.

just go back and take a portion of your meds until your ready to try again . it's called discontinuation syndrome and I had it for 23 days.

• Posted

Hi Wendy, Had you discussed with your doctor to cut the cipralex the first time or you did it alone? I had cut the pill myself slowly slowly after 1,5 years the first time, because I was feeling well, but unfortunatelly after some months the symptons and phobias/ panics, appeared again and stronger than the past. This is called ipotropiasis, which means that one year is a very low period for these pills generally. Now I am taking 20 mg of Cipralex and this time I am not thinking when I am going to cut them. Maybe never I do not know and I am 49y old.

Also in a difficult situations as long distrance trips alone, or very stressfull matters I also take some benzodiapine of 5 mg. I had no dipression but since 25 panic attacs and stress. In case you have side effects from cipralex you should taste something else and do not be afraid. My mother takes them since she was 35 and now is 70 and she is ok. I wish you to continue well and find something suitable for you! 

• Posted

If you had worked hard to quit it you should have stick to your plan. The thoughts and feelings will go away gradually if you could endure the pain .
  • Posted

wendy i only cut down from 15 mg to 10 mg of cipralex and omg i thought i was loosing it , i had symptoms of shakiness , nauseated to the point of wanting to vomit and dizzy . Went back into my dr and added klonazepam to help with the side effects and it finally is after 3 weeks on it. i was very hesitant on even taking a antidepressant but did so because anxiety was so bad i wasnt functioning been almost a year now just on the cipralex. took a long time to find a antidepressant that was wright for me ...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.