PAE Questions

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am schdelued to have a PAE soon however I have a few questions.

Currently, I cannot urinate on my own and self catherize three to four times daily. After doing the PAE, will I be able to self catherize for a few months and see if the PAE has worked. Has anyone here been self catherizing after doing the PAE?

I heard that the biggest risk of the PAE is that they may embolize the arteries going to the bladder or rectum. If this happens, what are the consequences? Is it reversible and what are the treatment options.

How soon can one go back to work after a PAE?  My job sometimes require me to lift some heavy file boxes.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Patrick,  I had my PAE June 2nd of this year. I felt some relief in about 10 days. I never did the catherizing so I can't speak to that side of it.

I don't think that anyone on this blog has mentioned the embolization of the rectum or bladder. Never heard of it. 

I can speak to the working part and lifting stuff after the procedure. 

About 4 dys after the procedure I started lifting things etc. I own a campground and had to work and get it open. Long short of it I think that I must have ruptured the artery a bit inside my leg because I became very black and blue from the inside of my leg down to my knee.

It took two weeks to clear up with really no pain. They say to wait two weeks to "work" and do physical things. I think that I proved them right on that. Having said that we are all so different and it is hard to say what will happen to you.  

Lastly my doc had done over 200 PAE's when he did me. I think experience says a lot. On this blog someone suggested that whoever does your PAE should have at least 50 under their belt...no pun intended.

PS I can now sleep through many nights, used to get up 3,4,5 times. I can still have some frequency issues during the afternoons. Everyday can be different. Hard to figure out why.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Patrick,

You seem to be in a similar situation to me when I had it done on 9/28/15.  I was 58 years old, had gone in to retention 14 months earlier prompted by taking antihistamines, was on a Foley catheter for 2 1/2 months and was self cathing 3-4 times a day and taking 8mg Rapaflo at the time of the PAE.  The procedure has helped a little (there's still hope for more improvement) and is definitely worth a try.  I'm self cathing 1-3 times a day and still on the same drug dosage.  The downside risks are minimal.  The way it was explained to me is that there would probably be some slight embolization of the rectum and seminal vesicle (which, I think, could make you sterile), but not enough to effect the rectum's function.  I was 90% over most effects of the procedure itself after 2 weeks.  You may want to wait a little longer to do heavy lifting if they go in throught the artery in your leg (as it could open up if not completely healed).  Dr. Isaacson usually goes in through the wrist. (in my case - he needed to do both)

I would suggest that you call him (Ari Isaacson at UNC Healthcare) to double-check anything I've said and get more info.  He's a great guy and takes the time to explain.  He's also done the second most in the US.  Best of luck and I'll be interested in comparing notes on our progress! 

• Posted

If your doctor was completely incompetent, and or drunk, you could have those side effects. I agree with Patrick. Get someone who has done a lot of them, and Dr. Isaacson is great.

Neal

• Posted

Nealpros,

My doctor WAS Dr. Isaacson - and he was neither.

• Posted

I was writing to Patrick. I agree with you that Dr. Isaacson is neither. I'll bet you didn't have either of those side effects with him either.

Neal

• Posted

He said it probably causes a little bit but the patient may never notice it.
  • Posted

Patrick,

you our can start white collar work immediately, but I would hold off on any heavy lifting for a few weeks. I had my PAE 9 months ago with Dr Isaacson at UNC. He is great. The risks of rectal or seminal damage is VERY rare, but with any procedure there is always the possibility that mistakes could be made. Most, if not all of the radiologists doing this procedure now are at the top of their field and the equipment they use is perfected. To be safe they have to list any possible problems, but no problems are expected. It is kind of like going to a gun range. There is a possibility you may shoot yourself in the foot, but who does that? 

• Posted

So many USA responses on PAE. Has anybody had this or Urolift done in the UK and what were the results?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.