New to reading and understanding labs. Help please

Posted , 4 users are following.

Got a copy of my labs as I was just diagnosed with non graves Hyperthyroid due to hot nodule.   I have no clue what a normal range is.   Dr. Only said my numbers indicate hyper but they're not bad. ( his words). Any guidance is very apreciated.  

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Sorry ,.... For some strange reason my photo won't attach?  Anyone? 
  • Posted

Other 1/2 
    • Posted

TraceySue:

Too much T3 Liothyronine is not good, because it can bother the heart.  You have a bit too much so hopefully Tapazole helps calm this.

The rest of the blood work is okay.  TPOA & T3 needs to be re-tested after your on Tapazole in 6 to 8 weeks.

Shelly

• Posted

So for the first half your TSH level is at 0.01 (same as mine) and the range it's supposed to be is right next to that (0.40 I think, I'm on my phone so I can't check your pic)

TSH is the hormone released by your pituitary gland that tells your body to produce more thyroxine. Since presumable you have too much, your body doesn't need more and that's why your level is basically nil.) your second half is different from mine, I'll check my labs when I'm on my laptop (unless someone else answers)

• Posted

Thank you JJ.   Just started meds today.   I need SLEEP!!   Lol.
  • Posted

So i double checked and the rest of yours are different from mine in terms of measurement (mine are in pmol/L) but you can see that your T3 is 196 and a normal reference range is up to 181 so that a crazy amount higher, which is probably why he said 'not bad'. (My last T3 were double the range that was normal). Your antibodies are 9, and normal is just less than 9.  I've been waiting six weeks now to hear what my antibodies are. They apparently have to send the test out to Vancouver and I haven't heard back. 

I hope you get some good sleep smile I found once on the meds I started sleeping a lot more! Except that every day I had work I would wake up at 3am and every extra hour until work. 

• Posted

Thanks a ton for answering JJ.   Feel better,..... Hope you hear back soon on your bloodwork.    Best of luck!   
  • Posted

Hello Traceysue:

I am a RN in the USA and used to lab reports. So let me explain.

As I said before in your other post your TSH is very low end of the scale 0.01 and that is Hyperthyroid. Low end of the scale is TOO MUCH or HYPER and high end is TOO LITTLE or Hypo.  Normal should be 0.45 to 4.50.  The nodule may be acting like thyroid tissue and functioning like the gland.  Sometimes a nodule can do that. So right now you have way too much T4 (Thyroxine) in you.

Your Antibodies are "HIGH NORMAL" and at 9 so it is most likely that nodule causing it.  Hopefully it will go down after Tapazole.  Do watch that test in future blood work.   So you are inside of normal-ish now and you do not want that number to go any higher.

That is why a black dot is checked since it is there to alert you!  It should be re-tested after your Tapazole treatment or in about 6 to 8 weeks.

Shelly

• Posted

Thank you for all your help Shelly. And for explaining things way better then the endoc I was referred to did.   Once he knew I was not budging on doing RAI and I wanted to try the meds first, he pretty much just ended the office visit with " ok ,your to take the meds 3 XS a day and I'll see you in 6 weeks after you have new labs done".        ..... Ok doc bye!     Geeeez!   I just ordered some L carnitine too,   It should be here on Monday.   D3 too,   Oh quick new question,.... Is iodine ( lugals) good or bad for hyperthyroid?       
    • Posted

Hello Traceysue:

The thyroid needs some iodine but when you are Hyper (too much) you do not need much.  If you were low in hormone or in an area without iodine in the diet, then replacement of iodine might help. It is mostly used in HYPOTHYROIDISM.

If you eat Fish, you can get a lot of iodine from that. Bake some Salmon, and you will get enough iodine and Omega3 oils that are good for the heart.  A Goiter forms in people who are Hypothyroid more and can also happen in some Hyper cases like Graves Disease.  So as long as you have a normal amount of iodine, all should be okay.

Yes, try the meds first and it may settle down from that.  I think it will respond okay to the Tapazole.  I have 3 nodules but they are not producing any hormone.

I know Doctor's today barely have time to examine you. At best you get 10 mins.  I have over 33 years of being a Registered Nurse, so I know a lot.  Plus I have Hashimoto's which is the opposite of Graves.  I know both sides of the disease very well.

Vit D is helpful as we age we do not process sunlight as we did as kids. We lose the ability to make D naturally. If you are over 30 years old, you are in that boat.   I am also on D3 so are a bunch of us thyroid patients.  I take 2000IU a day. Today we can prevent Osteoporosis by doing that and also stop muscle aches.

If you have any questions just ask, I know it is a lot of information to take in at first.

Shelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.