Want to put my experience suffering with a mental health condition into a novel

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello all,

Well,as of writing I am currently sat in the psychiatric hospital.

I have been here now for 10 days and shall remain here for no less than two weeks more receiving treatment.

I have recently been diagnosed with suffering with delusional psychotic disorder.

I don't know how long I have been suffering with this condition,nor do I know what part of my adult life has been real or not but what I do know is that ten months ago it catapulted and ultimately led to me trying to commit suicide,been arrested and placed in here.

The reason I am writing is because I believe that I have one hell of a story to tell and would love nothing more than to put my notes which I have wrote down put into a novel as I believe it would help me with my recovery and also if this project of .I could help even one person suffering from a mental health condition,it can't be all that bad.I am not the most articulate and definitely no Sidney Sheldon or John Grisham but I believe I have come up with a solution of a way of getting my notes transformed into a novel and bringing this to fruition.

Patient.Info is a site that I visited numerous times under different aliases over the last ten months and found it a great source of help and comfort so I feel it is the right thing to do with starting this project of mine in the first place were I saw help.

I was hoping to get some advice on a way of moving forward with this,maybe some people on here know of someone in this Industry regarding the writing of novels.

I would also like to thank those that responded to my posts over the last ten months and offered me there help and support and to thank the people at patient.Info,keep up the good work.Thank you in advance for any forth coming advice,Best regards

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi dylanpatrick

sorry to hear you're in hospital , but hopefully with the right treatment.  you will start to feel better.

.I don't know a great deal on how to get a book published, only that there are many stages to get through first. Sending copies of books to possible publishers is the final stage of a long hard journey.

You haven't been at the hospital long, so perhaps you should concentrate on getting the right treatment and using your energy to help you get better.

Its great that you have a project to aim for, and I think that's something you could work towards.

in the meantime, why not do a creative writing course. This would occupy you and give you an interest without the pressure. You haven't been in hospital long, so concentrate on getting better first, rather than just focusing on this one thing and nothing else. Carry on writing notes for your future book, but don't let this idea consume you. You also have to be aware of the fact that publishers receive millions of books from would be authors and as such many go unread or discarded

Hope you start to feel better soon and good luck in your writing

• Posted

Hi dylanpatrick

I agree with Vickylou, concentrate on looking after yourself and getting well first and foremost - keep the pressure off and keep the writing a therapeutic and secondary goal for now.

I think writing about your experiences is quite a therapeutic practice and while I don't know anything about writing a book, I'm currently writing an extensive thesis for my studies and I have a few pieces of advice that might be useful.

My first piece of advice would be to keep writing notes - these are essentially the first step to writing a book and are actually probably the most important part. I always find my best ideas and best writing comes when I'm relaxed or even when I'm frustrated about my work and vent about it in my research journal. it takes  t h pressure off and lets you write freely - it's enjoyable and extremely useful. When you come to write your book you can read through your notes, highlighting what you want to put in or even photocopy and cut out your notes and reorder them into the a flowing narrative around which you can construct the body of your book.

I find that I find it helpful to write about what I hope to achieve with my thesis, what story do I want to tell. This might be something worth thinking about - what are your hopes for your book, what messages do you want to convey and what kind of story do you want to tell. 

Also, remember that no writing is wasted writing - so far I probably have the best part of a thesis which won't actually end up making it into my final thesis. Writing is a journey (and a slow and repetitive one at times), but it's important to remember that even the words that don't make it into the final piece will have contributed greatly to your skill as a writer, and will make your book what it is.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck, look after yourself and enjoy your writing :-)

• Posted

Hi dylanpatrick, I think that's a great idea! When I was in hospital I wrote a lot - I found it very therapeutic. Perhaps keeping a journal of your experiences and journey would help to be both therapeutic and provide a creative outlet? There are many publishing options which you could look into later - including self publishing. I would focus on your time in hospital and your recovery - it may prove to be the most important chapter in your story. All the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.