Seizures? Or nerve condition?

Posted , 2 users are following.

So i get this feeling in the back of my neck and creeps up my head and down my shoulders then I have this constant feeling of needing to move and it's like my muscles spasm usually more in just my arms and neck and my hands feel backwards and I want to talk but can't when I go to talk it's almost like I'm confused ..also I am completely aware the whole time.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lindsay,

You are asking if it's Seizures or a Nerve condition, both are actually related to one another.

How long do these sessions actually last, or is all the time - or intermittently?

If you look at Epilepsy grand mal or petite these would give electrical pulses around the brain, you would need to see a Neurologist to have tests done.

However, what you are describing is not Epilepsy at all, but it is a form of seizure called a Functional Episode - now, what happens during this type of seizure is parts of your body spasm which you have mentioned, but you are totally aware of what is going on around you. What you cannot do is communicate in anyway whatsoever, no speaking, you cannot squeeze someones hand, you lose control of all body muscles spasms. You would need to see a Neurologist that specializes in Neurosymtoms - some Neurologists know of Functional Seizures but some don't. It's a bit of a hit and miss affair.

What you need to note, is with Functional Seizures you can hear see, but not able to do anything anyone tells you to do - now, these types of seizures have 28 variations. This is why you need to seek medical advice ASAP, a Neurologist can prescribe medication that may lower the number of seizures per day, at first it might take time to get you on the correct drug.

Hope that helps,

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

This helps me a lot! Thank you for your feedback!

They are intermittent and mainly in the evening and night time. They last usually between 1-5minutes but have lasted longer on occasion..

• Posted

Hi Lindsay,

You're welcome!

There are a few important factors I missed off completely - a test in hospital will decide if they are Epileptic or Functional Seizures. I have listed the differences between the two below.

1. Epilepsy - During seizures, these are caused by excessive electrical  brain activity, which can be measured by an EEG test.

2. Functional Episodes - During this type of seizure, which are normally last much less than an Epileptic seizure. When an EEG test is performed it will not show any electrical brain activity. It is basically just muscle spasms, however you cannot communicate with anyone. This can be a frightening experience because you can hear and see perfectly.

Low Blood Pressure

With either type of seizure your blood pressure may drop, this is normal and will be back to normal within usually 30-60 minutes after either seizure. This is caused, if you hyperventilating (over-breathing) during a seizure, and may cause a panic attack to become worse.

Regards,

Les.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.