Polyps seen,but not removed. Why not ???

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a colonoscopy about 4 months ago (gas and Air) It was done by a male nurse,who said he had done hundreds of them,

He did not travel very far up the colon,saying it was very difficult, as he poked and pushed ,and prodded, to no avail. I did happen to see  a patch of somthing that looked like a field of mushrooms ,I commented on

this vision, and there was no response .I was asked to perform a change of position onto my back with knees raised ,and one ankle resting on my knee .Watching the camera being withdrawn ,i saw  the black tubing and asked why, reply was, so he could see where he had been , I thought

the camera did this on it's own.

after the painful procedure was over, he said he had seen "some " 

polyps but was not removing them. 

A letter from the consultant was sent quite a while after ,saying he would see me in clinic.   which has not happened, so I have no answers  to 

my numerous questions .I don't suppose any of you had the same experience????

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I would certainly ring and demand to see someone. Polyps should not be overlooked. Mine was removed at the time of the procedure but that was just one. Ask why you haven't heard anything. I seems to me like you have got lost in the system. Let us know how you get on
    • Posted

I do try to make progress in seeing people. but the system is full of

closed doors.at worst, and  at best ,someone will promise to !Look into "it" Next road to try will be to ring the consultant' s  secretary,I find that

they can be helpful.Trying to get to the person who can answer the questions ,my questions is NOT easy

• Posted

You should have definitely rang the consultants secretary and insist on an immediate appointment. You always have a follow up appointment after this procedure . Usually within about 6 weeks. Good luck. But you need to get tougher by the sounds of it
  • Posted

It is so important you see someone else, I can't understand why they weren't removed, I don't want to scare you but I lost my sister last year to bowel cancer, sher had 3 polyps and one was very large, but she didn't know until it was too late! 

Please see someone asap! Good luck

• Posted

This was my second visit,both sigmoid . The first one was done by a doctor ,and i used the gas and air, over did it really, caused by fright.

The pictures were interesting, I did squeak a few times, but the doctor

just spoke to me and made me feel at ease.  

The second one was done because I had an abcess that burst

in my colon. It was done only one month after I was discharged, and I

was still feeling quite sore,

That session was totally different, the nurse who did it may have been

experienced but he was having a hard time moving up the colon,

and did in fact finish before he had gone to where he should have

I have no idea why he didn't remove the polyps, he probably didn't

have the ability to do  it.

I understood that polyps were removed if found. I appreciate your comment about seeing  someone else,

but the referal system has to be gone through again As  I said, I am

still waiting to see the consultant about this one 

I am 75  and probably come under the "Too old to bother with "

Quite frankly, I am tired of chasing doctors and consultants  

• Posted

I am assuming you are in the UK. Nurse endoscopists have been practising for a couple of decades but, as far as I am aware, their activities are restricted to diagnostic oesophago-gastro-duodenoscopy and sigmoidoscopy with or without biopsy on non-sedated patients. You can find more information on the website of the British Society of Gastroenterology It sounds like you had a sigmoidoscopy i.e. a look at the rectum and sigmoid colon not the entire colon . What procedure you were having should have been explained to you beforehand as you will have been asked to sign a consent form. The change of position during the procedure is quite normal. It helps the practitioner to manoevre the endoscope. It's possible that nurse endoscopists are not allowed to remove polyps only to take biopsies. Different hospitals have different admin procedures. Were you given any leaflets explaining post-procedural advice, phone numbers etc? Call them to arrange an appointment. Sounds like your paperwork may have been lost in the system.
    • Posted

Hello limeleaf (your nom de plume )makes me smile .

Right, your assumption is correct , where I am ,and the procedure I 

had ,though it was only half a procedure ,the,the nurse ,gave up, as 

he could not get past the first corner.Literature was given,papers signed. I think it might be a good idea if the person doing  a

procedure, should also be made to sign a consent form ,to take 

care of the patient, and be held responsible for any damage they

cause,

I have been "damaged " twice  on two different ocassions, and 

still bear the scars, and not a lot of faith in surgical procedures

which has proved right ,,--- again  ---

Probable reason for carelessness .is the hospital is a Teaching 

hospital, and ,a little knowledge is dangerous,hence the mistakes.

I did ask, befoore I signed the consent form ,that NO learners be

allowed to do the job. Made no difference

• Posted

just to bring you up to speed Spoke to the consultant' s secretary.

and have written to him 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.