2 x sessile serrated polyps found - extremely anxious

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I am currently awaiting a histology report and am extremely anxious about the pending results. (Apparently they take 10 days.)

I am a 38 year old mum to two littlies and last week I went for a colonoscopy to investigate low ferritin levels. No gastro cause was identified (it's probably just because I'm vegetarian) but, incidentally, a small area of diverticulosis was seen and 2 x 6 mm sessile serrated polyps were found and removed from my ascending colon.

I have no colorectal cancer in my family, however my mother (70) has diverticulosis and just had two sessile serrated polyps removed recently (histology showed fully benign) and my brother (39) has ulcerative colitis.

Does anybody know the likelihood these would already contain cancer cells/high-grade dysplasia? Even if benign, I'm now concerned about the possibility some were missed, having read about the trickiness of visualising these pale flattish lesions. The surgeon said the two he removed 'look benign' and said that, if they are, I will need three-yearly follow-up colonoscopies. Would it be wise to pay for more frequent colonoscopies if I am *that* concerned?

Any help with my questions would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Bea smile

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I live in the US.  Here, where there is no NHS, whatever health care is available, is limited to the private insurance policy regulations, which is whatever the whims of the insurance company are.  Once over 65 yrs old, insurance is through Medicare by the federal government, and some doctors refuse to see Medicare patients because their  reimbursement for any visits is less, sometimes far less.

America has very good medical care, but only for those who can afford it.

I do know that there is a DNA test available which shows whether one has a gene that makes colon/rectal cancer far more likely.  So far, all your family history indicates some form of irritable bowel disease (IBD) is present, but not cancer.  I don't know the name of the DNA test, and of course, not sure if NHS does that test, but it would give me peace of mind in treating IBD without the threat of cancer always present.

In the US, just knowing that doctors work on a fee for service (FFS) basis, that is, they get paid more for doing more procedures especially, makes me very skeptical of any doctor's motivation for doing invasive procedures, as that is how they make big money. 

I also know from policies I have read that doing 3 year intervals of colonoscopies is common for followup when certain lesions are found, and also that some IBD does lead to increased likelihood of colon cancer down the road. 

Wish you the best.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. I think ruling out a potential gene factor is a good idea, even if just for peace of mind. If there *is* going to be a significant heightened risk for colorectal cancer, I would certainly investigate preventative surgical options i.e. Colectomy or similar.
  • Posted

I had polyps removed and they were beign. As far as I know they take biopsy anyway. They are very commom just as some folks have them in the nose! If your asked to go for another colonoscopy and it was'nt a problem just get it as it will put your mind at rest .If they did the full colonoscopy I would not be, for myself, too concerned
  • Posted

Hi , just noticed from your earlier contacts, I am not sure about the DNA  that we may be exposed to but I think, in most families we do have shared health issues through our genes. I know I shared my Dads varicose veins and could go on!! The main thing is you and your doctor keep on top of your concerns. That's what they are there for. Best wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.