22 fibroids removed open abdominal myomectomy

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello all 4 days ago I had open abdominal myomectomy resulting in the removal of 22 fibroidsi was previously on esyma to reduce the size if them which worked by reducing my womb from 20weeks to 16weeks in size.

It took 3hrs I had a epidural also as the anesthesist said it would help reduce blood loss

I'm home now with prescription of tramadol and paracetamol

I have staple like closures feel like Frankenstein bride.

The pain is pretty bad but I'm hopeful I'll be up and better soon.after being suferring for 8years of heavy bleeding iron tranfusions pain depression embarrassing accidents.etc

I'll keep you all updated on my recovery..ask me anything Happy to answer. Will help the time pass as I'm literally bed ridden..

Stay positive ladies

2 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi hope you are feeling better and the pain has started to go.  

I have been on Esyma for 2 months so far, so fingers crossed my fibroids will have shrunk. (i had an op but they couldnt do anything as my 5cm fibroid was filling my uterus, they wanted to partly remove them.) 

i go back to see my consultant next month - i am hoping for hystorectomy? as she said i was a prime candidate for one.

Keep moving as that will help, also when you need to cough put a pillow over your wound and bend over in crash position which will help with the pain if you need to cough.

• Posted

Hi I was interested in what op you had that has failed was it Myomectomy? I have a large fibroid 10cm and I have just had a Uterine Fibroid Embolsation 8 days ago if it grows back in 1-5 years I want to then consider Myomectomy. I will always refuse a Hysterectomy as I will be 50 in September. I had zoladex injections the hot flushes were extreme so I don't fancy going through the menopause early. Good luck x
    • Posted

hi Patricia, i was due to have an Embolsation but they found another fibroid that was 5cm that was blocking my uterus and couldnt get past it.  I was on Zoldex for 3 months prior to the proceedure. I am suffering now from flushes since being on Zoldex and now on Emrya.  Will see what the consultant has to say.  

How they missed the 5cm as i had a scan 2 weeks previous to this.

x

• Posted

Last thing I want to say is If the Gynocolgy offer you a Endometrial Embolisation they will tell you it will either work or not work. And if it doesn't work you will be no worse off. Which is not true my stomach doubled in size and my periods went from heavy to espisodes of flooding so it's up to if want to risk that happening to you. Good luck x
    • Posted

Sorry the procedure I just mentioned is called Endometrial Abalation not Emoblisation lol
    • Posted

Hi briggsy

You mentioned you was on zoladex for 3 months. Was it the monthly inhection. Are you still having hot flushes how long does it last for. I had zoladex in September I had a myomecyomy in December removed 12 fibroids. But I still have bad hot flushes. And u still have not had a period since September. How long before I'm back to normal. Help

• Posted

Patricia, my 20 year old daughter had a 12x12 fibroid. Took zoladex for 6 months. Shrunk F from size of melon to size of surgeon's fist. She had open myo 5 days ago. Recovering at home now. Hoping that all goes well and she can enjoy a life free from the pain and floods of blood that frightened us so much. Hope all goes well for you and you find a solution. Nasty blinking things
    • Posted

Hi Soph88550, I had the Zoladex monthly for 3 months, before my attempted op.  Straight after they put me on Eryma to stop my periods and shrink the frybroids so my hot flushes have not stopped at all.  

Sorry I couldnt help you further - hope you feel better soon x

• Posted

Thanks hev and good luck to your daughter too. I would have had a Myomectomy but Gynocoligist said it wasn't possible (I'm 49) so I only had a choice of either Hysterectomy or UAE which is why I had it done

Your daughter is a lot younger than me so it was right for her. Yeah Fibroids are nasty things just recovering at home now x

• Posted

No problems. Thanks hopefully the hot flushes will stop soon and my body can get back to normal. Although I suffer from really bad acid reflux so I guess I will never be normal. Lol
    • Posted

Hi briggsy. So whats your condition with taking esmya? Did u gain weight ? Did it grow again after stopping esmya? So had open myo yes? So your belly is back to normal again flat?
    • Posted

Hi there

I still have my Fibroids - unsure if they have shrunk or not as yet as i still have quite a bit of pain/cramping with them.  I have been on them since December 22nd.  I have another consultant appt on 25.02 where i am hoping they give me a hysto.

hope this helps x 

• Posted

Thanks. Will have my ob on 29th feb. They will give me procedure what to do. I read the booklet they gave me with all the procedures. Esmya was there too. I dont know really what i will say this 29th.. wanted to try esmya but not sure
  • Posted

Hi there!

Wow sounds like you had a major operation!

I'm 2 weeks post op for my open myo and 18 fibriods were removed but they dont sound to be as big as yours.... she had to leave 10 inside me as they were too small to remove. I was put on Decapetyl before surgery which puts you into the early menopause and reduces the risk of blood loss and an emergnecy hysterectomy - it also reduces the size of the fibriods too....

I had a horizontal cut - sounds like you may have had a vertical cut if they were very big? The first few days are the worst and then it gets so much better... I had to stay in hospital for 10 days as i had some complications after surgery - nothing to do with the surgery just bad luck I think, they found a blood clot in my lung and i needed a blood transfusion and an infusion and then I got an infection but thankfully thats all resolved and Ive turned a corner... The ony thing i would say is once you start to feel like moving around, try and do as little as possible - i didnt listen to the nurses when i left hospital and within 2 hours of leaving I had totally over done it and was feeling awful! Stay lying down for as long as you can and move around bit by bit! i managed to walk the dog to the shops last night (the shops are very near!!!) but was delighted with the progress - i did fall asleep on the couch early though after that! Do not lift anything at all if you want the incision to heal nicely - i was told the heaviest thing to lift is a cup of tea, so if you have help at home take total advantage of it at lest for the first three weeks till you feel stronger again! I still have the bandages on my incision but once i take them off I'm going to start to use Bio Oil to try and heal the wound up a little... 

I do hope your recovery is quick and that you start to feel pain free soon..... Do let us know how you are getting on! Talk soon and rest well smile 

• Posted

hi dee49358 seems as though you have beeen through the war yourself, its rough ennough having the operation and what comes with that, but having complications like youb did HARSH.. glad you are gettin g ovver it now and feeling poitive.

all i can say is uts been a few 3 weeks now and im feeling soo much better .

however i must say tyhere were days i honestly questiond was uit worth it.. the pain became so unbearable i can only liken it to havoiing my middle opened up took out put through a mincer sheer hell i was eating tramadol untill they had no effect..like you say ladies TAKE IT EASY doont try n do asnythiong you thought was an easy tassk before its not.

another thing i think i need to mention and may open a disscussioon on is the trapped air in your abdoman after the operation OMG!

Week two i thought id venture downstairs and see the state of the kitchen since i was bed ridden wanted to make sure my 15 daughter wasn keeping on top of thing she wasant lollll. i decided litrally just to put a few things away n wipe the surface WRONG MOVE i gt carried away with the radio on and just moved a little to quickly and the sharpest stabbing pains surrended me back to bed.

this wweek my dreaded period started on wednesday first day was light and easy second day was agony and heavy third day heavy with no pain fouth day minimal pain minimal bleeding fith day NO PERIOD..

Icouldnrt belive it i kept expecting it to restatt i stil cant gety over it me with the two week heavy flooding i THANKED GOD!! up above for this blesssing and LITRALLY shed tears of joy hopefuly it will be breezy from now on.

yes ladies its rough to have any of theses operation but how we exsisted nbefore sufferiing anxious in pain constantly, it  has tto be done and DEE49358 Im on the bio oil as well also i found a really good tutoriosl on youtube under massagheiing a c section scar which i find helpful

take care for now 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.