Herbal Help for Hiatus Hernia

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was diagnosed with a large Hiatus Hernia 3 years ago.

Having suffered another bout of pain and discomfort for the last 4 months, the Lanzeprazol didn't help, the doctor offered me a Gastroscopy (camera) to check inside but I wasn't keen having had one before. I couldn't eat many things, sticking to a very plain diet and NO alcohol sad.

In desperation I went to see a Herbalist a friend recommended. They interviewed me for over an hour asking about my health, work and lifestyle then prescribed a bottle of tincture containing the relevent herbs in liquid form to drink with water 3 times a day. Within a week I felt better, the pain subsided gradually and I was able to introduce a variety of foods without a reaction and can now drink alcohol again smile.

The herbs also help with my anxiety levels and sleeping so overall I'm really pleased (and so is my wife).

This may not be for everyone but it may be worth trying if you are desperate like I was.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

A hiatus hernia is a mechanical problem. Part of the stomach has pushed up into the chest through the hiatus hole in the diaphragm for the oesophagus to normally pass through.

The lower oesophageal sphincter is comprised of two main sets of muscles: diaphragmatic (ie of the diaphragm) and crural (around the base of the oesophagus). The repositioning of the stomach in a hiatus hernia means the muscles no longer co-ordinate at the same point along the oesophageal tube so incomplete closure of the sphincter occurs permitting reflux.

The only thing that actually works to prevent reflux is lifestyle change. Medication only reduces the acidity of the refluxate to make it less dangerous.

Herbal medicines may provide a feeling of comfort but cannot repair a hiatus hernia.

If you have persistent reflux of acid and bile, it can cause permanent damage to the oesophagus (Barrett's Oesophagus which can lead to cancer). Barrett's cells are actually less sensitive than the squamous cells they replace and some people think their acid reflux has gone away.

Your doctor wanted to give you a gastroscopy to check no damage had been done. These treatments are not offered lightly, only if there is a possibility of real concern.

• Posted

Hi Paul15516

I presume you are referring to 'Lansoprazole'; I take one 15mg every morning for my sliding hiatus hernia but get no pain whatsoever (no reflux or GORD) but I also have an IPF but can drink up to 13 units of alcohol weekly.

I suppose it is a question that not everyone is the same and diseases affect people in different ways. However, I am full of praise for herbal remedies as I am a retired Aromatherapy Masseur.

The key perhaps is to keep smiling as each day is a bonus.

Jazztrain

• Posted

I am so happy you are finding relief from the tincture of herbs. My story is similar to yours. The doctor's can't seem to help. I started marshmallow root (taken after I eat) and mastic gum in the morning on empty stomach. Coconut oil in pill form throughout day.

I am wondering what herbs are in your tincture? I heard slippery elm is also good and you can get a tea with it. So sad that billions of people suffer from GERD and gastro problems and yet there is no lasting relief from the meds.

• Posted

hey paul..my hiatal hernia gives me nausea and lack of appetite..please please tell me the name of that herb or message me your email so that i can also contact those herbalist..i.need ur help.immediately
    • Posted

hi rabiya...I would recommend that you locate and visit a professional herbalist in your area to seek help directly. No two people are the same. They will listen to your symptoms and may explore your lifestyle before prescibing a herbal remedy that they believe is right for you. Obviously the herbs do not repair the physical hiatus hernia but can make the symptoms easier to cope with. Oviously you should also visit your Doctor for an official diagnosis if you haven't already done so. I have been taking the herbal remedy now for 18months with the same reduction in symptoms I am pleased to report. Good luck with this!

• Posted

my hiatal.hernia was diagnosed on 26 April and drs only prescribed ppis..i need to know what herbs are you using?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.