burning and tingling with muscle twitches as well as stabbing pains in my hands and feet

Posted , 4 users are following.

About 8 months ago I woke up with a bad crick in my neck. It took a couple weeks before the crick healed, but it left me with a visibly offset crooked neck while looking in the mirror. One month ago while setting on the sofa that my muscles in my back on the crick side were pulling causing a slight ache. Also my fingers on the crick side will occasionally tingle. About one week ago my lower legs, feet, forearms and hands started burning, twitching, and aching , especially when up walking. At night it wakes me up from time to time and is miserably depressing. I read that it could be Neurapathy. I have not been to a health care professional yet. My family keeps telling me that my nerves are probably impinge due to the crick and crooked neck and that I should go to a Chiropractor. I would certainly appreciate any input, Thanks

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

This is just my opinion, but I think you should see your doctor. Doc may want to do an x-ray or MRI, doc can refer you to a physical therapist, doc can provide medicine for inflammation if necessary and I would think doc can provide guidance on seeing a Chiro.

I've had a simialr issue as you - mine started with an injury from working out. The doc wanted to be sure nothing more serious was going on it my neck, so he did an MRI. I went to physical therapy which helped the inflammation greatly and gave me some relief. I later followed up with a chiro who showed me some exercises to do to help me when the problem flares up. I also had a nerve test to be sure I had no permanent damage.

The problem does flare from time to time, usually with too much activity, so I use my exercises with Advil to help relieve the inflammation. I've also found that making sure I take plenty of magnesium and potassium helps fight off the twitching, cramping and tingling (should discuss taking these supplements with your doc first, esp. potassium).

Hope you can find relief soon!

• Posted

Yes!  I agree with the ptassium and especially magnesium.  Magnesium has done wonders for my muscles that use to cramp, get tense, and twitch!
    • Posted

Thank you Sir, I really appreciate the info. I find this to be very depressing, this situation. I will take your word for it. What's weird, I feel perfectly fine except for all the extremities going wild.
  • Posted

I'm having similar problems that started with an incredibly stiff neck about a year ago. It hurt to move my head. After a couple months I started getting muscle spasms all over my body. Even in my hips while driving. Then I woke up one morning, about 3 months after the stiff neck started, and felt like I had been hit by a truck. I saw my doctor who sent me to a physical therapist. I had a MRI. on my neck and it showed nothing abnormal. My doctor gave me muscle relaxers & Ultram for the pain. She also recommended Magnesium. About 5 months into this my hands and feet would go numb and I started losing my balance. I fell twice while just walking along. All of a sudden I felt like I slipped on ice. Went to the Neurologist & was told I have Neuropathy, but they don't know what's causing it. Because of the other symptoms my doc thinks it's an autoimmune disorder. I'm now taking Lyrica for the nerve pain and it's wonderful. It's been 13 months since my symptoms started and I still don't have a diagnoses. Frustrating.

You may want to be checked for Neuropathy. The pain & tingling you have sounds like it. Also, you might want to get checked for a pinched nerve

I wish you luck and hope you find out what it is soon.

• Posted

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it. I had a terrible crick in my neck about 8 months ago. When it finally healed, it left me with a visibly crooked neck and an offset head. Recently on the side the crick was, my muscles pull and slightly ache when I'm setting. I somehow feel this could be the root of my problem. The nerve tingling, with shooting pains and numbing toe tips is a very miserable situation. My fingers on the crick side also tingle when I am in a certain posture.
  • Posted

I would go and see a chiropractor, and soon. The quicker you go after a problem, the easier and quicker it is to fix. I would follow this up by seeing a physiotherapist to ensure your posture is correct and to strengthen your muscles so it doesn't happen again.
    • Posted

My chiropractor would take x-rays before doing any manipulation. If you are in UK and want to do this on NHS, see your GP, who will probably request x-rays or MRI and recommend physiotherapy. There are very few NHS chiropractors. I'm concerned you didn't get your neck investigated when it happened 8 months ago. Please do get this investigated and soon.
    • Posted

Thank you so much. I guess the reason I didn't think much about it until now, my neck has been visibly crooked but until I started having the neurapathy pain, that got me on the ball. I hope I haven't waited so long that I will always have this problem. Neurapathy pain and aggravation is horrible . If a person has never experienced it before, they can't imagine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.